1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading that Federal has made changes to their HydraShok recently. Can anyone tell me in what way?

·
Premium Member
2,029 Posts
Don't know what they have done, but do know the current 185gr +P shoots very well in my CBOB. More accurate than my handloads.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
From what I have read on the internet, Federal has removed the lead center post ( for lack of a better term ) inside the hollow point.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've not heard of any change to the Hydra-Shok ammo. Are you talking about the HST ammo? I shoot both in 9mm and .45ACP. The Hydra-Shok I have still has the center post - the HST does not.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
It is probably just me confusing facts and sellers BS pitches to try and sell ammo at an even more inflated prices.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I think Federal has 3 types of branding for their JHPs, HydraShok (with the post), HST, and Hi-Shok (looks like HydraShok w/o post). Not sure if they still make the latter, but I saw a couple of boxes on the shelf last year at WW. Could have been old stock though.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Gents,

I recently tested several boxes of new Hydra-Shock in my trusted Commander. This had been my carry load for over a decade with total reliability. SOMETHING has changed, IMHO.

The bullet hung on the feed ramp and the slide overrode the case...giving a bullet up stoppage.

This happened several times. I was using proven Wilson Model 47 magazines.

Prior to the latest stoppage, on this range trip, I fired about 100 rounds of vaious handloads and JHP's with ZERO problems, then the Hydra-Shock issue, I fired 100 trouble free rounds of other ammo AFTER the failure with no stoppages.

Like I said, somthing has changed.

I'm definitely going to a different load and will buy it by the case to avoid manufacturer's changes and "improvements".

This just points out that just because one load has worked well in your carry gun it doesn't mean the next box will. Hence, the "buy it in case lots" recommendation.

Wes

·
Registered
609 Posts
Hmmmm, the latest iteration of Hydra-Shok ammo available has caused me no trouble in multiple weapons. To include various 1911 pistols, the Ruger P90/97 and P345, the Sig P220, and an old Star PD.

Perhaps I just haven't found the "latest" examples, but I've been using Hydra-Shok since the 1980's. Good luck.

·
Registered
398 Posts
JR47,

I know what you mean. I've used Hydra-Shock for a decade with ZERO issues. Now this...
Unfortunately, I have none of my old stuff left to compare the "new" ammo too.
Shocked the dog doo out of me, to say the least.

Wes

·
Registered
609 Posts
I still have a case, or so, left. At one point I could get it from the local PD for providing a "shooting range" that I had access to for them.:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts