1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a country where you cant carry (concealed or open) your firearm unless you’re a member of public security agencies, military or politician, i recently got a license to possession of a firearm, only to keep it at home or take it to a gun range (in that case i can conceal carry it). I acquired a brand new Taurus PT1911 .45, my question is, to store it in my safe, when i’m not home, should i unload it, or keep ir cock’n locked in my safe? It wont wear down the springs in the hammer?

·
Registered
716 Posts
For many, many years I have kept "cocked and locked" 1911's in a safe, hidden in the house, in the car or truck, etc. There is no problem for the springs with keeping it that way. The only spring that I routinely change is the recoil spring every 2000-2500 rounds. I don't have any experience with the new flat wire recoil springs such as Wilson Combat sells--supposedly they last 4 or 5 times as long or longer than do conventional round wire springs.

You didn't say what country you live in, but I am a little curious about the fact that you can carry concealed going to and from the gun range but can't carry concealed or open at any other time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For many, many years I have kept "cocked and locked" 1911's in a safe, hidden in the house, in the car or truck, etc. There is no problem for the springs with keeping it that way. The only spring that I routinely change is the recoil spring every 2000-2500 rounds. I don't have any experience with the new flat wire recoil springs such as Wilson Combat sells--supposedly they last 4 or 5 times as long or longer than do conventional round wire springs.

You didn't say what country you live in, but I am a little curious about the fact that you can carry concealed going to and from the gun range but can't carry concealed or open at any other time.
thank you brother, i'll keep it stored with the hammer cocked then, i noticed a lot of wear in my ammunition from unloading and loading my pistol daily, my 1911 from Taurus come with flat wire recoil, ill be keeping an eye on it as well.
I live in Brazil, we have very strict gun laws here, i actually have a permit from the Army to posses e transport my firearm to a shooting range, here you can only own a gun after a very expensive 3 month permit process psychological and legal background check, either trough the army firearms administration or the Federal police, the difference being that getting the permit trough the army, you're considered a registered sportive shooter, being able to have a bigger variety of guns (except automatics nad "WMD's" like 50. cal) and even travelling abroud with your firearm to participate in shooting competitions, the permit trough the Federal police you can only keep your firearm at home. With the army permit, when you're concealed carrying your firearm you're limited to the Route of your house to the shooting range, let's say my house is A and the shooting range is B and C is a pharmacy, and the police stopped me going towards C while conceal carrying my pistol, i would be apprehended and taken to the police station and could be processed for unlawful carrying of a firearm (the police in Brazil has a lawful stop and frisk policy).

·
Registered
12,321 Posts
Welcome to the forum Chernobil_45! I salute your desire to engage in the responsibilities of firearm ownership, especially given the hoops you have to jump through and the associated restrictions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Welcome to the forum Chernobil_45! I salute your desire to engage in the responsibilities of firearm ownership, especially given the hoops you have to jump through and the associated restrictions.
thanks brother! its clear the government want's us to give up on owning firearms, i bought my 1911 on december 2020, only got to bring it home last week and the firearms prices are almost 70% taxes, like if i bought a Glock g18 i would pay 2.500 U$ considering our minimum wage converted to dollars is 235 u$ a month, not to mention ammunition where is almost 2 dollars a bullet (national industry). We strive to garantee our right to self defense, but for me, owning a firearm goes beyond self defense, its about freedom. and for that, i salute you brother, i really admire the U.S when it comes to the right to own and bear arms. Keep it strong!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts