1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is it to disable the magazine disconnect on my newly aquired hi power? Do I have to detail strip the gun to do this or remove the trigger assembely? If so what tools do I need to do this? Any links to any web pages on how to do this would help or if anyone here can reply that would be great to thanks

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Its easy, and it will take you 5 minutes till a great trigger pull. good luck!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Why?

I have a Belgian BHP. I stoned the face of the mag. disconnect, and the bearing surface on my mags ('bout two dozen of 'em.), and worked moly grease into the surfaces. Now, my trigger pull is equal to many without the magazine disconnector, and I can count on it just like Jack Ryan did in Patriot Games. ;)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Difficulty removing the mag disconnect

I purchased a new BHP in .40 S&W yesterday. There were two things I intended to do immediately.
1) bob the hammer spur
2) remove the magazine disconnect.

It took a lot of courage to take the dremel tool to my brand-spanking-new unfired pistol, but I did it. It actually turned out well. I will apply some cold blue and a few months down the road take it to a pistolsmith to get the hammer and sear replaced entirely.

Next, I took a brass punch and went after the trigger pin. The text says "Remove trigger pin from right (tapered side) to left (flat side.)" On mine, the left side is flat, and the right is more like a bulb - raised and rounded. Whack! Whack! - no movement whatsoever. What am I doing wrong? Is it just that tight? ...or do I have to make sure something else is released?

The slide was removed at the time, so the hammer was cocked.

This is the polished blue finish, which I like, and I really want to avoid marring it.

Thanks,
Brian T. C.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Here is what I am talking about.

This is the left side:

...and here is the right side I am hitting with the punch:

Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
BTC

·
Banned
537 Posts
TGR,
Put 2 or 3 stips of heavy tape over the pin. That way you won't mar the finish. Y ou will probably need a steel punch and use some pretty heavy strokes ot move the pin initially. Also, be sure and put some strips of tape on the inside of the trigger gaurd. You will have to manuever the trigger to get it out and the mag safety can scratch the trigger gaurd.

·
Registered
480 Posts
TexasGunRunner
5 minutes mt a**! I had the same problem knocking out that tiny roll pin. I had to make a support to go underneath the trigger and then really wham the punch to get things to move. I guess it helps if your gun isn't new and shiny like ours. I was TRYING to be gentle.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Re: Why?

Pampers said:
I can count on it just like Jack Ryan did in Patriot Games. ;)

There was a hipower in Patriot games?

the only handgun I remember seeing,was I think a VP70 the Ryan used to kill dudes brother, I think. Tell me more!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
oldstyle said:
TexasGunRunner
5 minutes mt a**! I had the same problem knocking out that tiny roll pin. I had to make a support to go underneath the trigger and then really wham the punch to get things to move. I guess it helps if your gun isn't new and shiny like ours. I was TRYING to be gentle.
Ditto...I was trying to be gentle; I had already given myself a minor stroke with the dremel tool on the hammer. Good, so I am not the only one.

I will use the tape idea from GPO1956, and will probably rig some support for the trigger like you suggested.

After firing it today, I want to get rid of that "safety" more than anything now. I hate it...and what is worse is the thought I could be damaging other components if I pull the trigger too hard while it is engaged. It is those tiny little breakable parts that will fail at the worst moment. This pistol needs to function correctly, at all times, and in the same manner as my 1911's - it is soooooo gone!!!!

I think I will burn the pieces in effigy when I am done...or at least smash them.

I had a similar device on a S&W4013...I sold that pistol because of it.

Thanks,
BTC

·
Registered
622 Posts
Oh Ja. You bet' cha!

There was a hipower in Patriot games?

Yes, when Jack Ryan was struggling with the IRA Terrorist aboard the Boat in the Bay, he managed to press the Mag Release as his High Power was being wrested from his Grasp. With no Mag, the Terrorist was unable to shoot him with his own Gun.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Pampers, you are talking about the book, right? Just started it, myself.

As a fun little sidenote, Jack Ryan also uses a HP in The Hunt for Red October.

Yes, taking that trigger pin out is a real bugger. I never did get the pin out of my Browning -- I figure I'll just leave it in until I take it to get a trigger job... hopefully, next summer.

Good luck with it. It really isn't as easy as it sounds sometimes.

Wes

·
Registered
622 Posts
Ja, da Book!

You don't really expect Hollywierd to show that there might actually be something good about a gun, do you?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
It would be really hard to explain to the audiance if they did that during the movie. The book's are always better

·
Registered
334 Posts
IMHO, it is far easier to drive out the little pin in the trigger than the trigger pivot pin itself. I had to WHALE THE HELL out of mine to get it out, (no damage, whew!; supported it on a lead block with a hole under the pin); however, the pin IN the trigger came out easily. If I had it to do over, I would carefully support the trigger and try to drift out the little pin that holds the mag safety. If it comes out easily, the parts will fall into the mag well and the mag safety will be history.
If you find you really have to drive the pin in the trigger out, then you would be better served to take the trigger out first.
Moon

·
Registered
427 Posts
halfmoonclip said:
If I had it to do over, I would carefully support the trigger and try to drift out the little pin that holds the mag safety. If it comes out easily, the parts will fall into the mag well and the mag safety will be history.
That's the pin that is on the rear of the trigger and visible when the gun is still assembled, right, like the photo above?

I just ordered an Arcus and wanted to have a clue what I was knocking out in advance before I started punching things out.

·
Registered
334 Posts
rf- you are correct; the flush fitting pin in the web of the trigger, behind the trigger itself, it nearly disappears when the trigger is pulled.
Can't speak for how all that may work on Browning clones; it did come out easily in mine, and it appeared there was no WRONG way to take it out (r-l), but it had been peened with a center punch to help keep it in place.
IMHO, if you take out the pin to remove the mag safety, LEAVE IT OUT; the knowledgeable will realize the mag safety has been removed. Some folks replace the pin for esthetic purposes.
Save the parts; you should put them back in before selling the gun, or at least pass them along to the new owner.
Remember, you want to cobble up some sort of support for the trigger before you start tapping on the pin; you could bend the trigger if you get carried away.
Moon

1 - 19 of 19 Posts