1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Elmer,

I've only owned a 1911 for a short time, and it's now at the 850 round mark. Based on my cleaning experiences so far, and the fact that it seems everything can generally be easily cleaned via field stipping, I plan on a detail strip around the 1000 round mark to lube the internals. Specifically I plan to use Moly Slide on the hammer and sear engagement surfaces, unless someone here stops me.

I trust I won't find any surprises lurking in the internals of my Springfield that will make me wish I'd detail stripped it sooner.

Mark

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Hi, sorry for being naive!
Does detail stripping mean taking gun apart to the last pin on the frame?

If so, I've never done that. I've done only the slide stripping (in most of the cleaning routine), and won't plan on the frame stripping unless something breaks. However, I do soak the gun in kerosene and use kid's tooth brush to clean it. Thks.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
If Colt had wanted you to detail strip their guns they would have included instructions with them. Now, with that said, I detail strip mine way more than they need. Why? Because I enjoy it, and I enjoy cleaning them. It's an excellent way to learn how the 1911 operates also. If your not really "into" guns, then there's no reason for you to detail strip it. Another pitfall is, if you carry it for self defense, and reassemble it wrong, it might not fire at all. If you don't get the lever right when intalling the firing pin safety system, it can actually leave the firing pin locked in the slide. Talk to 1911 guys, read books, read this forum, and then dive in.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
I agree with the Colonel above. If you are not comfortable taking your pistol completely apart, DON'T! I am familiar, and I do a complete strip and clean (the gun, not me
) every second month. I feel more confident that I will see a potential problem developing, before it becomes a reliability issue. Plus, it's somehow re-assuring to know that I can fix (or at least replace) anything that goes wrong on my favourite gun.

[This message has been edited by shane45-1911 (edited 03-04-2001).]

·
Registered
26 Posts
Depends on how much time I've got when cleaning my guns. Usually I only do it when I want to tinker with something.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I completely strip my pistol after every use and apply a thin coat of Break Free CLP prior to reassembly. Some people say it's silly to do this but I can't stand to put a dirty gun in my safe and any job worth doing is worth doing right, after you completely take it apart a few times it only takes a few minutes more.

------------------
Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Marksmanship.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Just a guess but I'd say about every 1000 rounds for the top half and every 2000 for the bottom. I shoot some pretty filthy lead bullets though, you might not to clean as often if you shoot factory stuff.

The top is a piece of cake to take apart, just be sure to get the firing pin spring on the firing pin with the tight end down. The bottom half is a little trickier but not too bad after you've done it a time or two, just don't launch your safety plunger accross the living room when you pull your safety out,all pins go out right to left. It may be best to read a detailed description before stripping the bottom. Best of luck.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Field stripping is the basic cleaning and detail stripping is the complete disassembly of the pistol (to the last pin etc)

In the Marines I detail stripped 1911A1's that wasn't detail strip in 30+ years. When I competed in pistol shooting we did it once at the start of the season.

On the Series 80 to check the firing pin safety after reassembly. Put a pencil down the barrel with the eraser end against the firing pin hole. Squeeze the trigger and the firing pin will pop the pencil out of the barrel. If the pencil doesn't move you put the firing pin safety device in wrong.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I'm a newbie here, and just purchased my first 1911 in 12 years. I've only field stripped it so far, with that said, I have no idea how to go further then that on a 1911, but I would like to learn, I am mechanical minded so it doesn't "scare" me or really intimidate me, I just want to do it "safely" and "knowledgeably" where do I start? Can anyone recommend some good books to buy, I'm not really into becomming a "gun smith" but I would like the confidence of Stripping my 1911 down at least to thoroughly clean it. Thanks in advance
Regards, SonnyD

Originally posted by col132:
If Colt had wanted you to detail strip their guns they would have included instructions with them. Now, with that said, I detail strip mine way more than they need. Why? Because I enjoy it, and I enjoy cleaning them. It's an excellent way to learn how the 1911 operates also. If your not really "into" guns, then there's no reason for you to detail strip it. Another pitfall is, if you carry it for self defense, and reassemble it wrong, it might not fire at all. If you don't get the lever right when intalling the firing pin safety system, it can actually leave the firing pin locked in the slide. Talk to 1911 guys, read books, read this forum, and then dive in.

------------------
Sonny Dryer

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Originally posted by SonnyD:
where do I start? Can anyone recommend some good books to buy, I'm not really into becomming a "gun smith" but I would like the confidence of Stripping my 1911 down at least to thoroughly clean it. Thanks in advance
Regards, SonnyD
Sonny, try http://www.m1911.org/

·
Registered
560 Posts
Sonny I got plenty of books on the 1911 and just got the " wilson combat 1911 maintenance manual" , It is a great little book with color pictures, It has cleaning,
detail stripping,lubrication points and a lot of info.
I highly recomended it for beginers as it has a wealth of info on care of the 1911.
For $10.50 it is a great deal.
http://www.scattergun.com/books_2000.htm

Elmer ,Wilson reccomends that you detail strip it every 5000 rounds and/or 3 months.

[This message has been edited by CMC (edited 03-17-2001).]

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Thanks, I just went to the site and odered it. I sure appreciate everyones help here, what a great bunch of guys!!, Thanks
Sonny

Originally posted by CMC:
Sonny I got plenty of books on the 1911 and just got the " wilson combat 1911 maintenance manual" , It is a great little book with color pictures, It has cleaning,
detail stripping,lubrication points and a lot of info.
I highly recomended it for beginers as it has a wealth of info on care of the 1911.
For $10.50 it is a great deal.
http://www.scattergun.com/books_2000.htm

Elmer ,Wilson reccomends that you detail strip it every 5000 rounds and/or 3 months.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Not being mechanically inclined in the least, I usually drop mine off at my favorite gun shop and have a friend there do it, probably every 2-3K rounds.

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
About the time table that Son uses. If it is a new pistol, I'll detail strip it when I get it home just to check out the parts and springs.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
Molon Labe

1 - 20 of 26 Posts