1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Kimber Classic Stainless LE, the firearm was made in 1997, and I bought it new in 1998. I've owned ALOT of 1911's and my Kimber has been the best one I have ever owned, or fired for that matter, I keep reading post about all the troubles with the new Kimbers, I just can't understand (nor beleave) how a company who made such a fine firearm as mine could could have droped in quality so fast!!?? Im not doubting anyone who has had problems with thier Kimbers, but I'd sure like to know if there is a problem with Kimber what it is!? Im going to tell you the truth, I've fired 13,228 (I log every round I shoot) through my Kimber, useing factory ammo, and MY reloads, going through my records I've had 9 malfunctions with it, six with my reloads, and three with factory loads, and no broken parts, every part on my Kimber is original, and it's still as acurate as the first day I bought it. Now Im not trying to be a smart guy, or in anybodies face, I really would like to know what if anything has gone wrong with Kimber??
Paul

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
As a collector of "old" Kimbers and a gunshow nut, I can assure you the QC has declined in direct contrast with the increased production volume.

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
The only problem with the assumption is that the numbers haven't increased all that much. Kimber's highest production year was 2000, the year before the Series II safety was introduced. Here are the numbers from ATF:

1998 31,762
1999 37,298
2000 49,075
2001 32,746
2002 46,653
2003 48,245
2004 44,856
2005 47,820

I think the "drop off in quality" can be attributed to the increased popularity of internet gun forums and the fact that, as has been said many times, if someone doesn't have any problems and isn't already a gun forum type, they won't go looking for help on the internet.

·
Premium Member
3,419 Posts
Well, we've been down this road a hundred times and while I respect Kruzr's dilegence and his passion for Kimber's 1911 offerings, I have to agree with AZ. As a disclaimer I will say that I've never owned a Series II Kimber and I have no intention of ever doing so. Not that I think they suck, it's just that the Series I's have proven to be top quality and I see no advantage to the Swartz safety. Besides, the internet was around in 1996 through 2000 but I've not seen many complaints about Series I Kimbers. I believe that Kimbers early guns set the standard for the 1911 production gun platform and pretty much saved the 1911 from extinction and I will always have at least one. But I won't buy a new one unless Kimber does a couple things, 1) put more emphisis on building the best production gun on the market and less on marketing, 2) offer all their models with or without the Swartz safety and let the buyer decide is they want it or not.

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
I love my compatriots Kruzer and Huevos. We've been through this conversation several times. I simply let history tell it's tale. Milt Sparks made the best holsters forever, and still do. If they were to quadruple their output, without the qualified craftsmen to do the work, they could be called Galco.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Kimber is taking their customers for granted, and is going to lose them if they keep this up. I used to be a Kimber die-hard, but they've gotten a real attitude over there in Yonkers since the late 90's, and life's just too dang short to stress out over Kimber's screw-ups. I've moved on, because eating Ramen noodles for a couple of months is worth the lack of heartache afforded by Les Baer and Ed Brown. I wish Kimber would turn it around soon, because they were just so dang fun to shoot, but I wont get my hopes up.

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
Well, we've been down this road a hundred times and while I respect Kruzr's dilegence and his passion for Kimber's 1911 offerings,
I really don't have any more passion for Kimbers than any other brand of gun worth the money. My 2 Kimbers add to my 2 Baers, 2 Colts, 2 SA's and the Brown in my 1911's.

I get paid 3 days a week to watch people shoot (and make sure they don't shoot anything they shouldn't) at a very popular indoor range in SoCal. We have over 2000 members as well as being open to the walk-in public. I see hundreds of guns being shot a week. Kimbers are very popular as are SA's and the usual mix of others. I don't see any more issues with Kimbers, be they new or old, than any other brand of gun.

I get to shoot lots of new 1911's that come into the range while I'm working (a great benefit.) Based on what I see and what I shoot, I still believe Kimber is the best 1911 for $1000 or under. I think they have too many "flashy" models but I'm sure their investors are very happy.

Just my 2 cents worth. BTW of those 2000 members, there are only a handful of us here on the forum.

·
Premium Member
3,419 Posts
Kruzr said:
I really don't have any more passion for Kimbers than any other brand of gun worth the money. My 2 Kimbers add to my 2 Baers, 2 Colts, 2 SA's and the Brown in my 1911's.
You have SA's.... :eek:

Just kidding! Happy Thanksgiving to you Kruzr and AZ Husker (love you too man) and everyone on the forum and especially to all the folks at Kimber. A safe and happy holiday everyone....

·
Premium Member
5,496 Posts
My thought on the matter is that the Kimber's haven't changed all that much, but people's PERCEPTIONS of 1911's have drastically changed since the introduction of Kimber's.

Used to be Kimber was the value leader. They had all the bells & whistles for a fair price. No one could touch them. No one was building 1911's like them. They were the ONLY kid in town!

Then every other 1911 manufacturer caught on, and starting building their guns up to a higher level. Add to that a slew of new 1911 builders making great guns, and our expectations have grown.

I bought my Gold Match in '98 for $870. The (MIM) bushing broke in short time, but before I cried about it over the 'net, I ordered a new one from Brownell's, and just kept shooting. I was still "in Luv" with the gun.

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
You have SA's....
Don't spread it around.... ;)
One of my SAs is the gun responsible for my interest learning to make 1911's work. :)

Happy turkey day to you "Eggs" and to everyone else around here.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Kruzr said:
Don't spread it around.... ;)
One of my SAs is the gun responsible for my interest learning to make 1911's work. :)

Happy turkey day to you "Eggs" and to everyone else around here.
I have one of those early Springers and after undoing most of what the last owner did it is a fine shooter, Not up to the Kimber standards of fit and finish, but more than accurate and reliable enough for carry. By the way my Kimber is a series 2 with about 10,000 rounds through it without a issue. I have replaced 1 part twice "recoil spring".

·
Banned
721 Posts
Kruzr said:
I think the "drop off in quality" can be attributed to the increased popularity of internet gun forums and the fact that, as has been said many times, if someone doesn't have any problems and isn't already a gun forum type, they won't go looking for help on the internet.
...and then then Hilton Yam and Larry Vickers chime in.

I think there is something for more serious at work here than internet lore or some organized vast Kimber conspiracy.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Yup, I'd keep your Brown too. :D

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I guess I have a better understanding now, and it's too bad, it's always sad to see a once fine American company go that rout. I guess I'll keep shooting my Kimber, and if and when I have a part wear-out I'll just take it to the local pistal-smith and have it fixed.
Paul

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
it is sad when a company starts letting QC fall. my brother swore by kimbers for years, he had both the custom and the pro carry. while i didnt like the front serrations on the custom, it was a very reliable gun to shoot, and very accurate.

when i got divorced my 1911's dissapeared slowly, and this year i decided to get back into law enforcement, and decided i needed a 1911. i went looking for a colt, because that is all i had carried in the past, when i couldnt find one i got a kimber custom II w/ night sights.

i didnt like the front serrations on them, or the extended thumb saftey but i could live with it. after shooting the gun for a while and having problems with realibility, i got rid it and by the time i sold it, i had found a different 1911 that grows on me everytime i shoot it.

i wont say kimber is a bad company, but they are no longer for me....

russel
SDMF

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Of all the complaints and problems I have read about on the great internet, I come to the conclusion that the problem is a lack of quality control at Kimber (like others have said).

I have not personally had any real issues with mine, but I do think their QC sucks. One Kimber can be perfect while another can be a mess... I think it may come down to one guy not doing their job or someone cutting corners, however it appears the compay still doesn't get it. I still see guns coming in new to our shop with some errors.

On a side note, I just traded my CDP Pro II in on a Sig Revolution Compact. I am starting to love Sig 1911's... And am very happy with them! :rock:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a CDP II and a Gold Match II and also a Custom Stainless first gen. and they are all fine. I havn't had any problems with them at all.
The Gold Match made me change mags to a different brand so my SWC would feed for Bullseye shooting, but no other problems.
The CDP II is flat out a great gun. And I love the melt down of the slide.
Others say they knock the edges off for carry but the CDP is way beyond that, with every edge rounded off. I have to admit I don't shoot it as much as the Gold Match but it's still great.
I guess maybe I've just been lucky......................my 2 cents

1 - 20 of 20 Posts