1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 2,200 rounds through my Wilson 1996A2. All rounds have been through my 6 Wilson 47D's and 1 Beaurocrat mags.

Today we were breaking in my friends NIB Kimber Custom Classics w/ nights sights (nice piece, BTW) and experienced 2 FTF's from the last round in 2 of the 47D mags. One was in his gun and the other in mine.

Do they need to be changed? If so, how frequently?

TIA

PS Anyone have any similar experiences with mags, Wilson or otherwise?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I heard that you should change them out every year. But that was the recommendation for carry magazines to prevent spring set.

My thoughts.... Change 'em out. Spring and follower sets are only about $7. Your magazines will basically be like new again.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
The problem of last round fail to feed may not have been from your mags, especially since they have not been used very much. Chances are the Kimber just didn't like the 47D mags. It happens.

Once a year is a good idea on changing our for carry purposes. For your practice mags, having one or two that are worn out is not a bad thing either since it will give you a chance to work jam drills during PRACTICE that you haven't actually set up with snap caps. Don't carry tired mags in your defense gun. I keep practice mags separate from carry mags just so that I know what is what.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It happened in my gun as well. May be one of the two "old style" feedlips, which my gun doesn't like. I'm going to number my mags and figure this out.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Yeah, as MADman and DNS said, change 'em once a year. It's cheap insurance.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE:
---------------------------------------------
Dane Burns
1911 Addict
posted 02-24-2001 03:49 PM
If your gun won't run with either 7 or 8 round Wilson mags flawlessly...you need to fix the gun.

I found this on the following thread: http://www.1911forum.com/ubb/Forum9/HTML/000194.html

I know many others say that Wilson mags should not be the cause of any problems in a 1911. Well, my 1996A2 has been back to the factory a few years ago for an ambi-safety and I told them to check the feedramp as I'd had hangups with other Wilson 47D's. Wilson gave the feedramp a clean bill of health.

So what else could be causing these FTF's if we rule out the mags and feedramp?

[This message has been edited by JacRyan (edited 05-19-2001).]

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Who's Dane Burns ???

JacRyan, maybe it's your AMMO ?!?!?!?
Whatcha shootin'?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL!

I'm shooting Sellior & Bellot 230 grain FMJ. It's what Wilson recommends for practice and IDPA. Seems to be good quality stuff (thought the red sealant gets all over you hands, gun, etc.).

How often do you recommend cleaning mags? I haven't broken mine down yet, but then again, they're not that dirty. I can get carbon out of them on my finger (not a lot, but noticable). They've never been dumped in the mud, etc., though they do take a fall to the dry grass whenever I hit slide lock.
Maybe I'll clean them tonight and see how things go. It has been getting kind'a dusty at the range lately....

·
Registered
126 Posts
The 8 round magazines are not worth the potential reliability problems, in my opinion.

I have learned from friends who have experienced jams with the 8 round magazines, from previously reliable guns.

My magazines are original 7 round Colt or Wilson-Rogers 7 round magazines. These magazines have proven to be completely reliable. I like the Wilson magazines better, for their well-designed follower, and their ease of disassembly for cleaning.

I have fired hundreds of rounds of Federal 230 grain Hydra-Shocks and thousands of rounds of 230 grain ball without failure with these magazines.

If I were to try the 8 round magazines, I would need to start the reliability testing all over again!

For me, the extra round is not worth the trade-off in reliability.

-Mk.IV

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Originally posted by JacRyan:
How often do you recommend cleaning mags?
Hey Jac,
For the couple minutes it takes to break down a mag for cleaning, I do it every second time I field strip my gun. Mags are such a critical component of a well functioning 1911 that I believe it is best to be better safe than sorry.

You also said in your original post that you were breaking in the Kimber. If this is a new gun, give it 500 rds. or so to settle down and break in. Don't blame or change anything until the gun is broken in.

Also, did you change recoil spring rate from stock?

[This message has been edited by shane45-1911 (edited 05-19-2001).]

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Jeez...if you haven't fired 1000 rds through it, you can't possibly know if it's reliable to the nth degree...just not enough history. That Shane guy...Now HE knows his stuff! That guy keeps his pistols and mags so clean you could see yer' face in 'em

...He is the cleaning and maintenence GURU of Wilson magazines!!!
That P/Ordanance of his is like a mirror!

Man...I wish I knew his secret...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
But it's happened to MY gun as well. And this 1996A2 had 2,200 documented rounds through it at the time. It also had a brand new 18.5 pound recoil spring and Shok Buff at 2,041 rounds. All was cleaned and lubed and ready to rip at last Friday's range session (except the mags).

I'll try cleaning the mags. Probably won't do it every other time, buy maybe 2X a year. I'll use the AR15.com method and let them soak disassembled in a hot tub of dishsoap, then rinse, let sit dry and lube/assemble.

You know, funny thing is, for the bad rap AR15's get, I've *never* had a problem with my 2 Colt's (one pre, one post). I've only cleaned the used 20 round mags I've gotten from gunshows. All my 30 rounders were NIW. Maybe it's about time to start a new habit of cleaning them all once a year....

Though I don't think I've *ever* cleaned my SIG P226 mags. In fact, I haven't cleaned or lubed the gun in 6 months. This thing just refuses to stop shooting. Maybe I'm subconciously trying to get it to jam.... Whatever I'm doing, it's not working. Wish I could say the same about my 1911. Guess I have to remember that .45ACP is a heck of a lot more abusive on a gun than 9mm. And the 9mm's tapered case makes it very feed friendly.

Oh well. I have my project for the night.

PS Good group over here on this board. I've been an AR15.com member for about 2 years, but recently have been hanging out here due to my renewed interest in pistol shooting. It's a fun and informative place to be.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been having frequent last-round FTFs with new factory 13-rd. mags for my Para-Ordinance P13. It doesn't happen with the original mag. Any suggestions? Someone said to get Wolf springs, but I can't find anything on them. Where can I get Wolf springs? Or does Wilson make a beefed-up spring?
BTW, Double Naught Spy, are you also a Sophisticated International Playboy?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks, Havoc. Glad to be here.
I had tried Wolf, Wolfe, but not Wolff.
I ordered 3 of their +10% XP mag springs. I hope it does the trick. If so, the P-O factory springs are lame for last round action.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
They'll work...personally, I never trust anything enough to rule it out. You have to start somewhere when troubleshooting anything. One thing at a time has to be ruled out. You can't just go through changing everything. Do one thing at a time, do it right and go to the next logical item and do the same til' you can reproduce the problem. Either the problem will stop or get worse when you find the right "item". Keep a log. Or, associate your yearly or bi-yearly maintenance with your birthday or somethin'...Good Luck...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts