1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all, I'm new to the tight-bushing-required-1911 scene. My new pistol isn't a Les Baer, but since I know you folks are accustomed to tight pistols I thought this would be the best place for advice.

I had the pistol made (by SA Custom Shop) purposely with a standard guide rod and plug precisely because I didn't want to have to use any tools to disassemble it. Including a bushing wrench. Well, the pistol came to me super tight and very nice shooting. Unfortunately the bushing is so tight that even with the barrel out of the gun...only the bushing and the slide, I still have to use the wrench to even turn the bushing in the slide. And I have to tap it out of the slide. All this without the barrel even being in the picture. Is this too tight? I'm thinking yes but I don't want to screw up my custom gun.

If so, what is the best way to loosen it up so I can turn the bushing by hand? It is a stainless bushing but I'd have absolutely no idea of what to do with sandpaper or "lapping compound" (don't even know what that is), without screwing it up.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
626 Posts
Howdy all, I'm new to the tight-bushing-required-1911 scene. My new pistol isn't a Les Baer, but since I know you folks are accustomed to tight pistols I thought this would be the best place for advice.

I had the pistol made (by SA Custom Shop) purposely with a standard guide rod and plug precisely because I didn't want to have to use any tools to disassemble it. Including a bushing wrench. Well, the pistol came to me super tight and very nice shooting. Unfortunately the bushing is so tight that even with the barrel out of the gun...only the bushI still have to use the wrench to even turn the bushing in the slide. And I have to tap it out of the slide. ing and the slide, All this without the barrel even being in the picture. Is this too tight? I'm thinking yes but I don't want to screw up my custom gun.

If so, what is the best way to loosen it up so I can turn the bushing by hand? It is a stainless bushing but I'd have absolutely no idea of what to do with sandpaper or "lapping compound" (don't even know what that is), without screwing it up.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. :biglaugh:
I had a pistol a very good local Smith worked on for me. The bushing he installed was tight like that. It has loosened up a little after being shot. If its functioning properly and is accurate, I say shoot that sucker!! :rock:

·
Banned
2,125 Posts

Put your hands in the air and backaway from the sandpaper!:biglaugh:

Seriously,
You wanted an accurate 1911 and I'd say the custom shop at SA tried to deliver.Some shops equate a tight bbl bushing to accuracy,I am not going to open that can of worms! It is a matter of philosophy.I have 5 1911's,3 of which require a wrench to turn the bushing.Are these 3 more accurate than the others that don't require a wrench? Not in my hands.One of the most accurate of the bunch does not require a wrench.
But,as the previous poster said,SHOOT THAT SUCKER! That will definately loosen it up(over time).A tight 1911 is NOT a bad thing.
Regards,
DAT85

·
Premium Member
6,665 Posts
The easiest way to loosen it up is first check to see how sharp the edges are on the lugs on the bushing and the cuts in the slide. If these are dead sharp that could be your problem.

#2 Honing out the slide would be the quickest way to free it up, but not recomended.

#3 Stoning the bushing in the proper places will also do the trick.

Bob

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
Send it (the barrel, slide and bushing) to the custom shop (or any good 1911 smith) asking them to loosen the slide to bushing fit to allow "wrenchless" removal.

Trust me, this will be the only way you will be happy with the results. They most likely will not charge you anything, and will only take a couple of days.

When these are fitted, a mandrel is used with a lathe to ensure the bushing will remain concentric (ID to OD). To do this job correctly, you need the mandrel and a lathe.

How about some pics of the SA?

·
Banned
13,564 Posts
My TRS was like that when I first bought it. Best way (and most fun) is to just shoot it. Aft 600 rounds I still need the bushing wrench to turn it but at least now it will come out.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Send it (the barrel, slide and bushing) to the custom shop (or any good 1911 smith) asking them to loosen the slide to bushing fit to allow "wrenchless" removal.

Trust me, this will be the only way you will be happy with the results. They most likely will not charge you anything, and will only take a couple of days.

When these are fitted, a mandrel is used with a lathe to ensure the bushing will remain concentric (ID to OD). To do this job correctly, you need the mandrel and a lathe.

How about some pics of the SA?
Always happy to provide pics Blr! :biglaugh:

Thanks for the info and suggestions folks. DAT 85, I laughed at your step away from the sand paper comment.:biglaugh: I'm thinking that what BLR said was true, if I do intent to have it altered I don't have much of a choice besides sending it back to SA. After spending so much on this pistol in both time and money I'd hate to do something to screw it up myself.

As for the guys who are saying to just shoot the thing, I completely see your point. I'm sure the tightness isn't a bad thing and that shooting it will eventually loosen it up. My only concern is that 1) I don't have the cash to do a ton of shooting with it at the moment, and 2) I never wanted it that tight to begin with. I told SA that I did not intent for it to be a target gun and it was going to be a carry/ home defense gun from the get go. I am super impressed with the job they did on it, only it's a bit more tha I had in mind. hehe. I know, it sounds like a really stupid thing to be complaining about. I'd just hoped to be able to strip it without tools.

Thanks again for the info and suggestions everyone.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
My baer bushing is fairly tight too, with the feet of the bushing up it comes off the barrel easier. I have to use the barrel to tap out the bushing from the slide.

·
Premium Member
9,610 Posts
the tightest bushing would eventually loosen up after a couple of thousand rounds with routine field stripping/cleaning in between using a bushing wrench.....from personal experience.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have about 2k through my TRS and I still need a wrench for the bushing. I'm sending my gun to Harrison Custom next week and that's one thing on my list to have done (loosen).

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
I took my brand new LB PII to the local 1911 Smith for a little trigger tuning--the trigger was "in spec" but a little higher than I wanted. I have about 200 rds through it.

He disassembled the thing faster than I can type this, and commented about the tight bushing. He said that he could free it up a bit with lapping compound if I wanted, but that it was turnable with a plastic wrench as it was, which was fine with me so I declined his offer. Apparently, lapping compound is the accepted method for loosening the bushing, at least with this smith. Lapping compound should be available at any "real" hardware store and in my opinion it would be pretty hard to screw using it, with any reasonable care Lapping compound is simply grit suspended in a paste-like media.

·
Premium Member
3,918 Posts
I say leave it be. Using a wrench is no big deal.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I would shoot the gun and enjoy it and it's accuracy and not worry about the bushing being tight.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Racking the gun slightly out of battery will typically make it easier to turn the bushing. It may well be snug in the slide, but if it's fitted tightly to the barrel at lock up, you'll at least be taking that part of the friction out of the equation. Usually eliminates the need to use a bushing wrench.

And, as others have said, shooting is good medicine for this sort of thing. :)

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
When my TRS was new I put the slide in a padded vise and worked the bushing (no barrel) back and forth several times. I did this the first four or five times I had it apart. That and shooting it has helped smooth it up nicely.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I say leave it be. Using a wrench is no big deal.
I appreciate the added replies, folks. Oak1971, to me it is. The reason I don't use full-length guide rods is that I don't believe in a combat weapon that requires tools to field strip. Right or wrong, it's my opinion. :biglaugh:

I've decided to go the "shoot it more" route. And Rinspeed, I've actually started doing that (minus the vice), and you're right, it has loosened it up a little bit so far.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts