1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A few months ago I was sick to my stomach because I thought I bid on my dream hi power on gun broker and won but did actually did not hit CONFIRM BID. So after dancing and celebrating I got to see a big bold OUTBID on the auction. It was a green mark II and for some reason only sold for $450!

It's haunted me since, but perhaps it happened for a reason because I successfully bid on another green one, but this time with novak sights installed already. It was much more expensive @ 700 (I was only bidding against one person but I didn't wanna risk losing it so I bid from his $400 straight to my $700). It didn't meet it's reserve the week before at a final bid of $550 so I really didn't have too much of a problem spending $700 on a Mark II.

Anyways, it looked REALLY green in the auction:

I picked it up from the store today and to my surprise it was barely green at all. In fact, it's almost black. In some light, it's almost a dark green, but the fact that it had the parked barrel (or is it blued?), novak sights already, and doesn't mention assembly in portugal despite being a 1987 made me not care about it not being the green I always wanted anymore. In fact, with the beautiful wood grips, it almost looks better.

The lighting in my garage makes it look a lot glossier and brighter than the gun really is. It's really a deep dark color like in the first photo.

now about these grips, I knew they seemed special, and someone who installed novak sights certainly wouldn't put on $25 dollar grips. I had another thread asking if anyone could ID them, but that was before the gun was in my hands. To my pleasant surprise I unscrewed them and found them to be $120 Esmeralda grips!

https://www.esmeralda.cc/browninggrips.htm

Now on to the gun. Is there anyway to tell if there are other Novak parts installed on this? I'm thinking no because there is no NOVAK roll mark on the slide which is part of the package deals if I'm not mistaken, but maybe someone can help me out. I'm fairly certain the sights were purchased separately from a package.

There's some grip tape professionally installed on them and while it's kinda ugly, they feel really good in my hands. Not sure if I will remove them or not.

Also, there is an X on the trigger guard, any idea what that means? I splurged on VZ grips, uncle mikes rubber, black navidrex and blonde navidrex to see what I like best. The Esmeralda definitely look the best but won't be the best for shooting. I really wish I had some cocobolo navidrex or craig spegel. Lord knows I spent that much on all those other grips combined, but I can't find any. If anyone wants to trade a few of my grips for your spegel let me know ;)

That dark mohagany color on a darker hi power just looks killer

I've heard that staining the philippine mohagany navidrex can get a similar color?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Congratulations on the winning Bid. No rest for the weary. I said the same thing, "I can finally rest" My Dream Mark III, i told myself, picked up a 9 mm.
Then i was warned on the forum. Once you buy one, you gotta buy another. Sure enough i bought a .40 S&W Chrome & black slide BHP, that i found on sale.
Good luck and a real nice pick-up!!
Scott

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
First of all, nice catch! You have a really nice looking gun... and the stocks are really special IMHO.

As to what parts NOVAK might of installed, I'd suggest you call NOVAK with the serial number and ask them... I would bet they can tell you...

BTW, if you decide you don't like the Esmeralda stocks, let me know... we might be able to strike a deal...

FWIW

Chuck

·
Registered
376 Posts
Congratulations on that!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Here's from the auction where the gun looks green. Must have been under fluorescent light or something.

I'll post personal pics soon. can anyone help out with the X on the trigger guard or why it doesn't say assembled in portugal?

Also, the barrel is "blued" but not shiny. Does that mean it's actually parked and not blued?

Also, I just noticed that the beaver tail sharp edges were chopped/rounded off

But the corners are jet black, which must mean the entire gun was refinished because otherwise it would have been pure steel under neath, right?

Might also explain the subtle texture on the whole gun:

Is that finish a characteristic of anything in particular? Cerakote? etc?

·
Registered
747 Posts
So let me do some cypherin'. I figure $225 for the Novaks, $120, for the grips, say $150 for the refinishing? So that makes the gun itself $205.00. Knock off the refinishing and you paid 350.00 for that HP. Pretty good day. BTW, it looks great. I wish mine looked that good.

·
Registered
133 Posts
It is probable that the Novak sights were installed by Novak and at that time the gun was refinished and some work was done. You might be able to call Novak with the serial number and see if they can tell you what was done if they did it (it looks their work though).

Your HP is an FN Herstal gun which is why it doesn't say "Made in Belgium - Assembled in Portugal" as it was made in its entirety in Belgium by FN.

An exceptional find and a colossal deal !!:rock:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Were not all Browning roll-marked HPs made by FN since the early 1970s assembled in Portugal, irrespective of being roll-marked "Assembled in Portugal" or not?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, they were all assembled in Portugal to my understanding.

I thought that FN hi powers were labeled FABRIQUE NATIONALE etc. etc. on the driver side like:

yet mine has the BROWNING UTAH roll mark...

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
That is a nice one.

I have an Izzy Mark II but no plans to do anything to it.

I have an Izzy Mark III on its way and the plans for it are Trigicon sights, round hammer, C&S trigger and sear, and maybe a refinish.

I actually like the original grips.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts