1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that I should have more information on the gun, but a thread below got alot of comments over a 1930's NM 1911A1 which piqued my intrest.

It just so happens that in the 1930's (the year escapes me now) my grandfather bought an electric shaver at a Woolworth's store in Dallas. After being dissatisfied he returned to exchange it and found that there was no satisfactory replacements available.

During the return trip he noticed some 1911s in a case and thought about the fact that he didn't have a personal sidearm (He was a recently commissioned US Army Officer). I recall him saying that there was a regular pistol, and a National Match one, and that he ultimately decided to fork over the extra cash with his store credit for the NM. He carried that pistol throughout his service in WWII, though it was all stateside) and until retirement from the National Guard in the 1960's.

According to Grandpa, the pistol was refinished 3 times by a friend who also worked in the armory. Gramps wanted to parkerize it for better finish wear, but the friend would hear nothing of it and put on a polished blue each time. The last time was just prior to retirement, and the weapon has had maybe 200 rounds through it since then (mostly by me).

Several years ago the pistol was passed down to my father and it now sits in his gun safe. Maybe some day it will be mine.......

I will try and sneak some detailed looks at it or borrow it the next time I go to the farm, but from what I recall it has the brown plastic USGI style grips, a 2 tone magazine, and of course the C prefix. The last time it was shot was in 1995 (by me) and it printed one ragged hole point of aim at about 10 yards from a standing position. I was truely impressed.

When I have more information on the gun I'll post it and see what you experts can tell me about it. I already know the value: Priceless considering the family history behind it.

Saleen

· Registered
438 Posts
I think your my Nephew, and your Dad is going to pass it on to me since I'm younger than he is and I was his mother's favorite son.:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Just kidding, sounds like somethig real special. How about posting some pictures.

Hardball1911

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've tried pics in the past but they always seem to be too large to transfer and I really am not too adept at computers. Let me try and lay hands on it first and then I'll seek some assistance from one of you experts on how to attach the photo for all to see.

Thanks for the replies, and an opportunity to talk about this pistol.

Saleen

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.