1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guys feel about HP38? My local gun store was out of W231 yesterday, and I'd heard the HP38 is pretty similar so I thought I'd give it a shot. Gonna try it in both my .45s and my 10mm. Any good or bad experiences with it? I'm going to start with the Hodgon recommended loads underneath a 230gr Lasercast in the .45s and a 180gr Lasercast in the .10mm.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I've got some I've used before,,,,not sure if its just me, but it seems to be a bit dirty,,,,seems I always end up with dirtier guns. Other than that I've had good luck with it,,,,I don't have a ton of load data for it, but the loads I have have worked well.

·
Registered
287 Posts
BenW,
I used have used HP38 and W231 for quite a few years and find them to be identical for all practical purposes.

good shootin', gunny

·
Registered
194 Posts
I like it. Think it's slightly faster than WW231 and a bit cleaner. Lots of flash though. My load is a Berry's 200 FP underneath about 5.8 grains to make IDPA PF. Tree Rat.

·
Registered
21,711 Posts
HP38 IS WW 231.
Not the same exact burning rate as over the counter cannister 231, so loading data varies, but it is made by Winchester-Primex on the same production line.
I once saw a vendor open a new 30 pound keg of HP38 to sell by the pound and pull out a card printed "W-231" and a lot number.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Jim - That's what I meant....HP38 is WW231 without one burn inhibitor coating. WW231 usually about .2 grains slower than HP38 in all loadings. Thanks. Tree Rat.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info guys. I'm loading some rounds with it tomorrow to work off all the turkey

1 - 9 of 9 Posts