1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to put a nice polish on my barrel crown and since nothing with 1911s ever seems to be as simple as one may initially think I thought it best to get some feedback.

How would one go about getting this nice and shiny?

Thanks!

·
Banned
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I polish mine while they are still in the lathe with 400 then 600 or higher paper then Flitz on a cloth if needed.

First you gotta get rid of those tool marks or else you'll see them worse with Flitz. That's where the paper comes in.
I've got the paper, any issue with doing it by hand besides taking awhile?

·
Registered
702 Posts
The "bore" could use a little TLC too........ :)

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Just use Simichrome on a patch. With very little effort it'll be mirror perfect without a chance of getting any valleys or rounding the edges.

·
Premium Member
7,037 Posts
Just use Simichrome on a patch. With very little effort it'll be mirror perfect without a chance of getting any valleys or rounding the edges.
Ha!.
Similar to using Flitz on a q-tip to smooth a mainspring housing bore.
:rolleyes:

If this offends anyone, complain to the management.
Bad info is bad info, period.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Ha!.
Similar to using Flitz on a q-tip to smooth a mainspring housing bore.
:rolleyes:

If this offends anyone, complain to the management.
Bad info is bad info, period.
Im not going to get into a p--ing match, and this is my last comment on the thread - but we must be seeing different things in the pic. I don't see tool marks. What I see is a polished crown that the OP wants to bring to a higher shine. Flitz or Simichrome would accomplish that - it has for me in many similar situations.

I wasn't referencing a mainspring housing bore - and with regard to the put down - I'm sure you could have come up with a better way to state you position.

·
Banned
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A carefully taken (not pointed at me) photo with the flash to try and show imperfections better. It's a cellphone picture but you can zoom in. I've got the rings of Saturn on there!

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
Im not going to get into a p--ing match, and this is my last comment on the thread - but we must be seeing different things in the pic. I don't see tool marks.......
May be best to get new glasses and figure out with whom you are arguing. Tool marks are clearly visible. The only proper way to clean this up is in a lathe.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Wow! Anyhow, can I hijack your thread for just one question, Bushido? It's in relation to barrel crowns, so it might be of interest to you too. A question to the experts: can you do a crown in about 3 minutes? I took my barrel to a very large and reputable smithing multiplex, really the only one in my state of note, and I had them crown my barrel. I'm a moron, but I know when something is beyond my equip-age, and possibly my skill, to do. $20, and out the door in 3 minutes flat. Now, I know that I'm likely to take much more time, I'm guessing at least an hour from what I've seen of the process, measuring and re-measuring in preparation for the cut, than a production shop, because I'm not a production shop,but 3 minutes? It does look good to the naked eye, and I don't see any chatter. I'm just wondering if it's even possible for an expert to set up and cut properly in that time.

·
Registered
405 Posts
"Cheap, fast, good........pick any two"
Rogers Precision
As I suspected. I would have gladly paid much more for a proper job. I did have the presence of mind to chop the barrel just a hair in front of the threads, leaving me some meat in case this wasn't done properly. Anyhow, thanks, Bushido. Incidentally, I've just GOT to ask; is that your likeness, with the hair and all? That is an awesome 'fro!

·
Banned
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As I suspected. I would have gladly paid much more for a proper job. I did have the presence of mind to chop the barrel just a hair in front of the threads, leaving me some meat in case this wasn't done properly. Anyhow, thanks, Bushido. Incidentally, I've just GOT to ask; is that your likeness, with the hair and all? That is an awesome 'fro!
Haha! No, I'm actually just some white dude who found the character Bushido Brown to be funny. :)

Most usernames I come up with are based on what I happen to be watching or items I notice around me at the moment I'm trying to think up a name. On a legal forum I'm Sideshow Bob as I happen to be watching a Simpsons episode at that time.

Now that you mention it though, I do seem to pick characters with big hair!

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Wow! Anyhow, can I hijack your thread for just one question, Bushido? It's in relation to barrel crowns, so it might be of interest to you too. A question to the experts: can you do a crown in about 3 minutes? I took my barrel to a very large and reputable smithing multiplex, really the only one in my state of note, and I had them crown my barrel. I'm a moron, but I know when something is beyond my equip-age, and possibly my skill, to do. $20, and out the door in 3 minutes flat. Now, I know that I'm likely to take much more time, I'm guessing at least an hour from what I've seen of the process, measuring and re-measuring in preparation for the cut, than a production shop, because I'm not a production shop,but 3 minutes? It does look good to the naked eye, and I don't see any chatter. I'm just wondering if it's even possible for an expert to set up and cut properly in that time.
Can a crown be cut in three minutes or less? Yes but it depends on what type of crown you are talking about. If you just want to clean up an existing crown on a factory barrel with a piloted hand tool, yes it can be done easily and the barrel will shoot pretty good. If you want to flush cut, deep crown and polish it so there are no tool marks, the answer is no.

When I was sighting in guns at CCS I would often clean up the crown on Marine guns and SCG's with a piloted crowning tool with great success but any flush cut deep crowns were done on a lathe.

You don't always have to pick 2. Sometimes you can get all 3, though not very often :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts