1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the difference between these two rounds, when both loaded in 230 gr.? i went to Federal's website, and other than one being the "Premium" and the other "Classic" ammo, their specs are identical. I ask because i received a large quantity of the Hi-Shok, and want to see how it compares with the old stand by Hydra Shok.

Thanks!

chiz45

·
Registered
118 Posts
Chiz45,

One question: do both have the "nipple" in the center of the bullet cavity? Don't know if this makes any difference, I'm just curious.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no post in the Hi-Shok. From all my responses on other boards, no one seems to be able to tell the difference between the two. This stuff appears to be police issue, I'll have to give it a run through my 5" and 4" govts.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm not sure what the differences are between the two rounds but I do believe I've heard the Hi-Shok referred to as being a great performer at a good price, being less expensive than the "Premium" Hydra-Shok. I personally have no experience with it however.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Originally posted by [email protected]:
what is the difference between these two rounds, when both loaded in 230 gr.? i went to Federal's website, and other than one being the "Premium" and the other "Classic" ammo, their specs are identical. I ask because i received a large quantity of the Hi-Shok, and want to see how it compares with the old stand by Hydra Shok.

Thanks!

chiz45

This is from the Federal web site about
Hydra Shok;
Hydra-Shok® features a unique, patented center-post design and notched jacket. It delivers reliable, controlled expansion for efficient energy transfer and stopping power.Hydra-Shok is designed for law enforcement, hunting, home defense and personal protection.

And from Federal about their Hi-Shok;
The Hi­Shok Jacketed Hollow Point creates quick, positive expansion with proven accuracy. Its specially designed jacket ensures smooth feeding in autoloading firearms.

Here is a website for a good article and test results for various .45acp rounds, including the Federal Hydra-Shok. http://www.pistolsmith.com/viewtopic.php?topic=1636&forum=24&31

1 - 5 of 5 Posts