1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By now enough people have had their Kimber Tactical with the aluminum frame, cool finnish and wood grips for a while. Iam curious as how the finish is holding up for members that carry it frequently. For me it's going to be the Tactical or the Eclipse.
All opinions welcome.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I don't have any experience with the Tactical finish, but I've seen a bunch of Ecliples where the finish doesn't hold up well at all. If the finish on the aluminum frame of the Tactical is anything like my CDP, then it's going to be pretty durable.

·
Registered
170 Posts
havent had any problems with the finish on my tactical. Even the frame rails still look good with 800 rounds through it. Still looks like a new gun.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have about 3,000 on my Pro Tactical... aluminum looks like new... this is over the last 4 months, picked it up in June/July, there's more wear showing on the steel bluing

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
The black finish on the Eclipse is not very durable, and wears quickly and easily. It's just a black oxide type finish. Some people who've experienced this wear have had their pistols re-finished in Kim-Pro, which is far more durable. The polished stainless flats may be prone to showing scratches, but if you're careful not to scratch them then they are fine.

·
Banned
575 Posts
I've carried my Pro Tactical daily for almost a year now. The slide bluing is wearing where you would expect, corners that contact the holster (Versa Max II). Grip finish, shiny varnish, has worn off in one place where it rubs against hard objects like chairs and stuff. I've got a few dings in the annodized gray finish at the front of the trigger guard from the sharing the safe with the Gold Combat.

All in all it's holding up well and still looks great. It has worn no worse than any other gun I've ever owned. Like I said, I carry mine, it's not a safe queen, so I expect it to wear. In most cases, the grips and frame, the wear is from contact with hard objects so I wouldn't call that natural wear. I think they would be pristine otherwise. But if you carry in a holster and use it (draw often) you will get normal slide wear.

Still, a great gun. If you're going to carry it go for the Tactical. If you're just going to keep it in a safe and shoot it at the range go for the Eclipse.

Jusy my $0.02

Methos

·
Registered
416 Posts
I saw a new Pro tactical at a gun show yesterday. The owner said that the gun shows more scratches and dings than the regular blue or stainless he has been dsiplaying. I think that goes for most parherized finishes though.

The satin finish on my CDP Pro is the best I have experienced. My kydex holster erodes on the gun, not the other way around.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would use it as a dual purpose firearm. It might be my bring along gun. No ccs in Nebraska but I still bring one along, rides on the seat. Also a range gun. I'm not up to the collecting more than one type of firearm to collect yet. Maybe in another 6
purchases or so.
:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts