1911Forum banner

HydraShok vs. Hi-Shok

6325 4
what is the difference between these two rounds, when both loaded in 230 gr.? i went to Federal's website, and other than one being the "Premium" and the other "Classic" ammo, their specs are identical. I ask because i received a large quantity of the Hi-Shok, and want to see how it compares with the old stand by Hydra Shok.

Thanks!

chiz45
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Chiz45,

One question: do both have the "nipple" in the center of the bullet cavity? Don't know if this makes any difference, I'm just curious.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm not sure what the differences are between the two rounds but I do believe I've heard the Hi-Shok referred to as being a great performer at a good price, being less expensive than the "Premium" Hydra-Shok. I personally have no experience with it however.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Originally posted by [email protected]:
what is the difference between these two rounds, when both loaded in 230 gr.? i went to Federal's website, and other than one being the "Premium" and the other "Classic" ammo, their specs are identical. I ask because i received a large quantity of the Hi-Shok, and want to see how it compares with the old stand by Hydra Shok.

Thanks!

chiz45

This is from the Federal web site about
Hydra Shok;
Hydra-Shok® features a unique, patented center-post design and notched jacket. It delivers reliable, controlled expansion for efficient energy transfer and stopping power.Hydra-Shok is designed for law enforcement, hunting, home defense and personal protection.

And from Federal about their Hi-Shok;
The Hi­Shok Jacketed Hollow Point creates quick, positive expansion with proven accuracy. Its specially designed jacket ensures smooth feeding in autoloading firearms.

Here is a website for a good article and test results for various .45acp rounds, including the Federal Hydra-Shok. http://www.pistolsmith.com/viewtopic.php?topic=1636&forum=24&31

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.