1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reloading a few months with kind of a temporary setup on a desk. I'm getting ready to setup a dedicated loading bench to mount my press, powder stand, etc. and trying to decide how tall the bench should be. I like to sit while reloading. I know some use raised platforms for their presses. I have an available bench that is 40" tall. Would this be too tall?

·
Registered
118 Posts
If you already have a set-up on a desk, just set yourself in your reloading chair and see how much taller you would like it to be. That's how I would do it if I were to build one from scratch. It is going to be built by you, for you, so enjoy!

·
Registered
552 Posts
my bench was already a certain height and I just bought a surplus office chair with a pneumatic adjustment.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have been reloading a few months with kind of a temporary setup on a desk. I'm getting ready to setup a dedicated loading bench to mount my press, powder stand, etc. and trying to decide how tall the bench should be. I like to sit while reloading. I know some use raised platforms for their presses. I have an available bench that is 40" tall. Would this be too tall?
Here's a thread that you might find useful:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=388129

The original question was about a strong mount, but check out Gerk's reply in post #14. Read the whole thread, though, because there's several good points scattered throughout.

You might also want to check out the sticky with bench pics in it as well. Lots of good ideas you'll never think of there.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I would think 40" to be a good height. Getting an adjustable chair is nearly as important so you can make fine tune adjustments for long sessions at the bench. I also use mine for doing inlay work when I need a eye level adjustment and your 40" seems to be just about right.

·
Registered
256 Posts
What height would make you comfortable when used for several hours? That's your criteria. Only you can decide.

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
Go read that thread.

Maybe I'm short, maybe I'm tall. Bench height varies.

Some handloaders sit down, some handloaders stand up.

Different presses are different heights, and handles are different lengths.

Some presses have a 'strong mount' type stand as an option,
depending upon the one you buy it raises the press.

So you need to determine what height works for you.

I don't know about you, but 40" wouldn't work for me at all. Too high.

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
I made my bench 40" tall. I use a Strong Mount with my 550, which raises the press another 8 1/2 inches. I'm 6'1", and this places everything at a comfortable height for me while standing, and also works well while sitting using an adjustable bar stool type chair.

For other tasks, such as weighing powder or bullets, I find the 40" height much more comfortable than the standard 36" bench height.

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
I don't know about you, but 40" wouldn't work for me at all. Too high.

:) Yeah, my little brother says bad things about me when he uses my 40" high bench :)

Of him I always say what a fine fellow he is; what little bit there is of him :D

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
:) Yeah, my little brother says bad things about me when he uses my 40" high bench :)

Of him I always say what a fine fellow he is; what little bit there is of him :D
:biglaugh:

Snow is a half foot taller than me, that gives frogfurr a clue.
If frog is a tall guy, that 40" may just work!

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Mine is 41",yeah odd.I made it long and figured where I wanted the press for sitting and standing.When I found a spot comfortable to grab the handle I just measured from there to the handle and trimmed the legs that amount.It works great to stand or sit on a bar stool.I don't think I grew but it seems shorter,and I'm only 6' wearing workboots.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I'm not sure how tall mine is, never measured it. I built mine at a height where it is comfortable for me to reload while standing, or while sitting on my shop stools. I find that I stand and reload about 90% of the time though.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm a little bit shorter than snow. I am used to reloading on top of a desk. But sometimes I think I would like my beam scale (Yes. I still do use a beam scale. We are all not extinct yet) closer eye level and my bench mounted powder dispenser closer to eye level. Just wondered if others have their bench height set up that way.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's a thread that you might find useful:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=388129

The original question was about a strong mount, but check out Gerk's reply in post #14. Read the whole thread, though, because there's several good points scattered throughout.

You might also want to check out the sticky with bench pics in it as well. Lots of good ideas you'll never think of there.
This link helped a lot mostly due to the quality of the pics. I have always reloaded on a desk top about 30" high and always wished my powder dispenser, press, and scale were a little higher. The 40" tall bench is already in my garage. I just ordered a new press so when it comes I'm going to try it on the 40" tall bench. I like the adjustable stool idea also.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
One thing you might consider is whether you ever want to stand to load. I sit at my present loading area but loaded for years at a bench just right for standing. I did have an adjustable stool available for when I wanted to sit.

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
But sometimes I think I would like my beam scale closer eye level...
May I make a suggestion, just for fun? :)

If possible, put your scale on a separate shelf or table or bench, or on a wall shelf at eye level.
If you put it on a separate surface, it settles down faster as you're working on the bench.
Especially handy if it stays in one spot all the time, it's much more consistent
day to day, and year to year.

In the long run (like 40+ years of running) I've found that to be one of the best rules
for setting up scales of all types. Divorce them from the work bench and they
are more consistent and settle down faster.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I like the shelf idea for the scale. I am constantly bumping mine while reloading and have to recheck level. I have a good powder dispenser and only check charges every 50 or so rounds. It sure would free up a lot of space on the bench.

·
Registered
7,818 Posts
Mine is 39".

It works just right and I can either stand or sit to load.

Like others, my scales (I have two and use them to double check each other) are on a shelf on a book case type shelving unit I have a lot of supplies etc. on. A stable setting for balance scales is always a good idea.

For decades, I used scales to weigh materials worth up to $600 a pound. At that rate, you want accuracy so when I started loading, ensuring proper powder weight was already ingrained.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
The separate shelf idea is good but won't work in my deal.I put 2 shelves at the back as one complete unit.The uprights on each end have finish nails holding shelholders,wrench,whatever,and across the front of the middle shelf the nails hold my primer tubes across the face.My scale sits on the top shelf right at eye level standing and the measure is on the left near the wall.I can place a case in the block or reach straight up and do a check.The measure is mounted in the std Uniflow stand and is about the perfect height same as the Rockchucker mounted near the rt corner.It could be wider but that was the space I had when I made it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts