1911Forum banner
41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
After each use the gun is cleaned and lubricated, whether it's a single round fired at a varmint out on our old family place, or a 500 round marathon of plinking fun. Bit OCD that is, but I can't procrastinate on proper maintenance or I'll end up with lots neglected guns in the safe.

I don't keep a regular schedule for lubricating 1911s or any other firearms on hand. The 1911s or revolvers that considered to be the regular "toters" stay in readiness. All others are inspected and tended to on an "as needed" basis. Otherwise all slumber in the safe slathered in RIG.

·
Registered
21 Posts

SECTION 3: COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
3.1. Substance
Not applicable
3.2. Mixture
The specific chemical identity and/or exact percentage of composition have been withheld as a trade secret [29 CFR 1910.1200]. Full text of H-phrases: see section 16
Name
Product Identifier
%
GHS-US classification
Lucas Gun Oil
(CAS No) Proprietary
Not classified
Lucas Assembly Lube
(CAS No) Proprietary
26.433 - 26.6733
Eye Irrit. 2A, H319
Phosphorodithioic acid, O,O-di-C1-14-alkyl esters, zinc salts
(CAS No) 68649-42-3
0.0267 - 0.267
Skin Irrit. 2, H315
Eye Dam. 1, H318 Aquatic Acute 1, H400 Aquatic Chronic 2, H411
11/08/2016 EN (English US) 1/5

·
Premium Member
2,852 Posts
For those few 1911s I own that do not get shot, I look at them once a year or two. Breakfree does not evaporate, so am not concerned.

Reactions: UpperMW

·
Registered
67 Posts
Interesting - I did not know Lubriplate offered an oil.
Yep. Normally they only sell their oil in large containers direct, but I got mine from here: Lubri-Kit.com - Lubricate and protect your guns., in case you're interested. They re-package it into more user friendly sizes. I got the basic kit, which comes with a 4oz bottle of oil and syringes of grease, although when I got mine it came with 3 syringes instead of 2. I did end up getting a needle oil applicator off Amazon, which makes applying the oil much easier.

·
Registered
412 Posts
During Cobid, I cleaned all my guns maybe even twice a week, but seriously on my carry guns I run them wet, check them every two or three weeks or so, depending on the weather, they get a lot of lint since I carry IWB.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
For the record...

Bacon Grease Lube has been a running gag for me for a long time. No I don't really lube my guns with it.

What do I use? Brian Enos Slide Glide Lite in my own builds and medium in the production guns I have,

How often do I lube? Any time one of my guns is fired it gets feild stripped and wiped down with a Rem Oil soaked rag and the rails and barrel bushing get a fresh coat of Slide Glide. Guns I don't fire very often still get fresh oil wipedown and rails lubed every 6-8 weeks.

For those using motor oil, that's fine on the rails but offers little protection against rust like gun oils do. Lube your rails with it but use a gun oil on the surface.

Somewhere in a few of the lube threads which pop up twice a month is my dissertation on gun lube. Search my name and I'm sure you'll find it. I won't inflict it on everyone posting it yet again.

Reactions: Ranger4 and drail

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have a lot of guns, so there's no way I'm going to get them out and lube the quarterly. I'm not going to spend one of my precious Saturdays oiling guns that aren't being used.

Range guns (guns I don't carry): Clean them after a couple of range outings, or, if I'm really bored, clean them after a single range outing. Lube them. Then they may sit in the safe for a week or several years. I won't take them out just to oil them. If it's been along time, I'll lube them before shooting. I've never had any of my guns rust; they are stored in a finished basement in North Georgia. Kind of humid, but not a lot of temp variation in the basement.

Carry guns: SW 637 and Colt Defender:
- Now cleaned and lubed after every range session (used to not do that for the Defender, but it starts to act up after about 200 - 250 rounds, so I need to keep it clean).
- If I haven't shot the gun for about a month, just a quick check and if it looks "dry" I'll add some oil.

Guns are steel and wood or steel and plastic, but man oh man, some people treat them more tenderly than a baby's bottom!

·
Registered
118 Posts
An old sage told me one time probably 60 years ago "dirty guns get you dead" Vietnam and Maty Mattel specials proved it . I have not been able to leave a gun dirty since then .

·
Registered
15,738 Posts
Yup. My Drill Sgt. made damn sure we kept ALL of our gear in top shape ALL THE TIME. That was 50 years ago and I still cannot go to bed with a dirty gun in the shop. I actually tried once just to see. Nope. Had to get up, get dressed and go take care of it. They pound that stuff deep into your brain.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I do my EDC every month.
My range guns about every 6 months or so.
My safe queens, once a year.

Reactions: UpperMW

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
How often do you folks lube your 1911 pistol if it hasn't been fired? Does it hurt the pistol to repeatedly field strip it, if it doesn't need to be cleaned?
I regularly check my carry gun. If I'm not happy with the amount of lube it has, it gets a shot of lube - and so does every other pistol I have. It only takes a second to pull the slide back on a 1911 and hit the rails then let the oil work it's way toward the nose while it's hanging in a holster. Or if I decide I want to get a little deeper in there a minute to field strip the slide off, spray it down, then reassemble. Only having 3 pistols to worry about helps, as it makes the process rather fast.

I use ballistol, which I found kept my rifles more or less rust free in spite of several years of neglect and proved to keep the internals slick without drying up. So I'm probably lubricating them way more than I actually need to, but considering all of my pistols get carried I'd rather have them lubed a bit too often than have them run dry and screw up should I actually need to deploy one. I'd say it's once or twice a month for the pistols, rifles and shotguns get lubed up before and after hunting season.

·
Registered
215 Posts
For the record...

Bacon Grease Lube has been a running gag for me for a long time. No I don't really lube my guns with it.

What do I use? Brian Enos Slide Glide Lite in my own builds and medium in the production guns I have,

How often do I lube? Any time one of my guns is fired it gets feild stripped and wiped down with a Rem Oil soaked rag and the rails and barrel bushing get a fresh coat of Slide Glide. Guns I don't fire very often still get fresh oil wipedown and rails lubed every 6-8 weeks.

For those using motor oil, that's fine on the rails but offers little protection against rust like gun oils do. Lube your rails with it but use a gun oil on the surface.

Somewhere in a few of the lube threads which pop up twice a month is my dissertation on gun lube. Search my name and I'm sure you'll find it. I won't inflict it on everyone posting it yet again.
15 w 40 in summer, 5 W 30 in winter. Castrol, Mystic, Mobil 1, Rotella, or Mrs Wrights Hickory cured, it all works. Many hard men long in the field have gathered a little off the dipstick to ensure proper function. Stay away from peanut oil, it draws bears.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Here's what a couple of gun makers have to say:

Bill Wilson says clean about every 300 to 500 rounds, clean the feed ramp and just inside the bore where the cartridge sits and no reaming the whole thing, plus keeping oiled is much more important than cleaning..

Adam Nilson of Atlas says clean every couple thousand rounds, special attention to feed ramp and just the inside the back of the bore where the cartridge sits, never ream the bore, and keep oiled liberally at all times.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Yup. My Drill Sgt. made damn sure we kept ALL of our gear in top shape ALL THE TIME. That was 50 years ago and I still cannot go to bed with a dirty gun in the shop. I actually tried once just to see. Nope. Had to get up, get dressed and go take care of it. They pound that stuff deep into your brain.
At the monthly defensive pistol match, I smile every time someone's pistols stops running, and they turn and say, "I don't know when the last time was I cleaned this thing."

My goal is to win every match. Each night before a match, my pistol gets completely disassembled, cleaned, and properly lubed. All mags also get completely disassembled, cleaned and dried. I have the same "always clean" mentality for my carry pistol. It is rare for a clean, properly lubricated pistol to malfunction.

·
Registered
15,738 Posts
Eggzactly right!!! I love it when some pilgrim scratches his head and asks "You have to CLEAN magazines? Can't I just hose them down with WD 40?"

·
Registered
118 Posts
WD40 in a mag omg .Same person probably complains when a mag won't work in his gun "you have to tune mags too" gooollllyyyy Andy.

·
Registered
540 Posts
WD40 gets into everything, including primers, which is why I love it. Just make sure you leave most of it on the shop floor. It's a fine solvent and water displacer. But don't confuse it with a lube.

·
Registered
15,738 Posts
I worked for an aviation company where if you were ever caught with a can of WD 40 in their hangar you were immediately pulled off the job and sent to the Boss's office where a VERY UNPLEASANT lecture was directed to you. WD 40 makes a fine glue for precision assemblies.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts