1911Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I've got a nice new RIA 1911. I live in a basement in Illinois. So it's not SUPER humid, but I want to make sure I am taking good care of my new gun. Right now I have it in it's plastic case with a the foam interior, and some big packs of silica gel under the foam on the tops and bottoms. Anything else I should do or change? Tell me everything. What I should spray on it, how much depending on how frequently I will be using it etc. Also it came with a cable lock. I would think it wouldn't be great for the gun to keep the slide and hammer back all the time it's in storage though, so I am planning on just having a locking case instead, unless you guys tell me other wise. Thanks for any help and input fellows.

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
Well, in my gun safes I have several silica gel bags that I dry out when they get too damp. I have stored some pistols in a .50 ammo can by placing them in white cotton socks and spraying the socks with G-66 gun treatment. I think I bought some "chips" that are supposed to keep things dry from Midway. I know I have the chips but just can't remember where I got them. Anyway, a bunch of them went into the ammo can too.

For keeping things dry, USGI ammo cans can't be beat, since they were designed to keep ammo dry. A handfull of the small silica gel packets that come with electronic equipment tossed in the can with the pistol(s) will dry the air and keep things nicely rust free. (Camera shops normally have a drawer full of them and you may be able to get a supply for free.)

RE: the cable lock. Are you required to keep the pistol locked up with some type of device such as the cable lock or a trigger lock? If not, why do so, unless there are small childen around that have not been trained not to touch a firearm.

·
Administrator
13,406 Posts
All good ideas , but are you having trouble with anything rusting in the basement ? If no , then you shouldn't have too much trouble now .

I was raised using a Rig Rag treated protective sheep skin rag . Wipe the pistol every time you pack it away . Rig won't let you down . Our family has used Rig since the 1950's and we always use them in our gun store . 6 or 8 are scattered down the gun rack .
http://www.silencio.com/htfiles/accessories.html

No , I don't work for Silencio ;)

The Sack Up's silicone treated gun socks are good too . http://www.sackups.com/

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
RIG good, foam bad

First off, and I'm surprised nobody mentioned it already, is to take it out of the foam lined case. The foam will hold moisture and is in contact with your pistol. The dessicant bags are a good idea and so is a locking case. Take out the foam that comes with your new case and put in some non-absorbant rubber for padding. For long term storage (more than a week) a coat of grease will keep things lubed up and protected, just clean off the excess before shooting. For short term, a heavier than normal wipe down with oil should be sufficient. In humid environments, I also would discourage storing ammo loaded into mags. The two metals (steel and brass) with moisture are a recipe for something called dissimmilar metal corrosion. Fancy term for speeding up the rust. In a damp place, all the stuff that causes rust works faster. Acidic moisture from your hands, two different metals in contact, fouling from not being cleaned and plain old oxidization (normal rust-metal reacting with the atmosphere). Pretty much, just keep it clean and protect it with grease and oil. When in doubt, grease it. You can always wipe it off.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This's an interesting topic for me, since I live in Houston (for those not in the know, the 4th largest city in the nation was built A) below sea level and B) on top of bayou's and swamps). I currently have a stainless revolver I keep holstered. Will different metal corrosion effect the wheel gun? Also, will keeping it holstered, instead of in a rubber padded silica line case, present issues?

Also, what would be the best finish for humid environments? Stainless I assume, but after that? I've been considering buying an 'OD green' finished SA .45, but would it be better to get it parkerized, or blued, instead?

·
Registered
786 Posts
As has been pointed out, avoid storing your gun against anything that will hold moisture... foam, padded gun rugs, leather, etc. I like to keep my pistols in their cases and rugs, but get around the moisture problem by cutting a sheet of acetate (like those clear report covers) to fit the case and putting it in between the gun and the padding. I leave the case open so that any moisture can escape. Then, when I'm ready to go out to the range, I just slip the acetate out and close the case. I also go through a lot of BreakFree. I clean my guns with it, lubricate them with it, and wipe them down with it to protect against rust.
I don't use gun locks. Most of my guns are kept unloaded in my little room down in my basement, and it's ALWAYS locked. The only loaded gun in the house is in a push button gun safe under the bed. I figure if you need the gun fast, a gun lock is impractical. If you don't need the gun fast, it should be locked away unloaded. When you have a gun, you take on a responsibility. Assume that some annoying, intrusive, brat kid will visit sometime, and get into things.
Marty

·
Banned
1,678 Posts
My Kimber stays in the car most of the time. I whipe it down with a nice coat of oil once a week. It's worked so far.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'll 2nd the Rig Rag, I wipe all of my guns down with it and no problems so far. And a small tin of Rig Rag grease will last a long time. I think I paid about $7.50 for the rag and about $3.50 for the tin of grease. But I do keep moisture absorbers in my safe also. :D

·
Registered
280 Posts
For long-term storage a light coat of oil and a zip-loc freezer bag work in a pinch.

·
Administrator
13,406 Posts
pourshot said:
Is there a source for bags that could accomodate my long guns as well?
Or for that matter, my 10" barreled revolver?
www.sackups.com
These aren't zip loc plastic bags , but they are excellent for strorage in your house/safe . They are silicone treated for rust prevention and also prevent dings/dents .

·
Registered
197 Posts
Simple solution....

Rig and plain ole wax paper. It works as I've stored pistols for years like this. You don't need anything fancy or complicated. Rig works and has worked for a lot of folks for many years. You can put the pistols in whatever you want (short of water) as long as it's coated in Rig and wrapped in the wax paper it won't rust. Don't use plain silicone or any of the other stuff as none of it is as good as Rig.....

·
Registered
786 Posts
seldon14 said:
What if I put the foam from the case in ziplock bags to keep it from being in contact with the gun, and then kept the gun in one of the sacks. Think that would be adequate?
Sounds like it should work... it would accomplish pretty much what I mentioned with a sheet of acetate. Still, I'd probably give your gun a coating of one of the protective products... a number of which have been mentioned in this thread. Even when the gun is against a "safe" surface, it pays to be just a little careful. What happens is that a small amount of moisture can condense on the cool metal, and be absorbed by a padded surface. Even if the surface is plastic or wood, the gun could conceivably wind up laying in a small bit of moisture.
Marty

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.