1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought my new para p14.45.. an its my first brand new gun... i just want to know the proper way to break it in...

·
Registered
743 Posts
Keep it well oiled with Mobile 1. When breaking in my new kimber (a new thing for me as we just uses to shoot, shoot, shoot) I field stripped , cleaned and oiled it well with Mobile 1. I did this for the first 500 rounds. Might seem excessive on the cleaning and oiling but I believe it aided a good smooth break in. the Kimber is shooting like a champ now. I was at home on my own range so no trouble to shoot it some and clean.

Ren

·
Registered
15 Posts
Keep it well oiled with Mobile 1. When breaking in my new kimber (a new thing for me as we just uses to shoot, shoot, shoot) I field stripped , cleaned and oiled it well with Mobile 1. I did this for the first 500 rounds. Might seem excessive on the cleaning and oiling but I believe it aided a good smooth break in. the Kimber is shooting like a champ now. I was at home on my own range so no trouble to shoot it some and clean.

Ren
I keep hearing "mobile 1" My question is What viscosity do you buy?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the reply.. i read something in the net which said that fire-clean-fire-clean the barrel.. 1 shot then clean.. repeat 5 tyms.. so i just need to lubricate and shoot.. thank god i wont have to do that thing.. thanks again guys

·
Registered
80 Posts
Read that little bitty book that came with your new gun. You may have to look to find it, but it will be in there. It will be the manufacturers recommendation for a breakin period.

Mine said to shoot 100 rds., field strip, clean and lube and repeat the same cycle 3 times. I followed the instructions and guess what.....it worked! Started with a few FTF/FTE and ended up flawlessly by the end of the 300 rd. breakin period.

·
Registered
160 Posts
From my Para Owners manual

This is from my owners manual.

BREAK-IN PERIOD FOR A LIFETIME OF SERVICE
All Para pistols are hand assembled to exacting tolerances and, like any precision instrument, we recommend that you adhere to the following break-in period before placing your new Para pistol into service.

Take your pistol to the range and carefully follow the SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS which follow on how to load and fire your pistol. Using the correct ammunition for your model pistol (see Table 1) and following the previous CAUTIONS, shoot 50 rounds of ammunition through the pistol alternating with each of the two magazines provided with your pistol. Should you encounter any difficulties try a different brand or type of high quality factory made ammunition. Remember that you must have a proper grip on the pistol to ensure its reliable function. If you suspect that you are having malfunctions due to an unlocked wrist while shooting your pistol consult your Para Dealer or a certified handgun instructor on the proper technique of gripping your pistol. Repeat the 50-round break-in cycle. At 250 rounds, field strip your pistol according to the Disassembly instructions starting on page 28. Inspect the pistol for proper lubrication, clean the pistol and re-lubricate it following the Reassembly instructions on page 32. Repeat this cycle until you have reached 500 rounds. If you have any malfunctions consult your Para Dealer or Para Customer Service.
BE SURE TO ALWAYS USE ALL PROPER SAFETY PRECAUTIONS WHEN LOADING AND FIRING YOUR PISTOL.

·
Registered
15 Posts
+2 on the interest in the oil

I searched it, it seems like any viscosity seems to work, even read a post about mobile 1 synthetic gease(in small abounts) on the frame and slide rails. Next time I clean mine I'm going to give it a whirl. I look at it this way: if it doesn't work...I will go back to what does

Justin

·
Registered
160 Posts
Im interested in this "mobile 1" phenomenon also.What's the deal with mobile 1 oil????
The gunsmith I use swears by it. It works, I've been using it at his recommendation. He says to use 0W-40 synthetic. He says that it prevents galling on stainless steel. And he told me if you really want to get fancy mix it 50-50 with "Slick 50". You can pay $5 an ounce for that high speed stuff from brownells or go down to wally-world and get mobile 1 for $5 a quart.

Hope this helps you all.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Hey, does it have to be "Mobile 1"? Can I use any other motor oils, like say Castrol or Penzoil?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hey, does it have to be "Mobile 1"? Can I use any other motor oils, like say Castrol or Penzoil?
I think maybe you could use another brand yeah but it still should be synthetic, like Castrol Syntec or something like that. The synthetic oils have better viscosity I know that from working in the auto business. But try getting an oil change on a V8 with synthetic for $20.00 like Jiffy Lube advertises not happening. :D

·
Registered
812 Posts
Well, I guess it's good that I don't drive a car that is equipped with the Vs or the 8s... :biglaugh: It's a four-bangger....:bawling:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts