1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have AR's but no Colts. I would like to know what I have.

Colt Sporter Match HBar
SN MN0260XX
20" barrel
One piece carry handle.

Thanks, Guys
40ford

colt

·
Registered
399 Posts
Not really an AR15, it's a semi auto M16 being that it has the full rifle length barrel, carry handle and I'm assuming the one piece non-collapsing stock. It should be a great shooter and do just about anything you need it to do.

Can you look over the barrel and find the twist rate of the rifling? Should be either 1:7 or 1:12. If it's the slower rate it'll only work well with lighter 55gr or 50gr ammunition, won't stabilize the 62gr or heavier properly. The 1:7 will shoot just about anything well.

·
Premium Member
15,387 Posts
Not really an AR15, it's a semi auto M16 being that it has the full rifle length barrel, carry handle and I'm assuming the one piece non-collapsing stock. It should be a great shooter and do just about anything you need it to do.

Can you look over the barrel and find the twist rate of the rifling? Should be either 1:7 or 1:12. If it's the slower rate it'll only work well with lighter 55gr or 50gr ammunition, won't stabilize the 62gr or heavier properly. The 1:7 will shoot just about anything well.
It's an AR15. This model will have exceptional accuracy. It could be a 1:9 barrel which was the standard for a long time. 55 gr or 62 gr is best for that. Because of the A2 configuration (fixed carry handle) putting an optic on it is not really feasible. It could be worth enough to sell and get a more up-to-date one.

ETA: I looked it up and it is a 1:7 barrel so the heavier ammo (62-77 gr) is what it wants. Looks like a new one is about $1700.

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
A R6601 Sporter Match HBAR should have a MH serial number prefix.. Not MN it was made around 1990-1991 Would have a large front take down pin and a sear block MOST do anyway, No bayonet lug but should have a flash hider. And be a 1-7 twist chrome line heavy barrel, With A2 upper and rear adjustable sights.. And the receivers are usually a greyish color as it is a pre ban Colt and that is the color they were then..

·
Premium Member
15,387 Posts
With emphasis on the 'pre-ban' nature of the rifle, it will have more value in several unfortunate states.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Sounds like a great find. And pre ban also. I've pretty much preferred Colt AR's since my military days in the 70's. Today there is so many manufactures you can't name them all. You need to post some pictures soon.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just sold one new in the box for $1400. From the 1990s. No bayonet lug. A2 version fixed handle. Luckily I sold it before Walmart discounted theirs. $700 here got u a new 6920

·
Registered
23,559 Posts
I have one NIB.

I bought it brand new in 1993 just when all of the Clinton foolishness was getting fired up. I never have gotten around to firing it. I have thought of selling it a few times as it does not lend itself to optics well.

But the thing is put together like a Swiss watch and I just can not bring myself to do it.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
While it may not be ideal, you can still put an optic on that carry handle on your Match HBar. ACOG will work with the carry handle mount they provide.

Rudy

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Colt is a 1/7 twist

Cleaned the estate Colt up and checked it out. I don't think it has been shot much. It had a lot of dust on and in it.

Got a case of 5.56 ammo with it and only 4X20 boxes gone.
40ford

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
You've got three options or mounting an optic. First and least desirable, mount it on top of the carry handle. Options two and three are a toss up. Either buy a stripped upper receiver and install the gas block, tube, barrel and nut from the original onto the new stripped upper (about 80 bucks plus tools) or simply buy another complete upper. Verify takedown pin size. You may need bushings. Colt had a few "Monday guns".

·
Premium Member
15,387 Posts
Yeah, you can put a 'carry handle scope' on it with a 'Delta' cheekpiece on the stock to get your head up where it has to be. It's just uncomfortable and really half-azzed considering what you can easily do with a flat-top upper receiver. But I wouldn't modify it at all. The things are scary-accurate if you can see well enough to use the sights and it should process ammo through it like crap through a goose. :) I had a 20" Bushmaster A2 'National Match' with a fluted heavy barrel back in those days and it out shot my 16" carbine with a 4X ACOG that I now have - wasn't particularly practical or useful, but very satisfying. The flutes in the barrel mitigated the weight of the HBAR to some extent.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,155 Posts
A R6601 Sporter Match HBAR should have a MH serial number prefix.. Not MN it was made around 1990-1991 Would have a large front take down pin and a sear block MOST do anyway, No bayonet lug but should have a flash hider. And be a 1-7 twist chrome line heavy barrel, With A2 upper and rear adjustable sights.. And the receivers are usually a greyish color as it is a pre ban Colt and that is the color they were then..
That's the gun I have; fixed handle, sear block, 1:7 twist, flash-hider, but no bayonet lug. Essentially a civilian M16A2.
I've shot nothing but 55gr bullets in mine, and can bust clay pigeons at 200 yards when I do my part; seems accurate enough.
They do have some collectability, as Colt continued to delete "features" to placate the gun banners.

·
Administrator
73,107 Posts
I used to have a 20" Bushmaster HBAR in the same setup, back around the '94 AWB. I could easily put 5 shots into a hole the size of a dime at 100 yards. That's one of the rifles I most regret selling. I'd have gotten a Colt instead, but in all that beat-the-ban craziness a Bushmaster was all I could find (and it wasn't cheap). I know that the old A2 config, full-length AR isn't very fashionable nowadays, but they are fantastic rifles to take to the range. Keep yours just the way it is and get a short M4 for your Armageddon gun.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts