1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got an email from a big fan in Co. who has downed 3 elk with his RZ-10. Yes, ELK. WOW, he is sending some pictures for us to enjoy. This just shows the capability of the 10mm round in the right hands.

Thanks,
Bob
DWF
:) :) :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
rhino465 said:
Congratulations!

What load did you use?
Where did you hit it and with how many shots?
What distance?
All shots with Pro-Load 180 grain JHPs...I'd answer your questions, but then more would be raised so, here is the story behind the 10mm RZ and taking down elk:

I had taken a bunch of rookies elk hunting (not recommended) and some had bull anbd cow tags, also not recomended for rookies. I was sitting in camp eating a piece of pie with a cup of coffee at about 11:15 since I had not eaten anything all day, when we heard shots. We look around and see some hunters shooting at a herd of about 50 elk. We still had some tags left so we went that way. When we got near, I could see that at least one elk had been wounded and saw a spike bull go down. I heard the other guys hit 4 times, but they retrieved no animals. A few of my guys shot and one killed a cow another hit a cow and another hit a 5 point bull. Since we left camp in such a hurry, my guys only had a few rounds of ammo and so here I was, with at least 4 wounded elk and my DW RZ-10mm and one of my guys had 1 round of .308 left. The first wounded animal I could see was a spike bull trying to top a ridge at 300 yards quartering away. I took the .308 and dumped him with a neck shot. Then I headed off into the woods and came across a cow, one shot in the head at about 40 yards did her in. Going back after the spike again, I jumped the 5 point bull. A running chest shot at about 50 yards put him down solidly. So 5 animals were down, and two were spike bulls, which were illegal in this unit. A call to the friendly game warden got me the privilege of getting those two spikes out of the woods and gutted out for him plus relaying what happened. The game wardens were appreciative of me putting down the wounded animals and the meat got donated so I guess it was good. With 2 of my guys having animals down from a different herd, I ended up not getting to eat until about 8pm that night. Long day. The 3rd elk was a first shot at a cow at about 80 yards. Hit in the chest and she dropped like a ton of bricks. FWIW, one of my rookies is now retired (hopefully by his choice) from hunting. The other 5 are going to be practicing this summer. The RZ has also racked up a coyote, a porcupine and a deer this year. I don’t advocate the 10mm for elk in all situations, but it makes a great back-up and a capable primary hunting arm if the skill and knowledge are present. I still have a cow tag left this year so the RZ might get another.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Wow! That's quite a story and some impressive shooting.

AND you did some community service work cleaning up the mistakes of those other guys!

Well done!

I'm guessing you got a lot of practice field dressing. I hope you had a good knife!

I suppose this puts to rest whether or not you can kill a whitetail with 10mm (or even .45ACP). ELK! With 10mm!!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Well, after having killed 60 head of big game myself, I was not really looking for practice :) Buck folding hunter did awesome again. Best piece of equipment for gutting...The Browning sliding hunter's saw. Makes short work out of ribs and pelvic bones!

I shot a 4 point Mule deer buck with a 10mm at 30 yards last year, he went straight down also. Just was not the RZ.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts