1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping for some input on maintaining a CQB with level 3 engraving. What product to use that doesn't discolor the wood grip panels? Method of getting the product down into the low spots of the engravings? Anything helpful information to keep the pistol as perfect as possible.

Will I shoot the pistol? Probably not. My game plan is pass down the pistol to my son. I never thought I would ever buy anything this nice but this pistol came up for sale. I always wanted a pistol like this so I figured why not.

Thanks
Air gun Wood Gun barrel Revolver Trigger

·
Premium Member
Prefer Commanders
1,000 Posts
I am hoping for some input on maintaining a CQB with level 3 engraving. What product to use that doesn't discolor the wood grip panels? Method of getting the product down into the low spots of the engravings? Anything helpful information to keep the pistol as perfect as possible.

Will I shoot the pistol? Probably not. My game plan is pass down the pistol to my son. I never thought I would ever buy anything this nice but this pistol came up for sale. I always wanted a pistol like this so I figured why not.

Thanks View attachment 622893
My self I would have to shoot it a bit and carry it to those special occasions where it is acceptable. A soft camel hair brush to get oil in all that beautiful engraving and a white glove when handling. it is spectacular

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
I'd take the grips off to clean the gun if you are worried about them.

As for the engraving, CLP and a soft cloth for as much as it sounds like you'll shoot it will be more than enough.

Honestly, gun are meant to be shot. A few range sessions each year will hardly impact the gun. Enjoy it ;)

·
Super Moderator
15,829 Posts
I agree with the posts above; use a good CLP on the engraved portions, and what I use on checkered grips is a toothbrush with a little Johnsons paste wax on rare occasion.

BTW - absolutely gorgeous pistol, nice acquisition!

·
Registered
13,701 Posts
Grips are best removed anyway for preservation treatment.

I’d thoroughly spray (periodically) the gun with Barricade, inside and outside, then place it in a Bore-Stores protective gun bag/sock, and keep it in low humidity storage. You could even go ultra-low humidity for the gun itself. (Don’t store fine wood grip panels in an ultra-low humidity environment).

The gun will last forever if so treated.

Shooting or not shooting a prized gun is a personal decision. If your inclination is to not shoot it, stay with that inclination…especially if you have other good guns for that purpose. Going against one’s own inclinations often leads to later regrets…and in this case you can always change your mind.

Reactions: Grandpas50AE

·
Premium Member
7,142 Posts

Oh mercy ... That is some mechanical artistry! Congratulations.

For any serious cleaning, the grip stocks should be removed. Those are too nice to risk with metal cleaners / treatments. Those panels I'd treat the same as body parts of an acoustic guitar: a [ tiny ] blob of carnauba wax on each, rubbed all over and wiped down. tiny: like covering 1/2 a Q-Tip end. A dime-sized blob is good for a medium sized guitar.

No pistols with decorative engravure like that; so leaving that to people with experience.

Reactions: chrysanthemum

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for the kinds words. I was browsing the web and saw this pistol at Gunslinger's website and thought what to heck. Showed it to my wife and she told me to get it. I have been showing her like pistols for years and she just shook her head. I actually though the pistol would cost a lot more. From what I have gathered over the years on here is that a Super Grade with pretty much all the bells and whistles would cost about the same.

It arrived at the LGS store today but they closed early. I called the LGS and the guy informed my they were closed but did ask me if I needed the pistol. Kind of sounded like he would go in and let me pick it up but I told him I would wait until Friday.

I will probably be back to ask a few more questions. Thank you for the input. Have a Happy Thanksgiving!!

·
Super Moderator
15,829 Posts
After waiting years for your wife to see one she approves of, one more day of waiting isn't going to matter in the big picture IMHO. I'm sure the LGS owner was very appreciative of you waiting that one day extra for him to spend the day with family for Thanksgiving. Have a blessed Thanksgiving nod, and let us know how the gun pleases you both at home giving it TLC and at the range.

Reactions: tgt_usa

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Yep, that is a super nice pistol. Shoot/carry it, that is what it was built for. I've carried several engraved pistols over the years and while they are something special to look at, they carry/shoot just like any other pistol. The grips are the only thing you need to be careful with, which is why I moved away from pretty wood to G10.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After waiting years for your wife to see one she approves of, one more day of waiting isn't going to matter in the big picture IMHO. I'm sure the LGS owner was very appreciative of you waiting that one day extra for him to spend the day with family for Thanksgiving. Have a blessed Thanksgiving nod, and let us know how the gun pleases you both at home giving it TLC and at the range.
That is exactly the way I see it. I have waited a lot longer for a pistol. Remember in the day we waited at least six months for a regular Wilson pistol and those that ordered Super Grades waited a couple of years? As you stated, one more day is nothing.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I understand about the wood grips. Dare I mention I carry a Glock G19? I would like to know how many door cases I have banged it into. I did get a SFX9 but haven't got around to shooting it. The game plan is to start carrying the SFX9.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
I would recommend you care for it the same way I care for my engraved guns - SHOOT IT!!!
But, clean it after shooting and wipe with a silicone rag. Enjoy it - it’s a beauty.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would recommend you care for it the same way I care for my engraved guns - SHOOT IT!!!
But, clean it after shooting and wipe with a silicone rag. Enjoy it - it’s a beauty.
I was thinking about a silicone rag but am wondering if the rag gets down to the bottom of the engravings. I know a soft tooth brush should do the trick. That is what I use for the checkering on my other pistol. That and CLP.

·
Super Moderator
15,829 Posts
That is exactly the way I see it. I have waited a lot longer for a pistol. Remember in the day we waited at least six months for a regular Wilson pistol and those that ordered Super Grades waited a couple of years? As you stated, one more day is nothing.
Yep, I ordered my Baron blued CQB in August of 2012 with an estimate of 12 - 14 months build time, and was pleasantly surprised when it came in August of 2013 a month to shoot it before my first Hackathorn class. The Baron bluing and gold inlay symbol and letters were what took an extra 4 months over the normal 8 month wait back then, but they told me that up front. I don't have a problem waiting for something worthwhile.

Reactions: nod

·
Premium Member
2,131 Posts
I was thinking about a silicone rag but am wondering if the rag gets down to the bottom of the engravings. I know a soft tooth brush should do the trick. That is what I use for the checkering on my other pistol. That and CLP.
Beware the silicone rag on the Baron Blue finish. Wiping it down may be ok, but do not wrap the pistol in it for storage. It would seem an obvious thing to do. My friend and co-worker at the LGS I work had his almost new Supergrade wrapped and stored in the silicone rag that came with the pistol from Wilson. Totally ruined the Blue and is currently on its way back to Wilson. We're anxious to hear what they say about it.

Bicycle part Musical instrument accessory Bumper Automotive exterior Guitar accessory

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you for that information. I was using a Pro Shot silicone cloth the other day to wipe down a knife blade and the package stated "Do not store gun in the cloth for storage". I am sorry about your friend's pistol and that is a nice pistol. I finally just broke down and sent an email to WC yesterday in reference on the proper care. Normally I take the wood grip panels off and put on the aggressive starburst grip panels and just use Breakfree CLP. When WCRep used to hang around here he said the CLP would stain the wood. Near as I can figure out Ballistol is what to use as it claims it won't hurt wood. I will just wait to hear back from from WC as my pistol is Turnbull blued on the slide.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes thank you, I just informed my friend who stores his new Experior Compact in the WC cloth as to the problem.
Yes thank you, I just informed my friend who stores his new Experior Compact in the WC cloth as to the problem.
The only problem Ive had is on the baron blue finish. Stainless is no issue neither is armor tuff.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts