1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of getting a pair of navidrex grips...anyone tell me the difference (or can show me) between the black micarta and the grained ebony...I assume they are both black but it is hard to tell details from the little pics at Brownell's....thanks...

·
Registered
564 Posts
I have a MK III in 9mm with Navidrex thin micarta grips. After I did some fitting the grips fit perfectly and provide a thin profile.

·
Administrator
13,257 Posts
I have the thin Navidrex micarta on one and the Navidrex "rosewood" on another . I'm not much help . I like them both .

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have some experience with Navidrex grips.

Round one:
I have originally ordered a pair of Grained Ebony and Thin Micarta from Brownells. Micarta was too thin but it fit the gun nicely. Grained Ebony was good looking and classy but both sides were warped and the fit much less than ideal. I even got my hand pinched in the space between the grip and frame.

Round two:
I placed an order for many more sets of Grained Ebony and a few Dymondwood (red toned) grips. Again, NONE of the Ebony grips fit correctly - all of them were warped. Dymondwood was nicer and I picked a pair that had a great fit and colors were matched. The rest of grips went back for a refund.

If you are going for the black look, forget about Grained Ebony, they are NOT black. Micarta was nice, I just did not like the feel because they are TOO thin. If you are ordering from Brownells, order a few sets so you can pick. They will be happy (and quick) to refund your money without any hassle.

P.S. To get an idea on the thickness and fit, you can see some pictures of my pistol with the Dymondwood grips:

http://www.hunt101.com/showgallery.php?ppuser=8003&cat=500

Never mind the FEG, it was sold a few days ago.

P.P.S. Pictures on Brownells site do not show colors so well, don't go by them. Just get a sample of everything and return the ones you don't want.

·
Administrator
13,257 Posts
Given my choice , I also like those the best also . Asthetically as well as being more comfortable , they appeal to me . The thin micarta doesn't feel bad though .

I find most of the Navidrex need a small amount of fitting . When installed from the package , you sometimes get a little movement when gripping . I used a very small amount of Brownell's Microbed to build up the area in need . Then work it down so they fit snug . It's easy . I think a lot of grips are returned for that reason . Because of variances in frame size over the last 65 yrs of Hi Power mfg , they don't always fit snug .

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
guy sajer, I do have Micarta Navidrex on two of my High-Powers and I do like them but I prefer wood. I often wonder what checkered wood Hogues are like on a BHP? I have Hogues on my Kahr pistols and my CZ75: they fit and feel good in my hand. Regards, Richard:D

·
Administrator
13,257 Posts
That's why like the Dyamondwood [spell?] . It looks like rosewood , but is very tough and also resistant to cleaning chemicals .

I find the Hogue HP grips to be too bulky . They are uncomfortable in my hand .

Nice pistol !

·
Registered
17 Posts
I also have both the black micarta and the Rosewood Navridex grips for my HP's. I had no problem with the fit to any of my High Powers, I LOVE the look of both, and I LOVE the feel. They make the HP point much better, although they point excellent anyway. It's just a matter of personal preference, like a flat MSH (which I prefer) to the arched MSH on a 1911. Later, Stan

·
Registered
559 Posts
here is my clone with the dymondwood navidrex grips. according to Brownells all but the micarta (thin grips) are some type of palmswell design. I can't imagine wanting the grips any thinner than the dymondwoods are...

·
Registered
265 Posts
I really like the feel of the Navidrex Micarta's (I have short fingers), but prefer wood grips. Does anyone make them as thin as the Micarta's?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts