1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My recent purchase of a NRM 1991 has resulted in a dilemma: I like it so much I really want to carry it. I have only had one other blue/black finish gun, a Kimber, and the matte finish practically fell off when you looked at it sideways. Other than that, all of my other 1911s have been stainless.

I am concerned about protecting the blued finish of my Colt. I know that in using a gun, function is better than apperance, that it will get dinged up and/or show signs of wear, etc. However, I was wondering if any of you guys take any extra steps to protect your blued guns such as adding an additional finish over the bluing, like teflon or black hard chrome, or anything like that. Just curious.

·
Administrator
73,785 Posts
If you "add" anything you'll just ruin the bluing! I once thought Pachmayr grips would at least save the front strap, until I learned how moisture from your warm hands gets trapped under them. About all you can do is oil the exterior of the pistol regularly, and/or protect the steel with automotive wax (just don't use the mildly abrasive kind). If you handle a blued firearm long enough the finish will wear.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Yeah, when they say "car wax" what they mean is something like Meguiars #26 Carnauba wax. The #26 is just wax, it has no abrasives.

Of course the gun has to be degreased first or the wax won't stick.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Like DSK said, it will show wear if you use it. Used to bother me, but the wear grows on you. When you start to remember where this mark came from and this scratch came from you are one with the pistol. Use not abuse and oil the outside often. About the best you can do other then coat in Cosmoline and leave in the safe.

Stacey

·
Banned
4,130 Posts
Blued Colt 1911's are my faves, although I have stainless and hard chrome as well. I use to think the blued needed to look flawless, and I don't carry my blue guns (so far anyway). But the blued 1911's I've seen pics of that do show wear do look really nice to me, actually. I'd say carry that puppy and get a little wear on it. What's the worst that can happen??? A little finish wear? Sheesh. Buy another one for the safe. ;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info guys. That is about what I thought. I guess I will just use my Colt as I see fit, take proper care of it, and not worry about it.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
tvolk01 said:
My recent purchase of a NRM 1991 has resulted in a dilemma: I like it so much I really want to carry it. I have only had one other blue/black finish gun, a Kimber, and the matte finish practically fell off when you looked at it sideways.
I wouldn't use your Kimber as an example of "blued" finish...I had a Kimber Custom Classic years ago and the finish wore off the gun so fast that after a few range sessions, I had the gun hardchromed to protect the bare metal (Kimber was no help in refinishing and later admitted that the finish was not durable).....the matte finish on the Kimbers has been referred to as "Kimber Krap".

I think you'll find things considerable better with the NRM Colts. I've got a blued Govt model and have used it in a few IDPA/IPSC matches and while it shows some wear on the edges from drawing from leather (don't even think about using one of those Kydex plastic holsters)...the finish still looks really nice!

Clearly stainless is going to be the prefered way to go if you're concerned about wear...but if you like blued guns (and I do)....the blued NRM's are really nice and wear well.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually, I just reviewed a post over in the General Gun Discussion about people who like the worn blue look. With the pics posted there, I am actually looking forward to putting some wear on the gun now.

·
Registered
55 Posts
This is actually a good reason to buy a matched set :D I loved my first blued NRM so much, but didn't want to subject it to holster wear that I was going to go out and buy a stainless one also to carry, but after some thought, and the decision that I really didn't like SS, I decided to just get a second blued NRM, one to keep as a range gun, and one as a carry gun that I didn't mind getting beat up... I know, I know, I have a sickness.
Dan

·
Banned
4,130 Posts
groovy.... yes, but it's a nice sickness. And you're in good company, many of us suffer from it! :biglaugh:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts