1911Forum banner
81 - 84 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
All my gins get cleaned when I get home from the range.
On guns in the vault I do the following once a year.
On my loaded carry gun about every couple of months.
Unload gun, lock slide back, Put a patch or Ramrodz with Breakfree Clp down the front of the barrel , if it doesn't look clean a second, then a dry one.
One drop of Breakfree LP on the front of the barrel where the bushing makes contact, one drop on the slide rails.
Ease the slide forward, one drop on the front part of the barrel hood. Where it meets the front of the ejection port.
Cycle the slide a few times to spread the oil.
Spray outside with Barricade and then a wipe with a clean soft rag.
Only takes a few minutes and keeps guns in top shape.

·
Registered
8,583 Posts
There are a lot of lubricants marketed for firearms. When it comes to 1911 and STI 2011 pistols, I simply use 3-1 oil, which is a light oil, and relatively inexpensive. At one time I used white lithium grease as a lube, but found out the hard way when shooting in very cold conditions, around 35 degrees, the grease would coagulate, and the gun would not function properly.....I was shooting in USPSA competition at the time, and have never used any type of grease since, unless it is on the fire control parts. I like and use Brownell's Action Lube which is a super slick moly grease.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I edc my 1911 compact and live in florida so its pretty humid so that with a little sweat from appendix carrying it needs to be wiped down and lubed at least once a month...I use frog lube which is pretty decent stuff. When I do a complete tear down I clean then add the lube then warm the parts with a hair dryer so it seeps into them. This in my opinion helps it last a little longer between range visits.

81 - 84 of 84 Posts