1911Forum banner
21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
I keep cans of Rem oil and Ballistol sitting around at many locations including by my safe, in my sun room, shop, and even one in the bathroom. If I am carrying the gun in rain or humid weather, I dump the ammo and spray the entire gun usually with Ballistol. I clean them after every range session.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Moisture is metal’s enemy. Salt and acids from your sweat are even worse. Any metal objects- guns, tools, heck even bridges and other structures. I’ve seen a lot of guys just put their gun away in a box or even worse the clam shell box with the foam. Those things hold moisture in and hold the moisture right next to the metal. It’s not so much that you need to take your gun out and clean it from time to time; you need to refresh the oils that you have on the metal so that they keep doing the job of retarding corrosion. So yeah, check them from time to time. take the grips off, oil underneath the grips, inside the plunger tube, inside the channel where the trigger bow rides, inside the channel where the sear spring is and where the disconnector is. These are all areas that people don’t think about but rust is going to collect inside these little nooks and crannies. Anybody can wipe off the big flat outside portions and think that they’re doing a great job

·
Registered
73 Posts
Clean and lube after every time I fire. Grease it if it slides, oil (CLP) it if it turns. Anyone who doesn't clean their firearms regularly to at least a "functional" standard gets no sympathy from me when they experience any sort of malfunction / FTF.

Slightly wet patch (CLP) through the bore for storage or EDC. Sometimes run a dry patch through the bore before firing again, but that's mostly with long guns where I'm concerned about first round, cold barrel accuracy. Rarely do this with pistols or long guns if just plinking.

I'm not above hosing out the receiver or other hard to get to assemblies with carb cleaner followed (after drying) by WD-40. Rarely do this with long guns on wood stocks (unless the action and barrel have been removed from the stock), but my AR receivers will get washed out regularly, same with some other modern pistoles that are nearly impossible to detail disassemble (i.e. all of my Berettas). I try to hold the receiver / action so that the carb cleaner washes stuff out rather than into even more inaccessible areas. Once the WD-40 has also air dried, I'll lube the moving parts with CLP or grease (as appropriate).

1911's, fortunately, were designed with detailed disassembly by the operator in mind, so I don't do this too often with them (unless I first remove the grips).

I do take care with cleaning rods and use a muzzle crown guide (even with pistols). Easy to do and doesn't slow anything down once you get used to using one.

Detailed disassembly for inspection, cleaning and lube / preservative depends on the conditions of the last use (even if not fired). Rainy wet hunting trip will get the full Monty, but a sun-shiny day on the range, probably not (unless I drenched the gun with my own sweat, which happens sometimes). EDC after a hot-sweaty day will get more attention than the same gun after a nice, dry day on the range. Sometimes "just-depends" rules.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I lube mine once a month, after fixing bacon for breakfast.

Reactions: pawpawlong

·
Registered
118 Posts
Carry gun as needed everything else checked monthly ,no safe queens here ,use mobile one and w heel baring grease. There cheap do the job and lots of your "gun " products are just repackaged auto products. I will get flamed for that but check it out lots

of old posts here about that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mdslye — I followed the link for the MSDS sheet for Wilson Ultima lube to oil on brownells.com and discovered that it’s just a mixture of Lucas oil products.

·
Registered
15,738 Posts
I keep cans of Rem oil and Ballistol sitting around at many locations including by my safe, in my sun room, shop, and even one in the bathroom. If I am carrying the gun in rain or humid weather, I dump the ammo and spray the entire gun usually with Ballistol. I clean them after every range session.
Ballistol - Numbah one. Rem oil - Numbah ten

·
Registered
67 Posts
I carry my 1911s, and I've found cleaning and lubing once a month works for me. Every couple of weeks I wipe them down with oil. I also clean and lube after every range session. I use Lubriplate oil.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Everyone has their favorite and few would change .After military service where we used anything we could get a hold of 50 years as a truck driver 5 years of that in Alaska engine oil and bearing grease having to deal with temperatures from 70 below to 450 above freezing I think they have a pretty good track record .

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Don't forget to check under the grip panels for corrosion, this applies to stainless steel too.
I forget why but have heard it is best to keep Teflon bearing lube out of the bore.

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
I followed the link for the MSDS sheet for Wilson Ultima lube to oil on brownells.com and discovered that it’s just a mixture of Lucas oil products.
Are you saying on the MSDS sheet Brownell's has for Wilson Ultima Lube II oil it says ...

"...Wilson Combat Ultima Lube II is a mixture of Lucas oil products."

Could you give us that specific link just to make sure we are going to the correct source?

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Peppered, hickory smoked, applewood smoked, cherry smoked, or some other flavor? What's the best bacon lube choice? 😁
Doesn't matter as long as it's unsalted.

·
Premium Member
3,674 Posts
Definitely after every range trip. If I haven't taken a particular gun to the range and it's been sitting for quite a while, I'll lube it when it becomes a part of my EDC rotation.

21 - 40 of 84 Posts