1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find anyone with 230 gr Hydrashocks anywhere near me which is northern DFW and on-line they are out of stock at places I've tried.

I picked up some Golden Saber's instead, which both Cabella's and Sportsmans Warehouse had plenty of.

Anyone seeing the same thing?

·
Registered
491 Posts
I have had 200gr JHP Fiocchi 45acps on order since July and was told when I called that they are 153 cases backordered and on 230 JHP over 450 cases back ordered...and do not expect any until next year...maybe...incredible...

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I agree with MarkW...I have thouroughly tested HydraShoks, Golden Sabres, Gold Dots, HST's, and several others...pretty much all of the factory offerings.

HydraShoks work just like they always did...just like they did 20 years ago, the only thing different is the bullet shape...they were originally trunacated cone.

HST's are just what they are advertised as...a damn good bullet.

Golden Sabres are the best performing of the "standard" factory loadings. (non LE loads)

Gold Dots are OK, but no better than Golden Sabres.

The best points about the Golden Sabres are no flash powder, they are designed to feed reliably, and they are easy to find.

NOTE: I'm not bashing anybody's favorite ammo...just stating what my backyard tests have shown...and these were not 10 round tests...since about September, I have went through nearly 5000 rounds of ammo, just because I wanted to see for myself what worked best. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
usmcmp said:
So which design is the best for a 4.25 in?

I fired all 5000 of those rounds I tested with a 4.25 inch gun...I came to the conclusion that standard pressure HST's were the best, but too hard to find.
Golden Sabres were a reasonably close 2nd and easy to find.

EDIT: ALL loads I tested were 230 grain bullets...I like em slow and heavy.

G

·
usmcmp said:
May I ask why?
I read a test on the HydraShoks years ago. The center post inside the bullet was meant to aid in dependable expansion. However (in the study) they also found that it served to displace the test media, basically making a channel for the bullet to travel through. Although it does penetrate deeper as a result, the wound channel was smaller and would collapse back down upon itself, basically sealing itself off. Less damage to the test media and no channel for fluid to escape out (ie it would take longer for the effects of the shot to be lethal).

That is why I choose not to use HydraShoks in a defensive firearm.

Why do I prefer GoldDot? Because they expand dependably, the jackets do not separate and they retain the weight or close to it. Just look around for tests on the GoldDot. Doesn't really matter what soft media the bullet was fired into, they all look the same when recovered. Well expanded and intact. You can't ask much more that that from a defensive loading.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
MarkW said:
I read a test on the HydraShoks years ago. The center post inside the bullet was meant to aid in dependable expansion. However (in the study) they also found that it served to displace the test media, basically making a channel for the bullet to travel through. Although it does penetrate deeper as a result, the wound channel was smaller and would collapse back down upon itself, basically sealing itself off. Less damage to the test media and no channel for fluid to escape out (ie it would take longer for the effects of the shot to be lethal).

That is why I choose not to use HydraShoks in a defensive firearm.
Absolutely right...but that center post does not survive past a layer of denim, or metal, or wood, or anything else.

The center post channels soft or liquid material outward to get the expansion started smoothly...and it works in soft stuff, but not through a barrier.

G

·
Again based on the test I read (and pictures), the post was still there on the recovered rounds. I will give that the newer "softer" Personal Defense offering may result in a total collapse of the post, but I have seen no proof of that.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
MarkW said:
Again based on the test I read (and pictures), the post was still there on the recovered rounds. I will give that the newer "softer" Personal Defense offering may result in a total collapse of the post, but I have seen no proof of that.
Thats odd...all of mine were Federal Tactical laods...and the posts did not survive...I will post a few pics...let me find some bullets

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
230 grain HydraShok fired point blank through 2 inches of wet cardboard into water.

230 grain Golden Sabre fired through the same thing

EDIT: sorry ...one of them is blurry. The HydraShok lost its jacket...I have it but I'm not sure which one it is...

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
usmcmp said:
Thanks, I will have to try the GS in my new NHC GRP II.
They will do the job...try them out, shoot them through anything you can think of just to see what happens...Its fun, and you learn a thing or to while you're at it.
MarkW is right, there is not 1 thing wrong with the Gold Dot bullet either...they fed and functioned fine in my Stinger...but some of those Golden Sabres looked really wicked after expansion. I like the profile of the Golden Sabre better...just in case.

EDIT: Its common knowledge that the Golden Sabres sometimes lose their jacket...but I have NEVER seen it happen early in the bullets trip through anything...they only shed it after they are FULLY expanded and they appear to have a pretty controlled expansion... I recovered one from a deer I shot recently, it penetrated 16 inches before shedding its jacket....I dont care what anybody says, jacket shedding after that much penetration will not affect the bullets perfomance...it has already done all its going to do.

G

·
Many years ago I shot a deer with 185 Gr Silver Tip. Deer jumped forward about 5 foot and fell. The jacket and the bullet were recovered just under the skin on the exit side (they did not exit). Basically the bullet had expanded to the point that there just wasn't anything left for the jacket to hang on to. Penetration was about 14-15 " and thats after penetrating both sides of the rib cage. Now that I mention that, I'm wondering why I don't have Silver Tips loaded in my carry gun. :)

If you stop and think about it, really with todays modern ammunition there isn't a spit of difference in performance between Winchester, Speer, Remington etc. All are going to penetrate, all are going to expand dependably,etc.

It narrows down to personal choice and what you feel feeds dependably in your firearm.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
MarkW said:
If you stop and think about it, really with todays modern ammunition there isn't a spit of difference in performance between Winchester, Speer, Remington etc. All are going to penetrate, all are going to expand dependably,etc.

It narrows down to personal choice and what you feel feeds dependably in your firearm.
True...the LE loads may have a little more to offer, but it doesnt seem cost effective to me.

And you made an excellent point...if the latest, greatest, super duper wonder bullet wont feed in your gun...you'd be better off with a pocket full of rocks.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts