1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often do you folks lube your 1911 pistol if it hasn't been fired? Does it hurt the pistol to repeatedly field strip it, if it doesn't need to be cleaned?

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,447 Posts
I do annual, field-strip cleanings of guns that haven't been fired. I've been told, "You don't wear-out your gun shooting it, you wear it out cleaning it", but suspect that refers specifically to scrubbing the bore.

Reactions: Levian

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
If you’re in a high humidity area and seaside, I’d field strip it at least 3x yearly if it isn’t used. In a non-humid environment - properly stored - just yearly.
I lube after cleaning after each use - which for me is weekly.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Too often and too much. If it's been sitting for a month or two and I don't see oil bead up somewhere near the rails, I oil it more. Always been told to run it wet and it's worked so far. Gets dirty faster but I never put 1500 rounds or more through in one range trip so it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I oil mine after every shooting and/or every field-stripping/cleaning. These two SHOULD mean the same thing, but I HAVE shot my 1911(s) and not immediately cleaned them thereafter, usually as a demand of circumstances.
I have no good way to prove this, but I'M of the opinion that excessive cleaning of a firearm can create wear on it, just as much as not cleaning it often enough. I tend to err on the side of "too often" than "not often enough" for cleaning, but I also try to be as gentle as possible. After field stripping, I usually let mine set for 2 or more hours in a baking pan filled with enough 1:1 ATF and Kerosene to cover it. This tends to make ridding the barrel of lead somewhat easier, and loosens other deposits that might build up over time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm afraid I don't see the logic in this premise that cleaning them too often wears them out. I clean my pistols after every shooting session. I think the harshest thing I do is to wet the bore with Hoppes 9, then run a brass brush down the bore a few times, then wipe clean. Everything else gets cleaned with a Qtips soaked in Hoppes 9. I truly doubt my cleaning is producing more wear than the parts rapidly rubbing against each other during firing.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I field strip and clean and lube after I shoot. . If pistol is clean but I haven’t carried that particular pistol for a while I put some oil on the frame rails and the barrel . I like to run 1911s wet . Firm believer in that !

Reactions: Scooter 45acp

·
Registered
67 Posts
I clean according to use and how I feel at the moment,... usually about every 50 to 75 rounds, but, I rarely shoot more than two mags at a session. I made up a gallon of Ed's Red oiler/cleaner about 6 or 7 years ago, got a pint and a half still on the shelf. Three passes of a bore snake soaked in it through the barrel, and it is done. A light Q-tip swipe of moly paste on the rails and other shiny parts, Ed's Red as a wipe down on the barrel and every where else,... I'm done until the next 50 to 75 rounds.

IMO, maintaining a 1911,... easy-peasy!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Just in case the next questions may related to what to lube it with, this is for your gents who live seaside, and need to lube your firshing reels, too. Use ReelX, same company that makes CorrosionX. Has an extra additive that CorrosionX doesn't have. It's top notch lube and rust protectant. I love this stuff.

·
Registered
586 Posts
How often do you folks lube your 1911 pistol if it hasn't been fired? Does it hurt the pistol to repeatedly field strip it, if it doesn't need to be cleaned?
Handguns I lube once after shooting, put them back in their boxes or cases and fuhgetaboutit. My long guns need more care because most contact the fabric in the safes. Those I'll go over once a year(ish).

·
Registered
853 Posts
I have been using CLP on all my guns for years. When the gun is taken apart I lube rails and barrel and all other internal parts with TW25B. The lube is not cheap. I just received
a 4oz. plastic tube from amazon which had the lowest price of $36.00. The CLP I spray on a rag and wipe down the outside of the guns that are in use or handled.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I live in Houston which is pretty humid year round and about a thirty minute drive from Galveston. I keep an oil impregnated rag in my gun kit to wipe down my carry piece once every month or two. I do not clean the pistol unless it’s actually dirty. A dry microfiber cloth first then a oily rag to relube the outside and a drop on each rails

·
Registered
24,913 Posts
Lube it when it needs it. The gun does not need to be torn down to lube. frogfurr said it well - a few drops from a needle oiler is all most guns need. After field stripping to clean lube the bushing and barrel lugs and slide rails. A little oil goes a long way.
This is what I do. Never had an issue.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
If you’re in a high humidity area and seaside, I’d field strip it at least 3x yearly if it isn’t used.
Having lived two blocks off the beach in Galveston in the late '90's, I'll second this. 'Bout freaked out when I say the bores of my rifles - safely in cases under the bed - after living there for 6mos.! 😲

Annually for those not fired away from the beach. Carry pieces - even if they AREN'T fired - should be checked monthly. I'm a big guy who runs hot - I'm saltier than the Gulf coast EVER was! 😳

·
Registered
17 Posts
I use to have a blue Colt in a high humidity area, and I had to lube it weekly to prevent rust, after awhile I hard chrome it, and I lubed it every time I shoot it (once a month). Now I have a SS Colt and I lube it also once a month after shooting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
74,730 Posts
I keep my collectible firearms well-coated in oil and check on them every few months. The regular shooters are cleaned/lubed as needed. Everything else in the middle is usually left alone aside from checking on them occasionally. But if they're not being fired I see no reason to keep them oiled up.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts