1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gents.
I tried to google about HPs 30 Luger but sadly there is almost no information about it, why? When they were made? How rare and collectible they are? Is it possible to swap into a 9 mm barrel?
Thank you in advance.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
23,248 Posts
The .30 slide is lightened to suit the chambering; the .30 HP is not a 9 with a different barrel.

Reactions: EddieM1

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I bought a new .30/7.65 Hi Power back around '88 IIRC, when some distributor was closing them out. It was priced around $400.00 I think. I thought with a barrel change, I was going to have a 9mm/.30 dual caliber gun. WRONG! The .30 Hi Power has a slide so lightened, it almost looked fragile to me. It also has a smaller diameter barrel than the regular 9mm Hi Power. The magazines were also marked 7.65mm. So a nice commercially finished and reliable pistol, but of little interest to me after I used it to chronograph some .30/7.65 ammo, and I didn't keep it. Apparently there is collector interest in these now days....

·
Registered
369 Posts
I saw two in different shops, both in the box, in the late 80s. As folks said above the commercial guns had a thinner smaller slide. OTOH, I found a barrel on eBay once in .30 Luger that fits a normal slide and bought it. I also added another 9mm barrel which I had laying around and ran a 9X23 reamer in just long enough to make the chamber fit a .357 TSW (which is approx 21.5 in length), I also have a barrel and magazines for the .41 Action express - I keep all the barrels and springs in a bag for that particular "half power". I don't shoot the .41 much any more, since I have a couple of P-35s in .40 S&W.

I got lucky some years back and bought 3,000 rounds of Federal .356 TSW loaded with 135 Hydra Shoks - they go about 1270 and open up fine on vermin ... I doubt I'd ever carry one for self defense against people but they might leave a mark ;)

Riposte

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
23,248 Posts
Hey Rick and Rock,
Thanks for your reply,
It would be possible swap a .30 luger barrel into a 9 mm HP?
Regards
If you could find a .30 barrel with external dimensions of a 9 barrel, and you could load .30 hot enough to move the heavy slide (assuming FN did their homework, and .30 won't run without the lightened .30 slide).

Reactions: EddieM1

·
Registered
369 Posts
If you could find a .30 barrel with external dimensions of a 9 barrel, and you could load .30 hot enough to move the heavy slide (assuming FN did their homework, and .30 won't run without the lightened .30 slide).
Correct, but it could hinge on the main spring (the one that moves the hammer, not the recoil spring, but that too might be a factor) - Modern Brownings (and some clones) have a whale of a main spring (Just a guess but it is to reduce the wear and tear on the mechanism of the forged frames)...OTOH I have a 1936 and a 1941 P-35 and they have much less power on the hammer and have lighter recoil springs as well ( one of them may be worn but the Commercial 1936 gun has not been fired much - it was stored in a collection for 50 years).

Riposte

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I saw two in different shops, both in the box, in the late 80s. As folks said above the commercial guns had a thinner smaller slide. OTOH, I found a barrel on eBay once in .30 Luger that fits a normal slide and bought it. I also added another 9mm barrel which I had laying around and ran a 9X23 reamer in just long enough to make the chamber fit a .357 TSW (which is approx 21.5 in length), I also have a barrel and magazines for the .41 Action express - I keep all the barrels and springs in a bag for that particular "half power". I don't shoot the .41 much any more, since I have a couple of P-35s in .40 S&W.

I got lucky some years back and bought 3,000 rounds of Federal .356 TSW loaded with 135 Hydra Shoks - they go about 1270 and open up fine on vermin ... I doubt I'd ever carry one for self defense against people but they might leave a mark ;)

Riposte
Nice Riposte.
Thanks for your reply
Cheers

·
Registered
303 Posts
If I remember well, prior to year 2011, handguns chambered in 9 x 19 (9 Luger) were prohibited for the civilian market in Italy,
To circumvent the prohibition, various manufacturers, notably Beretta, offered pistols chambered in alternative calibers like 7.65 x 21 (.30 or 7.65 Luger) or 9 x 21 for the civilian shooters.
The HP in 7.65 Luger fit this niche.
In 2011, the italian guns legislation authorized the 9 Luger for civilian use.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I was told the .30 Luger Commander was meant for the Italian Market as well. Makes sense.

I have a 4.25" 586 in .38 Spl. (which I got N.I.B.) after a friend spotted it at a gun shop. He didn't want it so I bought it. I can't claim any credit for knowing about it but since we both had the Standard Catalog of S&W I copied the page - there were only 223 made - 200 of them went to South America and 23 remained in the U.S. - if I can't be good I'll take lucky :)

Of course the same book says there were only 650 S&W 25-7 "Target Model of 1989" (which are 5" blue, non-fluted cylinder in .45 colt - as opposed to plenty of 1989 625s in .45 Auto) - I found a used one and bought it - but I've seen several since, I'm not sure I believe there were only 650 (in fact I haven't looked up later versions of the book, maybe they changed that).

Then again, there are some surprises out there. Just heard last week, on a video by Rock Island Auctions there were only 250 Pythons made the first year - yet they have three of them for sale in one auction! Also I know a guy who collects fine guns who came across one of the 5 known Pythons in .41 Magnum - but he sold it before I got to handle it.

Riposte

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
All sorts of pistols were chambered in other than 9MM Luger for the Italian market. I have an H&K P9S in 30 Luger (only 600 made) from the Italian market. Colt chambered the 1911 in 9MM Steyr for the Italian market. I saw one here on the forum.

·
Registered
73 Posts
A good friend of mine back in CA was a big Luger fanatic and once let me try a magazine through his 7.65 Hi-Power; he'd brought it along with a Swiss 'shooter' grade early Luger and I had brought along my pre-war S&W Hand Ejectors, fun day. Anyway, while I can't speak much to the conversion factors, I found the Hi-Power shot extremely pleasantly with the lighter round, even though less than one might think with the slide lightened. It was a very flat shooter out to 25 yards; as much as our range (and my eyesight!) would allow for.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey Rick and Rock,
Thanks for your reply,
It would be possible swap a .30 luger barrel into a 9 mm HP?
Regards
Won’t work. The fixed barrel bushing that’s part of the slide has a smaller diameter than the 9mm HP. Also, the recoil spring guide assembly that inserts inside the recoil spring is a two-piece internally sprung unit.

·
Premium Member
12,137 Posts
Won’t work. The fixed barrel bushing that’s part of the slide has a smaller diameter than the 9mm HP. Also, the recoil spring guide assembly that inserts inside the recoil spring is a two-piece internally sprung unit.
It can be done, but it takes some work. Just depends on how bad you want it. The barrel can be coned/sleeved to fit the 9mm bushing. A lighter conventional recoil spring can be sized to work.

·
Registered
769 Posts
This is what you're looking for. Ron Shirk imported about 500 of them in the mid-1980's. I bought this one in 1988 for $340. As stated, the slide and barrel have been reduced for whatever reason and won't interchange with the standard 9mm slide. I reload for my 30 Lugers and have to load specifically for the Browning and also my Benelli B-80. They have tighter chambers and less throat leads than the actual Lugers.

I've converted several Lugers to 30 caliber using the same recoil spring as the original 9mm and they work fine. If you could get a 30 Luger barrel to fit a standard 9mm BHP slide, I have no doubt that it would function perfectly. The Luger below was a 9mm and now has a 6 inch 30 Luger barrel. It works fine with the original 9mm recoil spring.

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

Glass bottle Solution Liquid Drink Bottle

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory

1 - 20 of 21 Posts