1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am trying to install a new bomar style sight on my 2011. it won't slide into the dovetail.

So how do i fit it?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Basically you fit the sight to the dovetail. Dawson precision has some very good install videos that will give you some good instruction on the process.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Always file on the cheapest part.

·
Registered
8,275 Posts
Bomar rear sight....

Sure it's Bomar?
The OP said "a Bomar style" so I am assuming he is installing an adjustable rear sight that is a knockoff of the original Bomar.

If a person doesn't have enough knowledge to know how to fit a rear sight, then it may be best to leave the job to a competent gunsmith. Normally, a Bomar style rear sight also requires the slide to be drilled and tapped....I believe the elevation screw is a 6-48 thread.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
You need a sight base file available from brownells. File the dovetail section of the sight until it is a press fit and drive it home with a sight pusher or non marring punch. Move it in until the hole for the elevation screw on the slide lines up with the hole in the sight. Then lock down the sight with the set screw and install the elevation screw. Make sure the elevation screw has its full range of travel up and down. If it doesn't, you may need to drift the sight slightly left or right until it does.

Or pay someone 40 bucks to do it.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
I would bet the STI unit is made by Kensight and just branded STI. You could measure the STI sight dovetail for comparison. If the new base dovetail is a tad wider, place a large mill or bastard file flat on a bench surface and draw the new sights base or dovetail flat along the file. Do this til the sight starts to fit in the slide dovetail. I like to get a sight to hand fit the dovetail maybe 1/3 rd the way, then with a leather or rubber mallet hit it home. On that style sight be sure, one ,that the set screw and windage screw are out. Two ,that the leaf tang is up and out of the way if your slide is cut with a "pocket" set up. Be sure you only hit the base and not the tang to prevent damage to the hinge Good luck.

·
Premium Member
7,037 Posts
I would bet the STI unit is made by Kensight and just branded STI. You could measure the STI sight dovetail for comparison. If the new base dovetail is a tad wider, place a large mill or bastard file flat on a bench surface and draw the new sights base or dovetail flat along the file. Do this til the sight starts to fit in the slide dovetail. I like to get a sight to hand fit the dovetail maybe 1/3 rd the way, then with a leather or rubber mallet hit it home. On that style sight be sure, one ,that the set screw and windage screw are out. Two ,that the leaf tang is up and out of the way if your slide is cut with a "pocket" set up. Be sure you only hit the base and not the tang to prevent damage to the hinge Good luck.
I don't understand how removing material from the sight dovetail bottom,
will assist this fit?

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Really? Think about a triangle. As you go up from the bottom, the two other sides get closer together.
That only works when the sight dovetail is deeper than the slide dovetail and there is gap between the bottom of the sight and the top of the slide. Removing material from the bottom of the sight MIGHT bring that top gap down and the sight may fit but what do you do if the sight dovetail and slide dove tail are the same depth or size? All you're doing is adding gap between the bottom of the sight dovetail and slide dovetail and the sight still won't fit.

The generally accepted way to fit a sight to a slide is to file material from the sides of a sight dovetail.

Filing from the bottom works ok when the sight doesn't have flat parts like a Novak or Bomar does. You have those flats to factor in to your "triangle" too. Filing from the bottom works when you have a GI rear sight but you are also lowering point of impact at the same time.

Basically, it can work with some sights but it isn't the best method of fitting sights.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts