1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering since i have never done it and I cant figure out why I would need to unless all the internals need to be cleaned/lubed, if thats the case, how often does that need to be done?

I cant do it any time soon since I dont have a .125" brass punch ( I have a steel one but I dont want to marr anything ). I kind of just want to give it a try but OTOH im afraid I'm going to eff up my pistol.

thanks for enduring my perpetual noobness.

·
Premium Member
7,725 Posts
I usually do a Detailed field strip, after around 1500 rds down range, because it only takes a little bit of dirt or burnt gun powder, or gunk to make parts of the 1911 sticky, and slower to function.

Clyde

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,325 Posts
I take mine down approximately twice per year. If I'm travelling to a big match, I'll do it before I go, and if I have to replace an internal part, I'll clean it at that time, too. The round count at time of cleaning would typically be more than 1000, but probably not more than 2000.

·
Registered
879 Posts
So far I have detail stripped every time I've shot it. I don't have any punches, I knock the MSH pin thru with the allen head driver I use to remove my grips. I will resort to detail cleaning only every 500 rds or so (maybe more, want to see what it looks like after 500. I use some cheap ammo sometimes and it makes the gun dirtier faster). I had been anal about cleaning it, but now that I see that it's not getting very dirty down in the frame other than the loading ramp area.

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
At least twice anually, more if it's a CCW gun.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I detail strip almost every customer firearm regardless of what I'm repairing or refining...

As far as my personal weapons, I detail strip after they've been worked hard, regardless of time and rounds fired. The weather plays a major part as well -- caught in the rain, she gets stripped down to the bare essentials....good luck

·
Premium Member
3,668 Posts
For me, detail stripping is a matter of preference and necessity. I detail strip each of my 1911's about every 1000 rounds, or if I have extra time on my hands, sooner.

I agree with NAMVET72 about the possibility of burnt powder, dirt or other gunk messing up function.

Each of my 1911's get carried, some more than others, so I can't afford any malfunction problems just because they're dirty.

After every range trip, I field strip. I clean out the extractor and firing pin tunnels then and am always amazed at how much gunk gets caked up in the extractor tunnel after just one range trip. The Q-Tips soaked with CLP get quite a work out.

That's enough motivation for me not to delay detail stripping and taking care of the other innards.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Every 2000 rounds. Sometime more if I am bored out of my mind and need something constructive to do :)

·
Registered
3,909 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,907 Posts
-Every 5k rounds.

-I change my recoil/FP spring at the same time.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Rain is nature's way of telling you it is time to detail strip. Last time went almost 5K. Was pretty dirty but functioning ok. I usually shoot a couple of hundred rounds at a time then field strip and clean the barrel. Shooting lead. Will clean the firing pin and extractor channel about every 1 or 1.5K.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Field strip/clean after every shooting session. Detail strip will vary for most because if I carry a particular gun in the sweaty summer months or live in a humid/salty area internal rust can be a problem. If you shoot alot and lube it silly then accumilating debris/build up can have an effect on performance.

I think (again opinion because situations vary) a detail strip should be done at least once a year to address any problems. My carry get's it twice a year, really isn't hard to do if you pay attention.

Quick story: Traded a guy my Kimber Pro Carry II for his Kimber Heritage 5" (even swap), when I got home I detail stripped it. The leaf spring (carbon steel) was corroded with rust that just started to rust the frame. Swapped the leaf spring and brass brushed the minor rust off the frame, problem solved. Obviously the guy never detail stripped this firearm and had he not swapped with me this gun could've just been a pretty hammer at the worst time (with a broken leaf spring). I learned that when buying a used 1911 she may look pretty outside but the inside might be a mess. Do the strip "before" a trade or purchase also (if possible).

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Every 1K-1.5K rounds or yearly--- or if rain/sand necessitate earlier.
I do put some oil on the hammer hooks every 700 rounds or so.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Every 5k or so.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts