1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I was all set to get a blued colt 1911 to go with my stainless kimber. After months of dizzying thoughts on my next purchase. Thought I made up my mind on Monday, colt 1911 blued commander or full size. Well somehow I ended up rushing down to the closest dealer that would price match a competitors sale ad and plucked down a deposit on .......

still having second thoughts, though. why go with a different caliber (9mm) stick with one caliber. Get the same platform so you can share mags. you already have a full size get a compact. Blah Blah Blah

·
Registered
352 Posts
WHAT ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH WERE YOU THINKING? you could have AT LEAST gotten it in .45. :biglaugh:

j/k. I;ve been looking for a nice 9mm too, since the ammo's so much cheaper. maybe a 9mm 1911.....?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now I'm all confused again, CraigC. I'm going back to the store and cancelling my order :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Don't go back so fast. The USP 9X19 has alot going for it; utterly reliable in the worst conditions, eats any ammo out there, easy to care for, doesn't falter if neglected, excellent out-of-the-box accuracy, and has a long, exhalted history in the spec-ops community. 9mm ammo is pretty darn cheap. It's almost like having a .22 (o.k. ...not quite). And H&K's lifetime warranty makes it fairly attractive.

That being said, the trigger sucks, after-market gadgets are few in number and usually expensive, could do alot better in factory class competitions, it feels... empty is the only word I can think of, and the friggin' strap checkering is REALLY sharp.

For what it is, the USP is a great gun. Of course, I just sold mine to fund another Series 70 purchase :D

YMMV,
S.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Good gun BUT

I did own a USP 9mm and traded for a 1911 in 45. For a good shooter in 9mm don't forget to look at CZ 75's...........

·
Registered
307 Posts
At one point I had two USP .45s - an Expert and a Compact. They were reliable, sure, but I just could not shoot them as well as my 1911s.

So they went bye-bye...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm with CraigC, what got into you??:)

I own some 9mm pistols, but they are P7s. I also own a USP Tactical.

If you want a 9mm consider a P7 or a SIG 228 or 239.

If you want a USP consider a 45 or 40/357 in full size or compact.

A fullsize USP 9mm seems awfully large for a 9mm, but hey that's just my opinion.

Keep your eye on the prize, a blue Colt 1911 (esp a WWI or Series 70) is nicer than all the other guns mentioned (again, just my opinion.

·
Registered
281 Posts
You shouldn't feel too bad. I had a HK full size 40 and regret getting rid of it. I was thinking of getting a full size 9, but decided to get a CZ 75 with 2 hi cap mags for $350. Maybe it's still in my future.

·
Registered
334 Posts
If you have to have a nine, how about a High Power?
Can you get full-capacity mags for the H&K?
That is the main problem with 'civilian' nines; you either have to go compact, or settle for ten rounds.
Sorta like pulling the spark plug wires off two cylinders of your Ferrari.
BTW, factory full cap mags for the HP are plentiful and cheap.
Moon

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have a USP9C and it's totally reliable and very accurate, but the ergonomics are terrible and the trigger sucks. I gather the P2000 is better ergonomically, but it comes only with the LEM trigger, which I don't like. Also HK's customer service is non-existent. I don't understand why they don't get their act together and give US consumers what they want.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have three H&K's, a full size 9mm, a compact 9mm stainless and a 45 tactical.

My favorite gun is the tactical. THe 9mm full size is similar dimensions so it makes for cheap practice, but the tactical can handle anything up through 45 super without modification, it's built like a tank and it has worked every time I've shot it without exception.

I don't have any issues with the H&K trigger and I consistently shoot tight 10 round groups at various distances out to 25 yards.

I'm in a 1911 phase right now (Kimbers and Dan Wessons) but I always return to my good friend H&K.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts