1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone who has shot my pistol always shoots to the left, so I know it is not a flinch or my fault.

Which way would I move my rear sight in order to bring it back to center of POA?

It is shooting about 3" left at 71 feet.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Gravity - is that correct? I'd always been told rear sights move in the direction of bullet impact. If he/she has a gun that is shooting to the left, and wants to adjust it using the rear sight - wouldn't a shift to the right be correct?

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Hankhan is correct -to the RIGHT boys !!!!!!

Stop and think about it. I always use my hands to help. Make a "V" (peace sign) with one hand. This represents the rear notch. Stick up one finger of the other hand - this is the front post. Now line 'em up and move the rear peace sign in one direction. Which way do you have to move the front post? The way the front post moves, is the way the bullet impact will move.

[This message has been edited by shane45-1911 (edited 05-15-2001).]

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you shoot left move the rear to the right. If you bowl to the left you move to the left.
I always mix those up.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Always move the rear sight in the direction you want the bullet to correct. If you want the bullet to move to the right, you move the rear sight to the right.
PS: Small sight corrections are the way to go......

------------------
Really interesting....Don't ya think??

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
One way or the other.

But if you start to the right (in your case), you'll get a more satisfied result.

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Hell, Boys, It's simple. Aim to the right. LOL.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
Molon Labe

·
Registered
594 Posts
Move it to the left to correct left shooting. If you are sure it is your sights.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all of the help.

I have sat down and thought about it..and thought about it...and thought about it.

Depending on your frame of reference (either including the slide and sights, or thinking about the sights alone) a good case can be made for either moving the rear sight left or right. Move it right if your Frame of Reference (FOR) includes both the slide and sights, or move it left if your FOR is sights only.

I have concluded that I will move the rear sight in very small increments to the right based on the majority of responses and the fact that the rear sight sits left of center right now.

Thanks for the info folks.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
SBLars,,,

Do yourself a favor, move the rear sight to the right. The rule is to move the rear sight in the direction you want the bullet to go. In your case that is to the right.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
I would suggest slightly filing down the front sight.

OK - I'm kidding but this post IS fun !

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Originally posted by Gravity:
Move it to the left to correct left shooting. If you are sure it is your sights.
Gravity, stop and think about this! He is holding sights line up on the x-ring. His bullets are impacting to the left of the bullseye. He must move the rear sight to the RIGHT in order to pull the rounds over into the x-ring.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Yeah...I always hit to the right so you send me all your guns and I'll "fix" them for you...Should take about...9 years

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Oops. I retract my earlier post and agree with the folks who say move the rear sight to the right. Sorry for the misinformation on my part -- I didn't read your post carefully enough!

------------------
Regards,
AZFred

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'd shoot it from a rest before I moved any thing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts