1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just Curious. I clean mine the second I get back from shooting, as I do all my firearms. Am I to fanatical?

------------------
"There could be no honor in sure success, But much might be wrested from a sure defeat." - T.E. Lawrence (1888-1935)

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
No, I do this too. Unless I'm going to shoot every day for a few days. Then I just clen the barrel and make sure it isn't dry anywhere or overly dirty. If a rifle, the bore must be cleaned every outing or even more often.

·
Registered
293 Posts
i will almost always clean mine the same day i shoot. at the very least i will field strip it and clean it, (sometimes i have to put it on and go to work), then i will detail strip the slide when i get a chance.

i'm one of these nuts that like cleaning my pistols if i'm not rushed.

if i haven't shot it, it good wipe down about once a week. with the oklahoma humidity, and wearing my duty colt almost all day, it needs cleaned quite often.

russel the cop

------------------
CHANCE FAVORS THE PREPARED MIND....

·
Registered
389 Posts
I always clean same day as shooting. Good activity to do while you're still in a "shooting mood." Also a way to keep an eye out for anything that might have "changed" during your latest trip to the range.

------------------
"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that that is where he is."
-- James Thurber

·
Registered
166 Posts
I clean mine after every range session and on the second day I do another run on the barrell. I relube my carry pistol every week. The barrell as well gets inspected and if necessary, cleaned every week. This is because clothing lint tends to acummulate inside it near the crown area.

------------------
Protect LIFE...you only have ONE.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
I clean my carry gun immediately, rifle while I'm at the range and barrel is still warm but all other pistols, within a couple of days. Sometime, I won't clean em until after 3 or 4 range sessions.

Say it's Monday, I know I'm going back to the range on Wednesday and only put 500 rounds through it on Monday, there's no point in cleaning until after Wednesday.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
From long habit, I clean my guns when I return from the range, unless something fairly important intervenes. It isn't so much that I always thought that immediate cleaning is necessary (although it doesn't hurt). It's that I'm the sort of person who has to do it now or risk forgetting about it for a while ... and I always thought forgetting was a risk I didn't want to take.

Incidentally, I don't think of cleaning my guns as a chore. I enjoy it. I suppose that's because it has always been closely associated with hunting and shooting.

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
731 Posts
Well, I shoot on Thursday nights until about 9pm. After shooting, a group of us go to dinner until 11:30-ish. I get up at 5:30am, so I usually run a Bore Snake through my gun when I get home and leave the cleaning until Friday afternoon or the weekend.

Billy Ray

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
If it gets shot it gets cleaned, preferably as soon as I get home. For those guns that haven't been shot in awhile I like to clean them at least every 6 months (although usually not as thoroughly). It's amazing how much dust can collect in the bore of a "closet protector."

Mac

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I clean the gun as soon as I get home. It doesn't matter whether I've just fired 1 or 100 rounds. When I need the gun in an urgent situation, I want it to do at its top performance, i.e. a clean gun.

·
Registered
27,705 Posts
I relube and wipe off after every trip to the range. I field strip and clean every 1000-1500 rounds.

------------------
"What most of these people need is a good slap upside the head. What I don't need is any more lawsuits." John "The Tooz" Matusak

·
Registered
696 Posts
Originally posted by lonepiper:
Just Curious. I clean mine the second I get back from shooting, as I do all my firearms. Am I to fanatical?

I clean my firearms as soon as I get home too.Not fanatical,just smart.By Your user name,do You Play the pipes too,or just like to hear them?tom.

------------------
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER

·
Registered
181 Posts
I clean after every shoot, unless I know I will be shooting the next day. If I let it go it just keeps bothering me till it's done (like my wife). Son, just starting to get into your range of shooting per session, and it seems that after about 200 rounds, the pistol is about just as dirty as after 500 rounds. And just to brag, my 10 yr old son shooting a .22 ruger kicks the sh*t out of most of us guys shooting .45S.
Jack

·
Registered
98 Posts
Almost always when I get home from the range, but sometimes not untill the next day, but ALWAYS by the next day. I have problems sleeeping at night knowing I have a dirty gun in the house.

------------------
Guaranteed delivery in 30 minutes or less or your next on is free!

Minuteman III LGM30G

·
In Memoriam
683 Posts
I field strip, clean, and relube every time it's fired, and detail strip and clean no less than once every six months, more if the gun doesn't feel right. With my current service pistol, I wipe it off with an oily rag on a daily basis, as I tend to sweat heavily, it accompanies to the shower, and when I'm caught out in the rain, so is it. Having carried stainless, satin nickle and hard chromed guns for so long, I haven't learned to trust Parkerizing yet, so I've reverted back to my Marine Corps paranoia about keeping my weapon cleaned, oiled, and rust-free.

------------------
Roger Shambaugh
Ottawa, Kansas

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
How much do you rely on your gun to function flawlessly if you need it? How much personal pride do you have in your gun? Take very good care of your pistol and it won't let you down. You will feel good about it too.

·
Administrator
72,095 Posts
Years ago I cleaned my Series 80 Colt really well, then went to a training class where I expnded 500 rounds. Two months later I took the same gun (uncleaned) to another class and fired 1,000 rounds. Then months later I took it to the range and let a few more off, still with the gun uncleaned. In all that time I fired close to 2,000 rounds w/o cleaning, and the gun never jammed once!

Sort of scoffs the claims by 1911 detractors that a 1911 is dirt-sensitive. Then again, this gun has a loose slide/frame fit. Probably even looser now.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Like most of you, I clean when I get home. I also consider it a pleasure, not a chore. In fact my kids are pretty used to the smell of Hoppes while Dad watches a John Wayne flick.
Hey Lonepiper Like Deputy Tom asked, Are you a piper??? I've played for about 10 Years both with a small pipe band and in single Piobaireachd competition. Also I'm a Deputy and my name is Tom....Wierd, Huh!!!
Montana

1 - 20 of 26 Posts