1911Forum banner

HP magazines - New vs. Old style

1164 Views 8 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  MEH92
Hey guys,

I don't remember seeing this addressed in the BHP mag FAQ but if it is, I apologize ahead of time...

Most of the HP magazines I've seen are all metal similar to this...
but then I've seen this style with the plastic base which is what I'm referring to as the "new" style...

(sorry for the size of the photos)

Anyway, I know the "new" style has a plastic base with a spring in the back that hooks on the frame and will "pop" the magazine out when the mag release is hit but I also realize, if you remove the magazine disconnect, this "feature" become useless. So my questions are...

1. Are all of the mags that Meccar made with the plastic base 10 round magazines? I don't think I've seen a 13 rounder with it.
2. If there are 13 rounders out there with the plastic base, Is there any reasons to either seek them out or avoid them?

Thanks
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
4,780 Posts
Hello. All of the 10-rnd post-ban magazines I've seen have had the long plastic base and spring. The plastic base provides for the same LOA as the pre-ban 13-shot original-capacity magazines and the spring just insured that they clear the pistol when released. I have seen some of the 13-shot magazines with the spring, but not with other than the usual steel floor plate.

Best.

· Registered
608 Posts
the magazines with the plastic lower are for the US market only, they are always 10 rounders

I don't see the mousetrap spring as useless even if you remove the mag disconnect, gives extra confirmation for IPSC or the like ...

· Registered
43 Posts
Mr Camp........where can a person find the 13 round mags with the rat trap spring to make them drop free? If a person had one of those and one of the 17 round mags for backup you would have 30 rounds for concealed carry.

· Registered
608 Posts
yes the price of the 13 rounders with mousetrap spring is quite steep even here in Belgium, normal Mec Gar 13 rounders cost $20, 2 months ago I bought a nickled 13 rounder with mousetrap spring for $35

· Registered
247 Posts
I have seen many "Browning" packaged 10 rounders for the Hi Power. None of them actually had the mouse-trap spring in them, just a provision for one. Unless you get lucky or order directly from Browning, they may not normally sell them like that. Mine (two) came with my HP Practical.

Unless you live somewhere that still prohibits Hi Capacity magazines, why not get the MecGar 15 rounders? They're FLUSH-FIT, blued, and have metal floorplates. They have plastic followers, so? I paid about $19.99 ea. for two of them, plus $7-8 shipping. I was gonna' buy 13 rounders but I couldn't find a dealer who actually stated that the 13's were genuine MecGar and were selling them for anything near the price of the MecGar 15's. I only bought two of them and I'm still considering whether or not to buy at least one more. The quality is great, but 31 rounds when I carry my Hi Power seems more than adequate for me. I do have 13 and 32 rd. magazines as well.

· Registered
2,484 Posts
I just bought two Browning factory mags at a local gunshop. These are the 13 rounders with the spring. I still have my mag-disconnect safety in so the mousetrap spring is desirable for me. They were a bit steep at $40 each, but they were in stock and I was in a hurry to buy a few.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.