1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading a 1911 manual and it recommends detail striping. Just curious how often if ever you's go beyond the basic bushing, slide stop, barrel out, recoil spring off field strip? Also would like to know if it is possible to push firing pin in to far or damage it by removal?

If I keep my gun loaded cocked and locked all the time or unloaded but cocked and locked will it cause any abnormal wear and if so what should I keep an eye on for parts wear?

·
Registered
203 Posts
About every 500 or so rounds I at least detail the slide to clean up the extractor. Not necessay that often, I just do it cause it only takes a couple more minutes, and detailing the frame is quick and easy too. If you disassemble correctly, you won't damage any parts by disassemling more frequently. If you store cocked and locked, the main thing(no pun intened) is the Main Spring will wear out prematurely, since it's compressed when the hammer's cocked. If I were to store my 1911's cocked and locked, I'd replace the mainspring about every 6 months or so.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I always take the slide completely down for cleaning, every time I shoot. It's so easy, and the extractor channel gets pretty gunked up after only 50 rounds.

I only disassemble the frame completely when the trigger (1911) starts to stick in its track, evidenced by sluggishness in trigger return. Numbers of rounds through the gun matter less; I've gone several thousand rounds without the trigger getting sluggish on return.
When completely disassembling the frame, there's little reason to disassemble the MSH unless you want to.
Best.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Detail strip/clean the slide approximately every 500 rounds.

Detail strip/clean the frame approximately every 2,500 rounds, or when I'm bored.

·
Premium Member
5,968 Posts
Yep.

AKinMT said:
About every 500 or so rounds I at least detail the slide to clean up the extractor.
+1
(I don't whole gun detail as often as Doc. Prob'ly less than most folks.
I have about 15K on the BPT and it hasn't been detailed yet!) :dope:

·
Banned
51 Posts
cleaning

I detail strip after every shooting session,doesnt matter if i shoot 1 bullet or 500. I love cleaning my gun so its fun to me.

·
Registered
949 Posts
hammer45 said:
I was reading a 1911 manual and it recommends detail striping. Just curious how often if ever you's go beyond the basic bushing, slide stop, barrel out, recoil spring off field strip? Also would like to know if it is possible to push firing pin in to far or damage it by removal?

If I keep my gun loaded cocked and locked all the time or unloaded but cocked and locked will it cause any abnormal wear and if so what should I keep an eye on for parts wear?
Detailed I assume means total disassemble, clean, and lube. I can feel it in the trigger when this is required: on average about 7500 rounds or so. I’ll semi-field strip (remove the slide from the frame) and clean it and re-lube about once a week (400-1000 rounds). I’ll use a pull through on the barrel as well. I don’t like to remove the bushing more than absolutely necessary as it is key to the accuracy of the pistol. I’m more concerned about cleaning the chamber as the barrel doesn’t need cleaning even though I shoot only lead. I’ll do a full field strip about once a month. I add a few drops of oil in the appropriate places every 50 rounds or so as well as wipe off the breach face. Just my penny and a half….

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,219 Posts
BattlePack said:
Detail strip/clean the slide approximately every 500 rounds.

Detail strip/clean the frame approximately every 2,500 rounds, or when I'm bored.
Pretty-much the same for me. I'll usually detail strip at least once a year, regardless of round count.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
From time to time depending on the amount of use.

Like Sawbones I always strip the slide all the way down, in part because I get really edgy if I don't clean the extractor and firing pin channels.

Where the receiver is concerned, at least once or twice a year. I'll do it more often if I see that it's becoming filthy or when I'm using the pistol in unfavorable conditions: sand, mud, or rain.

I'm also interested in checking closely for parts that have broken or are about to break. I caught a broken mainspring housing retaining pin that way. It was in two pieces probably held in place by pressure. Also caught a broken plunger spring (figure that one out).

·
Registered
147 Posts
Depends wether I'm feeling anal or not :hrm:

Luckily I have access to an ultrasonic cleaner at work, so sometimes I'll sneak a pistol or revolver in. Just a basic breakdown, and throw the parts into the tank. You'd be amazed what garbage comes off a supposedly all ready clean gun. After it's clean, just blast with air, oil, and it's good-to-go :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
detail strip

When I first bought my series 80. I detail stripped it every time i went to the range (aprox 500 rounds) for about three months, just to get familiar with the firing pin block. Now the frame gets stripped every six months, slide every other trip to the range

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
If you push the firing pin with a punch and a hammer, you'll probably damage something. Otherwise, detail stripping the slide is a good practice to follow. The frame won't need a detail strip nearly as often. It's up to you. The springs won't be damaged by being under tension, that's a myth. It's cycling that weakens spings, any springs.

·
Registered
278 Posts
AKinMT said:
If you store cocked and locked, the main thing(no pun intened) is the Main Spring will wear out prematurely, since it's compressed when the hammer's cocked. If I were to store my 1911's cocked and locked, I'd replace the mainspring about every 6 months or so.
I carry cocked and locked 24/7 and don't have to change the mainspring. Never had a problem with it although I do change springs about every year-but they never really need it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
hammer45 said:

Cleanliness is next to godliness and ensures reliability. For me the basic cleaning has always been complete dismantlement and thorough cleaning of every part after every trip to the range unless I shoot the same gun on both Saturday and Sunday, then in between I only field strip, clean the beech face and ramp, and re-oil. You should not damage anything through detail dismantlement as long as you use the proper size punch to depress the firing pin to remove the firing pin retaining plate and the mainspring housing pin. On reassembly use an acrylic mallet to drive the mainspring housing pin and use something other than metal to depress the thumb safety pin.

Steve

1 - 16 of 16 Posts