1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
29,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a few nice things. One can had at least two hundred .44 Special cases all ready to go and they were even primed. That was a pretty nice find. Another can has a couple of hundred rounds of .44 Shorts all loaded up and ready to go in it. I will have to play with that some more this winter. They are actually .44 Colt cases that Starline sent me when I ordered .45 Colt cases, five hundred of them to be exact. And they refused to take them back. That burned me up pretty good. Anyway a little research showed that .44 Colt cases are the same dimensions as a .44 Special case, the exception being that they are a bit shorter. A little experimentation with some low end .44 Special loads ended up giving me what I call a .44 Short l load that actually is pretty accurate out of my model 29s.
Last but not least another can had about forty brand new primed .243 Winchester cases in it.
Have to check the cans more orten.
Wood Art Metal Event Fashion accessory
Wood Ammunition Bullet Idiophone Musical instrument
Gold Wood Metal Electric blue Font

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Well, as we get older, I think it will become more and more common for our ammo cans to appear to be filling themselves! 😆 However, I’m not so sure I will ever misplace 17 bricks of primers like Bobby!😆
At least we know he wasn't mis-stashing Federals. Seventeen of those thickish Federal bricks would never fit in a single ammo can. :)

·
Registered
708 Posts
I sure wouldn't mind finding primers! When the shortages started I gave some to my son since I thought it would be a short lived situation. Haven't checked recently, but one of the local business apparently has some in stock. The price, of course, the new normal.

·
Registered
13,358 Posts
I had started a thread a bit ago titled "Primer Avalanche". There were hundreds of bricks available in that LGS at the time. That didnt last too long! There were 40 bricks of assorted names about an hour ago. They blew through the other stuff pretty quick, but they are consistently getting more.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
@USMM guy, after hearing you mention the .44 Colt cases a while back, I picked up 300 from a supplier I found on the web. They were Starline and like you, I have done some experimenting with lower end .44 Special loads. They do make some pretty nice plinking loads. The other day at the range, I had my Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan out and ran a box of the .44 Colts through it. The guy down the line watched me and asked if they were .44 Magnums? Deciding to be a wiseass I told him, "No, it's a special model chambered for the .44 Colt.". I then showed him some empty cases and a few not yet emptied. He examined them for quite some time before saying his brother had one just like it. After that answer, I decided to leave him hanging and didn't explain the specifics. 😆

Grumpy

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Nice. It's fun finding things I forgot I had. Especially firearms related.
When we sold the condo, I was cleaning out the garage. I found 4 ammo cans that were underneath my workbench pushed all the way to the back. Inside each were 500 rounds of 7.62 x 39 Barnaul Golden Bear that I completely forgot I had. Each one still in the shipping box that fit perfectly into an ammo can.

Reactions: DubfromGa

·
Registered
618 Posts
I had a similar experience almost 2 years ago when I thought it would a good idea to take an inventory of my ammo. Found a 50cal can on the back shelf with 1K of Speer Lawman in 357Sig. I knew I had one can with about 750 rounds in, but the one I found floored me.
Trip to the range was in order after that. 😉

·
Registered
195 Posts
My best find while looking through my stash of ammo cans. It was labeled “12 ga. slugs”. After popping it open, it had seven 5 round boxes of slugs and underneath were eleven 50 round boxes of Winchester .357 Mag 145 grain Silvertips that I had long forgotten about!. Quite a surprise!
Packing materials Material property Font Carton Packaging and labeling

Gas Font Machine Games Recreation

1 - 20 of 30 Posts