1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did a search on this and couldn't find any answers, which kind of surprised me. Maybe I missed something, but how often do you clean your handguns. I clean mine every time I shoot them. Although I've read that's not necessary. What are your thoughts on this?

·
Registered
970 Posts
Traditionally I have always tried to clean after each use, but after hearing from a lot of people who are believers in not doing that, I got a bit lazy lately.

·
Registered
548 Posts
After each use, one shot or 1000.

I've essayed the odd shot at a critter or varmint and will still clean the gun, be it handgun or long arm, rim fire or center fire. It's OCD is what it is.

If guns are taken out of the safe and examined or shown to someone then they are wiped and RIG is reapplied. That is unless I only handle the stocks of the guns.

Too many roost in the safe. If I don't tend to cleaning and lubrication then I will lose track, get forgetful, get behind, finding dirty guns lurking in the recesses of the safe.

Guns that aren't neglected are dependable, inexpensive to operate because they require less gunsmithing adjustments in order to remain reliable, and they don't suffer any ravages of surface finish degradation.

I don't chose to rely on stainless steel, plastic, or high-tech coatings or finishes to stand in for maintenance procrastination. Deferred maintenance is frequently more costly to the homeowner. Guns, any of 'em don't thrive on procrastination or neglect either no matter what sort of YouTube Glock abuse tests may be trotted out as examples.

·
Registered
12,867 Posts
I wet them down, inside & out, with WD40 after shooting. It makes them easier to clean after getting home.

Then I clean them around 80% or so. lube, & put away. I'll only do a full strip after several range trips & many, many rounds.

None of my guns, mostly beautiful vintage pieces, have not suffered from this.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I clean them when I get back from the range.
The longer you wait, the bigger the job it becomes.
It should only take 20 or 30 minutes.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Every range session ... if I don’t take a specific gun out for more than 2 or 3 months I’ll wipe those down with a grease rag.

·
Registered
591 Posts
every time they’re shot, usually same or next day. i like the whole process and take my time. i may be addicted to Hoppe’s no 9, not sure.

·
Registered
6,309 Posts
Full disclosure....this is an area where I'm not OCD!

At any given time I'll have 3-5 handguns at between 1-500 rounds waiting to be cleaned.

There are also 2-3 long guns at between 1-300 rounds waiting to be cleaned.

After any range trip means a quick wipe down with a lightly oiled cloth. After around 300 rounds pistols get field strip. 500-1000 get a more thorough cleaning.

Rifles get a wipe down after every range trip, 100-300 rounds get a more thorough cleaning.

Carry guns get thorough cleaning after any range trip.

I've retired from competition so I'm only shooting about 5,000 rounds a year now as opposed to 20,000 a few years ago!

Shoot more, clean less and in between reload on one of 5 Dillons!

Smiles,

·
Registered
381 Posts
It may not be necessary, but I clean my guns after each range session - either the same day or the next day at the latest.

I may be weird, but I actually enjoy cleaning my guns.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
A gun gets touched... It gets wiped down.
A gun gets shot... It gets cleaned.

I've heard the argument about doing more harm by over cleaning, but in all my years of shooting. I have never worn a gun or a barrel out by cleaning it. I've invested time and money into my guns, and I'll be damned if I leave them crapped up after a shooing session.

No crud = no corrosion forming under said crud.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Not more than two minutes ago I was talking with my attorney and he was asking all sorts of questions about cleaning guns.

I advised it should be done after every trip to the range.

(He didn't say so, but I suspect he's either purchased or about to purchase a handgun.)

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have tried and tried to convince myself that it isn't really necessary to clean my guns everytime that I shoot them, especially my rimfire guns, but I just can't do it. I clean mine every single time that I shoot them. One hundred rounds, or just once. Obviously it takes less time if I only shoot once, but I still do it. Just makes me feel better.:)

·
Registered
225 Posts
They get cleaned every time they are used. I've also heard it's not necessary I''ve also heard changing the oil in your vehicle every 3500 miles is not necessary, oil is cheaper than bearings so it gets done every 3500. The guns get cleaned every time they go out . Regardless how many rounds go through it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
For me...if they get shot and they are going to be shot again in a week or so I just do a wipe down, bore snake a couple times, clean the chamber and feed ramp and lube. After they are done with the second or third round of shooting in a week or two...they Get cleaned and lubed Properly.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Every time I shoot them. At bare-ass minimum they get a bore cleaning and a wipe-down of everything else.

If 1911 it gets a field strip.

If M1 Rifle it gets a bore cleaning and a quick scrub of the face of the bolt, plus touch up the grease on the op-rod and bolt.

If Chiappa M1-22, pretty much same.

Everything I have gets taken down to pins and springs once a year, or every 1000 rounds.

Bottom line is, bare-ass minimum, the bore gets the brush and the patch.

·
Registered
15,474 Posts
Because I was brainwashed by the military my gun(s) get torn down and cleaned every time they get dirty - no excuses. That might be from firing or just crawling around in the real world (it's a dirty gritty world out there). The advantage of this is that you get to check for wear and tear and fix problems before they get bad enough to cause a stoppage and you KNOW your gun has lube where it needs it. ;)

·
Registered
22,877 Posts
I clean my guns when I feel like it.

Which is generally not too often. Even then it is usually pretty cursory. Hose them down with Kroil and then blow them out with compressed air. Never had an issue

·
Registered
190 Posts
Which is generally not too often. Even then it is usually pretty cursory. Hose them down with Kroil and then blow them out with compressed air. Never had an issue
Yep, good to go.
I generally use a variation of your theme.
Blast them out with a pressurized cleaner, apply copious amounts of Mobil 1 everywhere, wipe off what drips out or runs off.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts