1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My department wouldn't allow 1911's because they would have to be carried cocked and locked (C&L), which they didn't feel was safe, so we carried the S&W 4006, which is DA/SA. I'm looking at getting a gun for competition and CCW carry and have found a few 1911's that I like and can afford but worry about C&L as I'm not used to that.

I've read a few forums about this and the info seems all over the place. I thought about having a holster with the thumb strap between the hammer and the slide, but read that these can bump the safety off, but read that the open top holsters can let the gun slip out if not adjusted properly or may still allow an accidential discharge.

I've also read that the old style 1911's are unsafe as have no hammer block but the new ones have a hammer block that only moves if the trigger is pulled and that with this, the grip safety, and the manual safety this is safe.

Just trying to filter out all the wrong info to see if C&L is completely safe or if I should look at getting something that is DA/SA and has the hammer block.

Thanks folks,
Dan'o :} FNG

·
Registered
747 Posts
When I got my 1st 1911 20 years ago (a Colt SS Series 80 GM) I tried everything I could think of that could make that gun have an AD. Aside from doing anything destructive I couldn't make it fire without pulling the trigger. I tried all three safeties and then one by one tried them separately, if I kept my finger off the trigger it wouldn't go bang. I believe a lot of the "unsafe" ideas come from the look of it more than the truth of it. I've got 3 now and I trust them all as well as I would a Glock (and I like Glocks)

·
Registered
21,981 Posts
Nothing is completely safe, but I am about as comfortable with my 1911s as I am getting in a car.

If you want additional machinery, I suggest a Colt Series 80. At least you can buy parts for them and the gunsmiths have pretty well figured that system out. Which is more than can be said for Kimber and Smith & Wesson.

Do not buy a gun you are afraid of. If you are not willing to carry a 1911 or safetyized mutant in cocked and locked; get a DA of some sort and learn to love it.

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
This topic always amazes me. How can a 1911, with at least TWO active safeties, be more dangerous than a Glock with NONE? Thank goodness my department realized this, and while they did go to issued Glocks, still allowed 1911's as a deputy's option.

·
Registered
613 Posts
AZ Husker said:
This topic always amazes me. How can a 1911, with at least TWO active safeties, be more dangerous than a Glock with NONE? Thank goodness my department realized this, and while they did go to issued Glocks, still allowed 1911's as a deputy's option.
I agree totally. The Glocks have a lighter DAO trigger pull then I'd be comfortable carrying without a holster.....maybe even in a holster. I prefer cocked and locked with a manual safety.

·
Registered
442 Posts
For years I carried a glock because I wasn't "sure" about cocked and locked. I always felt natural with a 1911. My R/O even recommend I get one as I always shot his better than anything I owned. I've owned a couple holsters that would flick the safety off. They are gone now. I had that problem with the ambi on my micro. Lose the ambi, no more problem.
I have a couple of S&W DA autos, er like them too. I have no problem with glocks either, but I really regret not packing a 1911 sooner.

This is regularly debated on all gun board, I'm surprised the search nazis haven't reared their ugly head.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Cocked and locked is very dangerous for idiots.

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
Why Ben? It's much safer than a Glock or double action pistol!

·
Administrator
73,799 Posts
HIPCHIP said:
My department wouldn't allow 1911's because they would have to be carried cocked and locked (C&L), which they didn't feel was safe...
They don't feel it is safe because they can see the cocked hammer, which fills city administrators and clueless citizens alike with horror. Guns such as Glocks can be carried at "half cock" because nobody sees the partially cocked striker.

Out of sight, out of mind.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
AZ Husker said:
Why Ben? It's much safer than a Glock or double action pistol!
A Glock is very dangerous for idiots, too.

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
I'll agree... ANY gun is dangerous with idiots!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I kind of figured it would be safe C&L because I see some officers/departments carrying them, but during the search for info on this the info I found was confusing. I'm sure once I get one, walk around the house with it empty and get used to it I'll be very comfortable. I'll check out the link in the first reply and thanks for all the help guys.

When I started on the job all we could carry were revolvers, so I carried them for years, then we finally went to the auto and the "Legal" part of the dept put a scare into us. Funny thing is, the range officers wanted Glocks and that's what they recommended to the department, but the GUN GODS said S&W 4006. Even funnier, I just read a write-up on the dept's new 4006 TSW and all the problems they are having with them. Seems S&W did an UP/DOWN grade!!!

PS I thought S&W 1911's had all the safety's on them? That's the one I was looking at. It doesn't have all the safety whistles, bells, and buzzers (see response #3 by Jim Watson)?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Story that comes up: Texas Ranger Charlie Miller was minding his own business when a concerned citizen came up to him, noted the hammer cocked back on the big 1911 dangling from the Ranger's belt, and asked, "Isn't that dangerous?" Charlie replied, "I wouldn't carry the son-of-a-bitch if it wasn't dangerous."

on edit: link

·
Registered
445 Posts
HIPCHIP said:
I kind of figured it would be safe C&L because I see some officers/departments carrying them, but during the search for info on this the info I found was confusing. I'm sure once I get one, walk around the house with it empty and get used to it I'll be very comfortable. I'll check out the link in the first reply and thanks for all the help guys.

When I started on the job all we could carry were revolvers, so I carried them for years, then we finally went to the auto and the "Legal" part of the dept put a scare into us. Funny thing is, the range officers wanted Glocks and that's what they recommended to the department, but the GUN GODS said S&W 4006. Even funnier, I just read a write-up on the dept's new 4006 TSW and all the problems they are having with them. Seems S&W did an UP/DOWN grade!!!

PS I thought S&W 1911's had all the safety's on them? That's the one I was looking at. It doesn't have all the safety whistles, bells, and buzzers (see response #3 by Jim Watson)?
S&W 1911's have the same amount of safties as a series 80 colt, the difference is that the firing pin safety is operated by the grip safety instead of the trigger, like on a series 80 colt. I think the reason Jim doesn't like it, is because its not an exact copy of his Colts, some people are die hard Colt fans, in their eyes its not good enough if it don't have a pony on it. To me its good enough if it works, and it does, thats all there is to it in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
a cocked n locked 1911 is safe, period. its the person holding the weapon that determines how safe that weapon stays.

as for brands, thats up to you. i dont like smith autos much at all, and find nothing appealing about the smith 1911, but thats just me.

russel
SDMF

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
If you have ever hunted with a semi-auto or pump rifle or shotgun or a double gun with no external hammers, then chances are you have carried around all day a cocked and locked firearm, with only about a third of the safety features of a cocked and locked 1911. The difference was in perception, because you could not see the cocked internal hammer or striker.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts