1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
It's nice

I like mine a lot. Not as much as my customized Delta Elite, but it's very nice. Shoots pretty accurate out of the box, but needs more break-in time. I've only had 1 range session with it so far. The magazine is a POS, but other than that, it's fine.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Just got mine in and I'm headed out to the range next Friday. So far I've stripped and cleaned it. Nothing bad to say so far. I have heard bad things about the factory mags so I picked up a couple of Mec-Gars and Metalforms(same as factory). I've got about 200 rounds of ammo so far and plan to pick up another couple hundred before I go. I've got my fingers crossed:D

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the info. I'm not a Series II fan, but the Kimber 10mm caught my eye. I've always loved the 10mm and had a few Delta's in the past that I sold and won't pay what they are going for now. It blew me away Kimber had made some and my dealer is holding one as of now for me to pick up tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Hello,

I'm not a series II fan either, but Kimber never got around to making the 9mm and 10mm until after they went thru "the change" so I now own two. :p

Mine has been running just fine. Its only had CCI Blazer 200 FMJ and PMC 170 JHPs run thru it so far, but both fed fine.

I bought some Metalform 8 round mags (identical to the factory issued mag, save for the Kimber logo on the base plate) for it and they have performed flawlessly, as has the factory mag. Capacity is not an issue for me, and I think the 8 round mags are less prone to feed problems, purely subjective of course.

These two pistols are keepers, and they are both going under the screwdriver tomorrow for FPS-ectomies. :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have had mine about a month and a ½ now. Out of about 800 rounds of reloads, a box of Remington UMC, and about ½ a box of Double Tap 165 GS, I’ve only had one FTF, the last out of the mag when my daughter was shooting it with the Remingtons. I love it. Best group with handloads was under 1 ½” @ 25yd.s from a rest. I use the factory mag and a couple of Mec-Gar mags that I picked up for it. It has turned into my daily carry gun and I am using it for deer season this year instead of my S&W 629. I will give you guys a field report when a deer walks close enough to my treestand.:D

Raisin River Ron

·
Premium Member
20,305 Posts
Pick up one of the remaining Series-I .40 Kimbers and do a 10mm conversion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
New Kimber

My new Kimber is great! Slide to frame is super tight. Had a couple jams after about 400 rounds but after I cleaned it it ran great. Definetly worth the money:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wish I could answer your question, but I still have to wait until my sovereign liege decides whether or not to grant me the privelage of owning one (already purchased, just sitting in the shop waiting for NJSP to return my background check. If I'm REALLY lucky I might have it by Christmas). :mad:

I'm just wondering...for those of you that DO own one:
1. Do they have the external extractor? Not a deal, just curious
2. Are there any recommended mods/parts replacements that you would do?
3. Recs on aftermarket sights/mags?

·
Registered
377 Posts

1) Internal extractor

2) -change out MS housing (S&A for mine)
-change grips
-polish ignition parts to smooth out trigger
-change springs to Wolff springs
-change FP stop to EGW
-add recoil buffers of some kind

I'll probably do more to mine, but the above are suggestions

3) Sights are fine, but if you had to change them go Bomar or Novak. My Colt and MecGar mags work fine in mine (same who makes the Colt mags)

·
Registered
195 Posts
No external extractor and those ugly rubber grips are getting tossed as soon as I get the money for a pair of nice wood grips.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Only changes I made were a serated Les Baer main spring housing, shock buff and grips. I'll probably pull it apart in a couple thousand rounds and see how the hammer and sear look, the trigger is good now but could be better down the road.:)

·
Registered
516 Posts
Mine was dead in the box and would not work with the mag provicded. There is another string on this forum about it. Do a search on 10mm. Anyway, it still wouldn't work with the mag even after it was sent back to Kimber and returned to me. I took it upon myself to relieve (shorten) the mag lips and it changed the angle that the bullet left the mag----it now works until the last round. I have purchased a CMC 10m mag and an 8 round metalform to try out this weekend. The mag that came with the gun was a orange follower 9 round metalform look alike. I plan on changing out the plastic mainspring housing with a SS arched one. If the feed problem continues with the new mags---I will have a gunsmith change the angle of the feed ramp on the barrel. Nice looking gun and seems very accurate when it works. Have fun with your new one and let us know how it works....

·
Registered
516 Posts
10mm Magazines

The 10mm Chip McCormick and round follower 8 round Metalform mags worked like a champ!!! Only one failure to feed and I think it was a reload bullet problem. Both of these mags change the angle of how bullet is fed into the chamber. I seems the orange follower---9 round Metalform is the problem.....with my gun at least.... The new mags solved all my problems....

·
Registered
516 Posts
One other downside

Forgot to mention that I lost more than 1/2 of my fired brass... This 10mm Kimber throws the brass so far behind and to the right of me that it went over and through a chain link fence that blocked of a steep water retention area. The range person would not let me go into that area to retrive my fired brass...:( . I had better start looking into buying some 1-fired brass on the net... Any ideas who might have some good 1-fired 10mm brass??

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Condo,

I would suggest a 20lb recoil spring, as I think the 18.5 pound that Kimber ships with them is too light. I think it will also help with your disappearing brass.

BTW,

Mine came from the factory with a Kimber-marked Metalform 8 round mag, with rounded steel follower. I purchased two more Metalforms from Brownells and all three work just fine in my gun.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts