1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to bolt/anchor my safe to the floor. It is sitting on concrete. I have drilled into concrete and brick in the past (previous job) BUT I was using a hammer drill and had access to unlimited amount of drill bits. I never used a regular drill to do this.

I bought some tapcon screws/bolts and a concrete/masonry drill bit. All I want to do is secure it with two bolts (one at the back corner and one on the opposite front corner).

I some advice on another forum but it seemed that many of the answers were not what I wanted to hear. Most of them recommended renting or buying a commercial hammer drill.

Will I be able to do what I want to do with my 18v Ryobi cordless drill?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I would think so.If your safe is predrilled,just mark it and drill.May take awhile.

·
Registered
7,484 Posts
That will most likely be a big job for a cordless drill, but it doesn't hurt to try. A regular corded 1/2" drill should work fine if you can borrow one. How big are the anchors?
L.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Are you trying to bolt it down so someone can't steal it or just to keep it in place ? A couple of tapcons might hold it in place, but not well enough to prevent someone from taking it. When using a non-hammer drill with a masonry bit the bit seems to just heat up long before you get a couple holes drilled.Tapcons also drive much better with a hammer drill.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you trying to bolt it down so someone can't steal it or just to keep it in place ? A couple of tapcons might hold it in place, but not well enough to prevent someone from taking it. When using a non-hammer drill with a masonry bit the bit seems to just heat up long before you get a couple holes drilled.Tapcons also drive much better with a hammer drill.
You are probably right but I figured that it would be a pain in the butt for the average thief to rip the safe out. The weight of the safe plus having some tapcon screws I think would be good enough for me.

·
Registered
7,484 Posts
If there is a wall behind it use that will be enough to secure it.
Any remotely serious thief will just cut your wall apart.
L.

·
Registered
55 Posts
An sds rotary hammer will make short work of concrete for anchors. I've fooled around with hammer drills before and took forever. Buy, borrow or rent one, you'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
The most secure method of bolting a safe in the basement is to bolt it to the floor and a concrete wall.
The bolts in the wall prevent rocking the safe to pull the bolts out of the floor or even to pull them out of the safe floor.

The perfect method is to position the safe in a corner and put bolts through the floor and both walls.

Do yourself a favor, rent a hammer drill.
When using it wear ear protection. A lot of construction people used to complain about how tired they were after using loud power equipment in a basement.
Turns out that loud noises can make you physically tired.

·
Registered
7,484 Posts
Turns out that loud noises can make you physically tired.

And cause permanent hearing loss.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I didn't have a hammer drill when I was installing my safe. I used my 3/8" air drill (have a 60 gal air compressor). It took a little bit of time and a bit designed for concrete ($10 at home depot). If you are using an electric drill, you are going to need a 1/2" plug in model. I don't see it happening with a cordless. I drilled for a minute, then used a vacuum to suck out the dust, then drilled again. Probably took me less than 30 minutes for 4 bolts.

·
Registered
284 Posts
your ryobi will not get the job done, you need a hammer drill equipped with a carbide tipped drill bit. you do not need a heavy duty, industrial hammer drill but you do need the hammer action to break up the concrete(you don't really drill concrete, it's more like controlled precision chipping.) any 3/8" to 1/2" chuck hammer drill should handle the job easily and can be rented rather cheaply. i personally would just buy one though, you can get a dewalt 3/8" for around $100

·
Registered
99 Posts
i have to mount equipment to concrete, brick, and rock walls almost on a daily basis, trust me your just going to burn up bits with a regular drill. you need a hammer drill to put the size bolts in that will help stop a thief. also like another post said, leave no room to rock the safe, bolt to a wall too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
when drill concrete I use a masonry bit, 1/2 electric drill and cool and flush with water. The water really does make a difference in the cutting action and makes a nice mess. I control with a barrier of towels to keep it contained.

·
Registered
7,484 Posts
Sorry. I live in the northern states. If we have a concrete floor, it is in a basement and there are concrete walls supporting the floors above.
Sorry, I didn't even consider that. I was thinking of wood frame construction and sheetrock.
L.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Maybe you guys dont have enough stuff in your safes ;p I store all my ammo in mine too. The safe weighs 800lbs empty. Not something you can easily rock when bolted to the floor!

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
That will most likely be a big job for a cordless drill, but it doesn't hurt to try. A regular corded 1/2" drill should work fine if you can borrow one. How big are the anchors?
L.
I agree with this. Cordless just don't have the power to last long enough.

We used to drill for anchoring racks etc. in commercial building floors and just used a new masonry bit and a big a$$ corded 1/2" drill. You may feel it the next day, but it'll work.

I like the idea of flush and cool too, although I've never done it. Should keep some of the dust down as well. Nasty stuff to breath.......

1 - 20 of 30 Posts