1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, do people make fake or knock off STI pistols?
I posted another thread about an STI 1911 Guardian with a bobtail grip.
Cannot find anything indicating STI ever made a Guardian with a bobtail.

Next, it appears to have the Georgetown TX markings on the frame, but that looks like it was stamped on top of other markings. I can barely make out South Korea in the pictures.

And last, the slide is blued. Every picture I can find of a 1911 Guardian, it has a polished stainless slide.

I can't get to the shop until Tuesday to take another ( closer ) look at it. Is there anything that might be obvious that would verify it is actually an STI, or not?

If it's real, I think the price is okay. But if it's not real, I'd be getting burned.

Thanks,
Tuckerdog1

Attachments

·
Registered
8,275 Posts
1911 STI knockoff pistol

It would probably be best to call STI and discuss the pistol.....if the serial numbers on the frame are legible, they may be able to verify the gun.

I make STI 2011 pistols for my own use, and have made several using a company out of San Diego called L-10 Machine. I ordered their 100% completed steel receivers, and had the receiver sent to a local gun shop where I paid a transfer fee. The ones I ordered are very good quality receivers.....

So, my STI 2011 guns are knock-offs, but they are for my own use. I am a DIY gunsmith, and by building the guns, I saved a substantial amount of money compared to paying full retail. Since I am retired, I don't count the time I spent making the gun, since to me, this is a hobby that I enjoy! :rock:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why do the simple solutions seem to escape me sometimes. I'll call call STI once I get the serial number Tuesday.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
learned something new, but for me the stamping is ugly

·
Premium Member
3,784 Posts
I believe it to be a later Guardian from STI. The frames were stamped STI Georgetown for a long time, but in the last few years before they discontinued their traditional 1911 lineup, they were using imported cast frames from Dasan of S. Korea, in a cost-cutting move.

The bobtail may have been done by the previous owner.

I'm about 97% sure it's a factory gun.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I believe it to be a later Guardian from STI. The frames were stamped STI Georgetown for a long time, but in the last few years before they discontinued their traditional 1911 lineup, they were using imported cast frames from Dasan of S. Korea, in a cost-cutting move.

The bobtail may have been done by the previous owner.

I'm about 97% sure it's a factory gun.

^^^This here.

It’s definitely a factory gun but the bobtail and bluing was most likely done by previous owner. That doesn’t deter from the gun, lower it’s value or void the warranty.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, got the SN and called STI. Interesting info. This was one of about 50 made called the Black Guardian. Everything is as it left the factory, even the bobbed grip. This particular pistol was bought new by an employee of STI. You could tell by the tone of the guy's voice, he was very surprised this was out there for sale. He even asked me where I was finding it for sale. So, since it is legit, and I'll probably never see another one for sale, I ran right down & bought it. Yay!

Tuckerdog1

·
Registered
152 Posts
single or double stack

I can't tell from the pics. Which is it.

Thanks, TR

·
Registered
152 Posts
All the ones I've seen are double stacks.....

TR

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Single stack 1911. They do ( or maybe did ) make a double stack 2011 ( also called Guardian). Pretty sure that one can/could be had with a blued slide.
I think the Guardians were stainless slides only. Th VIP which is the same gun but the model before could be had with a black/blued slide.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I think the Guardians were stainless slides only. Th VIP which is the same gun but the model before could be had with a black/blued slide.
I think not perhaps? On the other site BPP had a Guardian for sale with the entire gun in DLC black coating. It had a protector package?

PS. I should have bought it, freaking great gun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There is a thread at another forum dated back to May 2017 that discusses STI possibly outsourcing to Korea, specifically a frame that was rollmarked "Dansan Machinery, South Korea" which looks similar to what you posted.

Good, bad, no idea, but it appears this is not something recent anyway.

[Edit] NM, looks like I was a day late and a dollar short. Congrats!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Every 1911 STI was built in Georgetown, TX except the Spartan.

·
Registered
8,275 Posts
STI single stack 1911 Black Guardian......

Glad to hear you found and purchased the gun. I would contact STI via a letter to their customer service dept., and ask for a "verification letter" or letter of provenance to prove the authenticity of your gun. If there were only 50 pistols made of the STI single stack 1911 Black Guardian, it may have significant value to an STI collector should you ever decide to sell the gun. Having proper provenance from STI is best to get the optimal selling price on a limited production run pistol......:rock:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Glad to hear you found and purchased the gun. I would contact STI via a letter to their customer service dept., and ask for a "verification letter" or letter of provenance to prove the authenticity of your gun. If there were only 50 pistols made of the STI single stack 1911 Black Guardian, it may have significant value to an STI collector should you ever decide to sell the gun. Having proper provenance from STI is best to get the optimal selling price on a limited production run pistol......:rock:
Actually, I am in contact with the good folks at STI, trying to get something done along those lines.

Thanks,
Tuckerdog1

1 - 20 of 20 Posts