1911Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here are some pics. These are small. I'll post a link down below so you can see big pics. Some of these pics are really awful, sorry... the flash made things look... a bit bright...

Whole thing:

Type 3 slide marking:

Serrated slide stop, checkered thumb safety, checkered hammer. You can't really see the checkering, but I have verified that they match the serial number:

A bit of everything... you can note the checkered stamped trigger, checkering on the hammer, support ring around the grip screw holes:

Left side markings:

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Recoil spring plug, barrel bushing, slide stop. All blued, there is a little rust. The flash really brings it out :(

"G" stamp on the magazine:

Chamber - Barrel is blued, there is the HS stamp on the underside (can't see it here). You might be able to barely make out the "P":

Non blued feeding ramp, top of the frame, "G" stamp is out of the picture to the left:

I paid $1000. The guide rod isn't original I think - it isn't blued. Were the 1944 guids rods blued?

What can I do about the rust? The gun was well cared for by the owner, but he passed away and his wife let his guns sit around for a long time before she brought them in to be sold. I guess the rust must have started then. The gun was being soaked in CLP by the shopkeeper to stop the advance of the rust. I don't think any pitting has occurred.

How can I get rid of the rust? I suppose just routine cleanings will keep the rust from advancing (or coming back if I can manage to get rid of it). I REALLY want to keep good care of this - and as I said in another post, I'm a noob - but I don't want to screw up.

Hmmm... also - to shoot or not to shoot? Hard decision at this point. I really want to shoot it, but I don't think that would be a good decision. Talk me into it or affirm my thoughts that I shouldn't! :D

·
Registered
324 Posts
Looks great. Congrats.

Are you sure that's rust? It almost looks like dried Cosmoline. Comso is conservation goop that was slathered on for long term storage.

Brian

·
Registered
336 Posts
Beautiful gun there.

If the gun checks out as safe, I would not hesitate shooting it. Following recomendations I've received on this forum, I'd replace the recoil spring and the firingpin spring (keep the originals) and shoot it with normal 230 ball ammo. I would not shoot 1000's of rounds per session, but a hundred or two several times per year definately.

·
Registered
308 Posts
it looks good. i don't think that's rust, either. if you want to shoot it, replacing the springs with standard pound wolff springs is a good idea. it's easy and cheap to do. i don't see that shooting it once in a while will hurt the value. what beats a finish is holster and carry wear. that's my opinion, FWIW. if you plan on shooting a .45 all the time, then a more modern one is a good idea. take it out on veteran's day or memorial day ;)

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
PZ93C said:
It almost looks like dried Cosmoline.
The dark spots on the oppsite side from the ejection port on the slide might be, but what about the reddish spots inside the frame and on the face of the barrel bushing, etc? Sorry I'm new to this, no direct metal working experience.

stoneypete said:
Following recomendations I've received on this forum, I'd replace the recoil spring and the firingpin spring (keep the originals) and shoot it with normal 230 ball ammo. I would not shoot 1000's of rounds per session, but a hundred or two several times per year definately.
I was thinking of that - obviously I plan to take it out to maintain it and enjoy my ownership of it :) I thought of putting a few rounds through it every once in a while.

chuck s said:
Buy a modern M1911 to shoot!
I have two! :D I love 1911s. I plan to have 4 or 5 (not including any 'collector' pieces I pick up along the way). I will put thousands of rounds through the modern 1911s, but I will fire this RemRand as little as possible.

I want to keep it in damn good shape though - would it hurt it for me to put a magazine of rounds through it every once in a while? Say... once a month or so? I'll take it out weekly to maintain it, I imagine.

If the answer is truly "don't shoot it", I will oblige - I want to keep it in great shape and I want to respect the history and achievements that I feel it represents! I'm just trying to get a feel for what the limitations should be.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'd start with the mag or barrel bushing. Try WD40 and a toothbrush. Brake cleaner and the same toothbrush. Take the grips off when you do clean it.

Most of my experience is with still moist Cosmo, so I'm not sure how to get that out.

As far as in the cracks, if someone wiped the bulk of the grease off, it would force it down into the machining marks. That's what this looks like.

Brian

·
Registered
778 Posts
How's it shoot? I'm envious! :dope:

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
I agree that most of the spots look like dried grease. You can soak these in a small container with brake fluid to loosen the grease and brush them if needed. Don't use steel or bronze wool as the phosphate finish is a built up finish and anything abrasive will remove it.
The first part of the pistol to show wear from shooting will be the barrel. The top of the chamber slides across the locking lugs in the slide, and removes the finish after only a few hundred rounds. If you intend on shooting a high percentage finish 1911/1911A1, it is best to replace the frame, slide, and barrel and don't worry about the small parts.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I have several areas of both the barrel bushing and the recoil spring plug cleaned up now. It appears that indeed most of it was dried grease! The brown on the "G" marking on the magazine base pad is cleaned up too, leaving only a spot where it appears that rust has been removed. I'm in with the WD40 and a plastic brush working out the stains on the slide - these are far more stubborn! I'll post pics later! :D

If you intend on shooting a high percentage finish 1911/1911A1, it is best to replace the frame, slide, and barrel and don't worry about the small parts.
I am leaning towards not shooting this one and just trying to find a mixmaster to use as a shooter since this looks like such a fun gun to shoot. Not sure why this one is making me want to shoot it so much. I mean, my other 1911s make me want ot shoot them, but this one especially... :D Not gonna do it though!

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Forget WD-40, use Kroil and a toothbrush. WD is basically kerosene. Does NOT protect against rust and WD just stand for water displacing. Kroil will work much better and then use a rust protecting oil on it.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Looks just like the one I was issued as a MP. Thanks for sharing the pictures. If you have large hands I wouldnt fire it as mine usually bit the hand that fed it.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I picked up some Kroil and a stiff short bristled nylon brush on Saturday. I'm going to go to work on it again tonight.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.