1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How much $ would you spend on this Gold Cup?

Hello all. I have a chance to purchase a Series 70 blue Colt Gold Cup that is in dire need of attention for $300. I do not know alot about these Colt 1911 values and would like your opinion. Here are the following things that I have found about it.

1. Surface rust.
2. Some pitting along the grip area.
3. A lot of scratches around the slide stop and safety area.
4. A funky ambi safety that i've NEVER seen before.
5. Worn bluing on slide, but no pitting.

These are a few things that caught my eye. Also, if I buy it, I would like to return it to original and use as a target only gun, I already have a carry gun. I believe this might cost me more than what the gun is worth. Take a look at the pics and let's hear from you. Thanks!;)

Also missing a few grip bushings and screws. And, what kinda ambi safety is that???

Check out the "rubber" MSH. Weird!

·
Registered
724 Posts
car54, I`d buy it in a New York minute. Sink $125 or so getting it hard chromed and look at what you`d have. Or leave it blue and touch it up with fine steel wool and Break Free oil + a little cold blue and have a good duty pistol that is also a good shooter. It`s a Colt no matter what. Bob

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input, Bob.

Does the "National Match" stand for a different model of Gold Cup, or are they all National Match?

·
Registered
724 Posts
car54, the pre series 70s were called National Match. Starting with the series 70 the name changed to Gold Cup National Match. This is a generalization but pretty close. I had a National Match that was built in 1967. It was hand fitted, had the fingerless fitted bushing, and came with a factory test target. Sold it twenty years ago. Sigh. Bob

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Jump on it. I was lucky and just got a SS Delta Elite for $400. Deals like these do not come along often (once or maybe twice in a lifetime). Send it to Colt and let them refinish it if you want or have it hard chromed. Either way would be nice.

So you put another $300 into to it to refinish and restore close to original. You now have $600 in a gun that is worth more than you put in it.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
That is the same ambi-safety and grip safety that my brother had on his 1 of 500 Combat Elite (before regular production without these features)

I would buy it and refinish it with the original blue finish and get some nice wood grips for it. You can send it to Colt but Bill Adair does good work on Colts also. http://www.restoration-gunsmith.com/

·
Registered
724 Posts
car54, it would tempt me at $400. It`s a Colt!!!! It`s got more possibilitys than a pick six. You`re from Texas too. You know what that is. Good Luck. Bob

·
Banned
5,951 Posts
car54.....

The pictured ambi is a Colt product that could be ordered from the factory for Series 70 pistols.

$300? It's a no brainer my friend. Jump on it!

Regards,
Sam

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great advise, guys! I appreciate the replies.:D Now, if I were to refinish it in the original bluing, would Colt take care of all the marks and scratches with some prep work, or is that something I would have to do before shipping it to them?

Bryan
PS I offered him $300 and he jumped on it. Maybe I shoulda started a little lower, huh?:(

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would buy it and refinish it with the original blue finish and get some nice wood grips for it. You can send it to Colt but Bill Adair does good work on Colts also.
Do you have personal experience with this gunsmith's refinishing abilities? I took a look at his website and am impressed with the emphasis he puts on "prep work" before the bluing. That's exactly the attitude I'm looking for in a gunsmith.:D

Bryan

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Found some other points I'd like to ask about this gun. Below are pics of two things that I found. One is that the safety slot that is cut into the slide does not look right to me. It appears someone has cut more metal away, unless the thumb safety is too small for the notch?:hrm: Secondly, the slide stop notch in the slide also appears to have cut deeper and further back than the original cut. Can anyone advise on this matter?

Thanks,
Bryan

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
An ambi safety identical to that is also available in the current Brownell's catalog; it's made by Muschke or some such. Not a great piece, but I decided to use one on a project cuz I have a particular left-handed friend who I knew would flip out over a non-extended ambi safety.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I went thru with the purchase. I am a proud owner of a Colt 1911... my first Colt 1911. :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Bryan

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Give us some pics as you go along, it looks like a great deal. Even just with a refinishing, I'll bet it's a great shooter.:)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts