1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a couple of Colts that I bought that didnt have the original boxes. I have noticed that the box styles have changed multiple times over the years. I can determine by serial numbers when my Colts were made, but dont know how to determine which is the proper style box. Is there a source for this information? thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
bump

I'm trying to find a source of information as to which style colt boxes were used in which year. I am trying to find original style and period boxes to go with my various colts. Any help appreciated. For example, I have this Gold cup that was made in the 1986-1992 timeframe.
(and, yes, th SN was edited out of pix)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
this'll get you to the top but I bought a Colt Python new in 1985 and it came in the styrofoam and dark brown wood grained cardboard box...
Bill

·
Registered
23,223 Posts
That is interesting. In 1985 Colt was still using the Styrofoam in the brown cardboard box. First of all this is a cautionary tale. When you buy that "New in Box (NIB)" gun it may not be NIB. I do see boxes at gun shows. Like $100 for a box with the papers inside.

There is no database I know of. Even articles in old gun magazines usually do not show the box. The best way I know is lots of research on this and other 1911 forums. Of course when somebody posts a gun with a box how do you know they didn't get ripped off and it is not the correct box. I once looked at a 70s Colt. Gov in pretty good shape at a gun show. The fellow was selling it as "NIB" and it was in a Colt Woodsman (a .22 auto) Box. It didn't fit and the 1911 was obviously not new.

So I know this is the original box of this 1977 GCNM as I bought it new in that year from a fellow bulls eye shooter I knew quite well who owned a gunstore, and Colt says it was made in 1977 (I was hoping it was made in 1976). Here is the box, papers, little manila envelope with the bushing wrench, the screwdriver fob, and the allen wrench. All the stuff you got with it in 1977.

Recently I bought a 1996 GCNM from a gunstore I do a lot of business with and it was NOT advertised NIB, but I would say it is lightly shot and came with a box and papers. I assume it was the right box and papers. I don't care. I buy the gun, not the box. I took off the wrap arounds and put on the fake (Ajax) ivory grips.

Still a box gives you a place to put stuff you take off a gun. If I alter a gun I save all the parts I take off and only alter it in ways that it can be returned to original. I usually buy the blue, foam lined plastic boxes, and then put a lable on the end as to the gun and S/N.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
My Python box looked like yours...even the Colt Companion...I had to send my Python back to Colt (actually they directed me to a local Colt Gun Smith as they were on strike as I recall) as it fired 5 rounds and the cylinder locked up...mine was made in 1985 (bought from a trusted dealer in the Shotgun News...
Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts