1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm of the opinion that our problem in the country isn't gun control, it's education.

And, as with anything in politics, there have to be compromises.

If we got rid of all of these "bad gun" laws like Cali, jersey, etc, all the CCW laws, and all the magazine laws, etc. And had to prove standardized education in order to own or even shoot a gun, would you do it?

My proposal would be a 32 hour NRA regulated class for firearms safety, as well as going through the basic functions of firearms, as well as marksmanship training, basic concealed carry education, introduction to hunting, etc.

Then, you would receive a certification. No need for a federal watchdog list, just present your certification card when buying a firearm, or when going to the range.

If you have a hunters education card, it's the same thing.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,893 Posts
Many do not want to learn about hunting - not 2A issue. 32 hours is a long time for people with jobs. Also, we take a test and drive a "lethal weapon" - some with no training. Who decides what the training will be - the NRA or the government? Is their a test - if yes who writes it and who identifies test criteria.

2A is not hard to understand unless you can't read and interpret the written word. Seems many educated people either can't read or think they are above the rest of us.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Standardized Education is a large part of the problem. Our educational system is failing today's kids (our future leaders) because it expects them to all learn the same way and pass the same test.

I learned to pull a trigger sitting on my grandfather's knee, but I learned to shoot at Camp taught by a qualified instructor based on the NRA Marksmanship program. The instructor focused heavily on safety, function of the guns, how to shoot properly - long before actually chambering a round.

This wasn't done in one short class, it was over a couple of weeks each summer while I was at camp.

While everyone may not have that opportunity, it certainly has provided a solid foundation for me.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sure, let's do this! That way you can require some physics (ballistics), chemistry (powders and primers), medical training (first aid), environmental concerns (noise, soil and air pollution), plus all the legal stuff, hell, you could even throw in some insurance regulations. It wouldn't be too hard to include so much into the "Required Training" that nobody could pass it. Think about it, has any Government regulation not turned into thousands of pages of rules and requirements?:barf:
Things like this play directly into the anti agenda.

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
I've long said that firearms operation and safety should be part of a Personal Responsibility Class that starts in early elementary and revisited and built upon throughout the full course of primary education. Passing the final Personal Responsibility class would be a requirement for graduation.

Not only firearms, but things like taking responsibility for your own actions. Understanding your role in what happens to you, and really important things like, "If you stick a metal butter knife into a toaster to get your stuck toast out and get shocked. IT'S YOUR FAULT YOU IDIOT! NOT the manufacturers."

Such training from an early age would pretty much eliminate anyone buying the accidently shot someone while cleaning his gun excuse because from an early age everyone would have learned just what a lie that is and would already know how to clear a firearm safely.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'm of the opinion that our problem in the country isn't gun control, it's education.

If we got rid of all of these "bad gun" laws like Cali, jersey, etc, all the CCW laws, and all the magazine laws, etc. And had to prove standardized education in order to own or even shoot a gun, would you do it?

My proposal would be a 32 hour NRA regulated class for firearms safety, as well as going through the basic functions of firearms, as well as marksmanship training, basic concealed carry education, introduction to hunting, etc.

Then, you would receive a certification. No need for a federal watchdog list, just present your certification card when buying a firearm, or when going to the range.

Thoughts?
I agree 100% that education is key.
I disagree with your education style.
Where gun safety and safe handling education needs to be is at about the 4th or 5th grade level (or earlier) and continued through high school, like it used to be through clubs etc.
This is not only true for handling guns but for our Constitution also.
These subjects need the same or more emphasis as sex education and tolerance education.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Requiring "education" to exercise an "Inalienable Right" is not a good path to follow. Should we have to pass a required course in comparative religion in prder to exercise our religious freedom?
Proper handling of a firearm is a personal responsibility as is proper judgment of the exercise of free speech.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts

My proposal would be a 32 hour NRA regulated class for firearms safety, as well as going through the basic functions of firearms, as well as marksmanship training, basic concealed carry education, introduction to hunting, etc
Would you like to have a mandatory class before you are allowed to have free speech? Freedom of religion? The right to vote?

If it's a right, it should not be subject to arbitrary and capricious regulations before you can excercise it! That's part of the problem with places like D.C. (Have you seen the hoops you have to jump though to even own a gun in D.C.? And if the politicians think it's still too easy to own a gun, they'll just add more hoops.)

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
The laws in some of the states aren't as a result of irresponsible gun owners... the laws are there because the people putting them in place want to remove arms from society.... not to protect/keep the guns out of the hands of the wrong people.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a slightly different take:

I think marksmanship as an optional part of Physical Education would be a good idea. An optional one, like drivers ed or something. Or maybe just part of the curriculum, like basketball or tennis. This wouldn't be something required for ownership, since 2A is a right, but it would be an easy access course for the younger generation.

Does anyone else get the impression that the media/culture is trying to paint guns as scary and evil? Is it possible that in the near future (20 years) the younger generation will grow up with that impression, that all guns are scary? Just think of what would happen if they tried to implement some sort of shoot courses in school. There would be a huge uproar. Why? Because guns are "evil".

Introducing some sort of marksmanship curriculum to standard education may help alleviate this? The only thing scary about a firearm is when there is a evil person operating it.

·
Premium Member
9,150 Posts

Thoughts?
No. The Second Amendment says nothing about The Right to Keep and Bear arms after a mandatory 32 hour block of instruction. That is just another form of gun control and the anti-gunners would just use it as a stepping stone for more anti-gun legislation. You aren't going to thwart them with bad ideas, you will embolden them. Also without a registry how would they prevent someone without training from owning or shooting a gun?

Why would you think such a measure would be a good thing or keep watchdog groups and anti-gunners at bay. They aren't anti-people-without-firearms-training, they are anti-gun.

·
Registered
98 Posts
obviously CarsGunsBeer are a combination to avoid...

Requiring someone to pass a test to exercise a natural right is WRONG, it is just another regulation.

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
No. The Second Amendment says nothing about The Right to Keep and Bear arms after a mandatory 32 hour block of instruction. That is just another form of gun control and the anti-gunners would just use it as a stepping stone for more anti-gun legislation. You aren't going to thwart them with bad ideas, you will embolden them. Also without a registry how would they prevent someone without training from owning or shooting a gun?

Why would you think such a measure would be a good thing or keep watchdog groups and anti-gunners at bay. They aren't anti-people-without-firearms-training, they are anti-gun.
One would think it would be obvious but ... ^This^ ...

Mkflyfisherman beat you to it, but you are more eloquent. ;)

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
I agree that some education should be required, but 32 hours is too much. NM has a 15 hour requirement, and I think it is about right. Twelve hours might be better if the subjects were selected correctly.
I have always believed that instructions in applicable laws, and safety should be mandatory for CCW.
Jerry

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
Nothing wrong with firearm educating

Compromises ??? After we already have compromised ?? over and over and over.

NO WE ALREADY HAVE COMPROMISED ENOUGH

It`s time for the Libtards to compromise

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
"How would you feel about this:"

Like sticking it up some bureaucrat's arse.

Bob

·
Registered
118 Posts
I can imagine the end of course exam.
After the NRA questions, you could have the Gov. questions:
A 9mm 115 grain hollowpoint bullet traveling at 1130 fps and expanding 60% at that velocity will penetrate how many walls assuming 1/2 in. sheetrock and 2X4 studwall construction? What will be the speed of the bullet between each wall? Must show all work.
A 9mm 115 grain hollowpoint bullet traveling at 1130 fps fired at center mass can be expected to cause how much tissue damage to which organs. Use generally accepted medical terminology.
What would the expected hearing loss be from firing this caliber indoors without hearing protection. Use generally accepted medical terminology.
Give survivability expectations when the trauma unit is 15 minutes away, and emergency personnel arrive within 5 minutes, 10 minutes, and 15 minutes.
List all Federal, State and Local laws, regulations and other Guidelines, by Code, in numerical order, governing firearms and firearm ownership.
You have 10 minutes, you must show all work, you must score 100 to pass.
Are you really sure you want something like this? :grumble:

·
Registered
359 Posts
Gun control isn't about guns, it's about control. Freedom is a messy thing, and while I personally know people who have no business operating anything more complicated than a spoon, "..... the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Rather than mandatory training, I would prefer to see mandatory 5 years for possessing a firearm during the commission of a felony, mandatory 20 years for brandishing a firearm during the commission of a felony, and mandatory life for using a firearm during the commission of a felony.

·
Registered
206 Posts
"Gun control isn't about guns, it's about control. Freedom is a messy thing, and while I personally know people who have no business operating anything more complicated than a spoon, "..... the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Rather than mandatory training, I would prefer to see mandatory 5 years for possessing a firearm during the commission of a felony, mandatory 20 years for brandishing a firearm during the commission of a felony, and mandatory life for using a firearm during the commission of a felony."

This, plus no plea bargain, no reduced sentences, no reduction for time served. If found guilty, this is the punishment-period. Punish the criminal not the law biding citizen.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts