1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a blue 9mm Colt Combat Commander on Saturday and shot it for the first time today. All in all, I'm very pleased. Accuracy seemed quite good, though it seemed to be shooting a little high. I used Winchester White Box 115's, Winchester Winclean 115's, Federal American Eagle 115's, and some Speer (Lawman?) 115's, and my hand loaded 147 grain West Coast RN over 4.8 grains AA#5, 0.376" x 1.130".

A couple of things showed up that need to be addressed. I had about 2 failures to extract per magazine. Is a new extractor called for? If so, can I read Kunhausen, or some other reference, buy a blue extractor, and get it in successfully myself? Do I need to do anything with respect to the firing pin stop?

Also, the 147 grain load was seen to be keyholing at 50 feet (it shoots fine out of my Government model). Someone suggested that a 1970's Colt commander barrel might have a rifling twist that would be unsuitable for a 147 grain bullet. Any thoughts on this? Is it too early to tell?

Many thanks,

· Registered
241 Posts
Your extractor does not need to be replaced just tuned properly; a needle file and Kunhausen Vol 1 will do the trick. The rifling is the same in the Govt and commander barrel, I would check your crimp. If you over crimp the plated bullets just the slightest amount they seem to key hole, especially out of a shorter barrel. I had this problem with a Sig P245 and Rainers 230 plated bullets, they were key holing and shooting all over the place, but in my P220 they were tack drivers, I backed off the taper crimp die about 1/16th of a turn and all was well with both guns. The crimp left just a slight impression in the bullet and that all it took for it to be a bad load.

· Registered
220 Posts
Shooting

Hey 2cats,
Have you found a venue where you now reside?
Dennis:scratch:

· Registered
442 Posts
FTE's

2cats- when I got my .45 Colt Cmdr. I had similar (but worse) extraction problems. I replaced the Colt extractor with a Wilson (only needed to be bent a little before insertion) which has made the extraction perfect since then. Good luck with a fine pistol! :)

· Premium Member
3,144 Posts
Read Kuhnhausen and you may be able to re-hab your extractor. As to the firing pin stop, it should fit the extractor's rear groove tightly enough to prevent the extractor from 'clocking' or rotating in its tube.

· Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I started reading Kuhnhausen and just glazed over. I like the idea of throwing a new extractor in it and having my problems go away. I read it again and it's starting to make sense. I've got needle files. Maybe I'll fool with it. The extractor doesn't clock at all; it does have a little bit of fore and aft play, though. Is that significant? Do you take off the slide and see how the extractor holds a round against the breech face?

There's supposed to be an excellent affiliate club in Greenville, about 45 minutes away. I feel a craving to come out of retirement; this gun has got me excited. There are zero clubs with indoor facilities here, though, so practice is a little problematic. The sign painter would would love this gun - well, it's a lot like his .45 Commander.

Alternatively, this gun is destined for the gunsmith. He needs to evaluate it to see if it's worth working on, and he could fix the extraction and throw on an ambi safety and send it back. Or, he could just keep it and start on it. We'll have to discuss.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.