1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How to change Champion recoil spring

Ok, you guys are going to think I'm an idiot.

I am trying to figure out how to dissasemble the guide rod with the small spring so I can change the spring. I can't figure out how to get the small spring off. Can any of you help me?

Chris

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Don't understand. Are you talking about the recoil spring which slides over the guide rod? If so, just slip it off and install a new one, nothing to it or using the allen wrench that should have come with your gun (if a SA two piece rod) insert the allen wrench at the tip (under barrel bushing) and twist counter clockwise to break the rod into two pieces. This is the only thing I can think of given your message?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just realized I wasn't very specific.

I have a loaded champion with a dual recoil spring setup.

I'm not talking about the large spring. I'm talking about the smaller spring that is immediately covering the guide rod.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Not sure about the champion but looking at my book it looks like it should twist apart so you can get at the spring. The manual is pretty vague so hopefully a champ owner will step in!

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I've never had a Champion, but I thought I've read that the recoil springs on them have to be rplaced as an assembly, I don't think you just put another spring in. But as torrejon said, hopefully a Champ owner will come along soon. Good luck.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
surely it doesn't have to be purchased as an entire assembly??

Is there a way to convert the dual setup to a FLGR?? Can anyone point me to the right stuff to buy to do this?

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Why not call SA or e-mail and ask them? If there anything like S&W they'll probably send you a free spring or kit, whatever is needed.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
431 Posts
I called Springfield today and asked about a replacement for the Recoil assembly for the Ultra Compact. It sounds like a similar setup as noted above - captured rod with an additional spring. Vicki quoted me $35 + shipping for everything - 7 parts total, including a reverse plug and take down tool.
Here is a list of part # if anyone is interested:
PI4631
PI4692
PI4833
PI4836
PI4832
PI4835
PI4893

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd really like to be able to eliminate the dual recoil setup. Surely there is a way to change to maybe a FLGR or USGI setup with the Champion??

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'd really like to be able to eliminate the dual recoil setup. Surely there is a way to change to maybe a FLGR or USGI setup with the Champion??
I don't know what a "Champion" is but you might want to look at this link for Wolff springs to see if this is your pistol. This will solve your issue if it's the right pistol.

http://www.gunsprings.com/SemiAuto/ColtNF.html#Officers

RECOIL SPRINGS from W. C. Wolff Company for the Colt Officer's Model series 80, are a single recoil spring design which replaces the original dual springs. The single recoil spring offers superior performance over dual springs which have a normal tendency to bind against each other as well as having a "mushy" feeling. The single spring offers crisp and reliable operation not usually found in dual spring systems.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
the champion is the commander size . ( colts commander is 4 .25 inch barrel, some other companies like springfield and kimber cut it down to an even 4 inches)

if it uses a barrel bushing you should be able to come up with something.

if however you have a bull barrel ( cone shaped barrel at the end fits directly to the slide with no barrel bushing) you are pretty much screwed.. lol.

several companies now make the " commander size" ( full length frame, 4 inch barrel) more like the compact guns. i know the kimber pro's use a bull barrel.

have you shot enough through the gun that you need to replace the springs or are you just replacing them?

russel
SDMF

·
Registered
440 Posts
Champions have bull barrels.

EGW and Wilson make conversions, i.e. springs, rods and reverse plugs, that supposedly work in these guns although the EGW did not work properly in my LW Champion. I e-mailed Springfield today to see if they had a solution.

Reason to change? The single springs are much cheaper to buy than the captured, double spring assembly and you can "fine tune" the pistol for shooting reduced loads with an assortment of different ratings of springs.

Cloudpeak

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Champions have bull barrels.

EGW and Wilson make conversions, i.e. springs, rods and reverse plugs, that supposedly work in these guns although the EGW did not work properly in my LW Champion. I e-mailed Springfield today to see if they had a solution.

Reason to change? The single springs are much cheaper to buy than the captured, double spring assembly and you can "fine tune" the pistol for shooting reduced loads with an assortment of different ratings of springs.

Cloudpeak

Wilson makes a conversion? I've looked at their site but can't find any conversion kit. Could you possibly link me to it?

Do let me know what Springfield says if you don't mind. Although I'm sure they won't be too keen on the idea.

Chris

·
Registered
440 Posts
Chris,

Below is an e-mail I received from Wilson. I never checked it out because I was trying to trouble shoot the EGW system to make it work. I'll let you know what I hear from Springfield.

In one of the gun forums, someone just mentioned that they had checked with Springfield with converting an "Ultra" (I think the 3 1/2 barrel ?) to a single spring and Springfield listed the parts required. Hopefully, if you can convert an Ultra, we can convert our Champions.

Cloudpeak

Nicholas Moraitis wrote:
> We do offer a rod that will replace your current recoil system. The
> #P25SCR for $17.99 will install with your current recoil spring cap
and
> allow you to use standard 4" recoil springs.
>
> Thank you
> Nick M.
> 800-955-4856 ext. 105
> 870-545-3635 fax
> Wilson Combat

·
Registered
440 Posts
e-mail from Springfield

Here's the e-mail I received from Springfield concerning changing a Champion over to a single recoil spring.

Cloudpeak

Using a single recoil spring system in the Champion model will require
changing the recoil springs approx. every 1500-2000 rounds compared to
approx. every 10000-15000 rounds with the dual recoil spring system.
You would need to order the recoil spring guide (PI4514-$9.15), recoil
spring plug (PI4515-$5.05) and recoil spring (PI4629-$11.05). Standard
ground return shipping and handling for these parts would be $8.95.

Deb
Custom Shop Coordinator
Springfield Custom
420 West Main St.
Geneseo, IL 61254
800-617-6751
[email protected]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts