1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A bit of backstory before my question. I’ve got an 86 HP that I had my gunsmith go through. He put a C&S sear and hammer in it as well as a new hammer spring and lightweight firing pin spring. I wasn’t clear that my intention was to carry the pistol. He thought I just wanted the lightest trigger possible and installed the C&S 21 pound hammer spring/lightweight firing pin spring and left the recoil spring at the stock 17 pounds. The pistol worked great and fed both carry and ball ammo fine but research told me a higher weight hammer spring and recoil spring would lend better to overall reliability for a carry gun. So I got him to install the 26 pound hammer spring/matching firing pin spring and 18.5 pound recoil spring - both C&S units.

As expected the trigger is a bit heavier and the slide is harder to rack. I don’t mind. Trigger is only slightly heavier, still has a decent reset and has a crisp break.

I got it home and the very first round of carry ammo I tried to chamber jammed up on the feed ramp. Slide was forward when the magazine was inserted and then racked by hand. Not confident I allowed the slide to fall naturally I tried again and after a few feeds it happened again.

The gun has the updated non humped ramp BTW

Disturbed I looked at the bullet and it didn’t look like it even angled up at all to try and feed. It looked like it just ran straight forward and jammed into the base of the feed ramp.

I was using what I assume are the factory mags. I had new Mec Gar mags already so I grabbed one of those, loaded one and fed the pistol. It fed great and honestly just felt different in a good way.

I looked at the mags and found they look a bit different than the two “originals” that I got with the gun.

The middle mag is the new and the outer ones are the ones the gun came with. I still am planning a range visit tomorrow to test it but could these mags just be worn out and causing the problem? The followers appear different.
Automotive design Auto part Tints and shades Automotive wheel system Wood

Automotive design Metal Flooring Fashion accessory Bumper

Wood Flooring Tints and shades Road surface Bumper

·
Registered
799 Posts
I agree about the followers. Mine may be a simplistic approach to solve your problem, but if your new magazines work well (which I think you indicated), then just use them and forget the mags that came with the pistol. I've done this with many HiPower and 1911 mags. Why get frustrated trying to figure out a problem that you can easily solve with new mags?

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
23,252 Posts
I have not noticed any mag sensitivity in my HP.
In fact, the mags I use are the cheap South American/South African mags from CDNN, with metal followers, and the Mec-Gars usually stay in the box.
Regardless, use the mags that work in your gun, if it's just a matter of buying that particular mag.

Reactions: jetrinka

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another good thing about the new magazines is they don't rattle like the OEM ones when fully loaded.

I am going to take the pistol to the range tonight and test out two new Mec Gar magazines and see how it likes them. It seems to hand feed fine now when I tested it so I am sure it will feed fine while shooting too.

Side note does anyone know the reason for the different shapes to the front of the followers? One of the older mags has a much larger "dimple" in the front as opposed to the new magazine. Just something they did through the years?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Try new mag springs. Your old ones might be weak.
I'm just going to try new mags. When our wonderful governor decided to institute a "high capacity" (eyeroll...) magazine ban I bought 4 or 5 new 13 rounders from Mec Gar before it went into effect.

I may get new springs for the old ones though just to rebuild them and have.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Range visit proved fruitful. Ran about 300 rounds through it of mixed ball and hollow point with no failures. Two new magazines. Gun ran great.

All the sudden my groups were doing weird things. I was using those black/yellow splatter turns yellow where your shoot targets. Lol my eyes were getting tired and the front sight outline was getting super fuzzy and blending into the target. Switched to a light paper target and everything was fine. Phew!!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Here is a picture of three BHP magazines. From left to right:

1. A stock magazine that was in a 1976 C-series. Parkerized or phosphate finish
2. A Mec-Gar magazine. Seems same as #1, except for the blued finish. I find the blued mags cause a slightly grittier feel (because of the magazine disconnect), than the Parkerized magazine.
3. A newer Browning-marked "mousetrap" mag (marked "Made in Italy", I think by Mec-Gar). Trigger pull as in #1, but notice the slightly higher angle that the follower is presenting the round at. I believe (but cannot prove), that this was done to help non FMJ RN rounds feed better, especially in older guns with the hump. You can see how it might help the Critical Duty bullets in the picture. Because my CDs are +P, I have only fired two full magazines full in my BHP. Probably too small of a sample size, but they worked fine. I got them for a six-inch G17L, where I think they are a good match.

Hope this helps and doesn't just confuse the issue more!

Grille Hood Automotive lighting Wood Automotive exterior

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is a picture of three BHP magazines. From left to right:

1. A stock magazine that was in a 1976 C-series. Parkerized or phosphate finish
2. A Mec-Gar magazine. Seems same as #1, except for the blued finish. I find the blued mags cause a slightly grittier feel (because of the magazine disconnect), than the Parkerized magazine.
3. A newer Browning-marked "mousetrap" mag (marked "Made in Italy", I think by Mec-Gar). Trigger pull as in #1, but notice the slightly higher angle that the follower is presenting the round at. I believe (but cannot prove), that this was done to help non FMJ RN rounds feed better, especially in older guns with the hump. You can see how it might help the Critical Duty bullets in the picture. Because my CDs are +P, I have only fired two full magazines full in my BHP. Probably too small of a sample size, but they worked fine. I got them for a six-inch G17L, where I think they are a good match.

Hope this helps and doesn't just confuse the issue more!

View attachment 651615
Thank you for the information! It is interesting how mag 3 seems to angle the round up higher than the others.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts