1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I would stay far away from that gun. To the best of my knowledge, you cannot legally own that unless you can some how take off the plating and see if the serial number is still somewhat there but it would not be worth it.

James

·
Registered
882 Posts
With no provenance, I wouldnt give 10 bucks for it.

While serial numbers were not required until GCA 68.. Colt most assuredly used them and defiling them is illegal.

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
so I am assuming that is a lunch box special that seems to be fairly common from back in the teen's and twenty's.
What a load of BS!

Why do you gravitate to a completely ruined pistol at a stunningly ridiculous price, that is also illegal to own?:eek:

·
Premium Member
2,893 Posts
If purchased, whoever buys it, may get a visit from the ATFE.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
If purchased, whoever buys it, may get a visit from the ATFE.
If shown the post(ATFE), the current owner might get a visit!

Bob

·
Banned
11,450 Posts
As has already been advised, run!

I can't see any honest FFL handling a transfer on this. IF it actually is a Colt, it had a SN when it left the factory. Since the SN has been removed/obliterated/covered up, the gun in its current condition is illegal.

Although he has all positive feedback, I'd shy away from this seller as well. Since there are no markings on this gun, he's making a lot of assumptions in his representation. Assuming its a Colt, assuming its C&R eligible. Just trying to sell a gun that SHOULD have an SN without one......

·
Banned
4,947 Posts
You could buy a project gun for a quarter that price and have it done yourself, with a legal serial number, and have less than what they are asking into it.

·
Registered
22,016 Posts
Pity, looks correct and complete except for the scrub job and really quite well done plating. Slide cut looks like about 1913.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
In all fairness, the S/N COULD be hidden under the grip panels, but if you can't confirm a S/N then I wouldn't touch it with a 1000' pole.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Ok so we've gone from a 10' pole to a 100' pole and now to a 1000' pole. Surely there aren't any poles longer than this. They would break in the middle and would be impossible to lift.

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
You can have it transferred to your cell at the federal pen.

·
Registered
8 Posts
To answer a frequently asked question, a dealer buying or selling a non-NFA firearm made before 1968 and without a serial number need only record "Made prior to 1968, no serial number" in the serial number space on his transaction record. Unless there is a state or local requirement, he need not apply a number or obtain a number from the police or BATFE.

Jim

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
To answer a frequently asked question, a dealer buying or selling a non-NFA firearm made before 1968 and without a serial number need only record "Made prior to 1968, no serial number" in the serial number space on his transaction record. Unless there is a state or local requirement, he need not apply a number or obtain a number from the police or BATFE.

Jim
Care to cite that? I know about C&R but 1968 strikes me as a bit too new.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts