1911Forum banner
21 - 21 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Correct, but it could hinge on the main spring (the one that moves the hammer, not the recoil spring, but that too might be a factor) - Modern Brownings (and some clones) have a whale of a main spring (Just a guess but it is to reduce the wear and tear on the mechanism of the forged frames)...OTOH I have a 1936 and a 1941 P-35 and they have much less power on the hammer and have lighter recoil springs as well ( one of them may be worn but the Commercial 1936 gun has not been fired much - it was stored in a collection for 50 years).

Riposte
I was once told by a well-known BHP gunsmith (C&S, IIRC) that the stronger hammer spring was to provide reliable ignition fighting against the stronger firing pin spring that came into use at that time. The stronger firing pin spring was intended to reduce/eliminate drop fires if the gun landed muzzle-down on a hard surface, and the inertia of the fining pin would cause the pin to fly forward and smack the primer. The same thing is reported to happen on 1911's occasionally,

The stronger hammer spring would also slow the unlocking and velocity of the slide, so probably it would increase the life of the gun somewhat. When C&S put a lighter hammer spring in my Mk3, they also put in a stronger recoil spring to compensate.

Cheers!

21 - 21 of 21 Posts